Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think California should split into multiple states?
Yes, split it into 2 states. Call one "North California" and the other "South California" 68 30.36%
Yes, split it into 2 states. Give one of the 2 states an entirely new name. 14 6.25%
Yes, split it into to 3 or more states. 35 15.63%
No, leave it as one state 101 45.09%
Other 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:33 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times

Advertisements

What's really ironic is that years ago if the British navy had been two weeks earlier sailing into Monterey Bay we would have probably ended up as commonwealth members of the United Kingdom, similar to Canadians. But the Brit tars dallied in another port too long and US Navy Commodore Sloat, recently back from Hawaii, beat them to it. Thus his fleet defeated the token force of Spanish soldiers "defending" the harbor [actually not much happened] and we ended up U.S. citizens, instead. Either way we would have still been Californians.

Back OT, we really are made up of a least three distinctive geographical and economic areas - with all the competing interests that implies. But we will never be allowed to sensibly divide ourselves into political subdivisions that make sense. There's too much money and "power" at stake for that to be allowed to occur. If we can't have reasonable assembly districts then we'll never have responsible state government. Our "betters" in Sacramento won't let us. And once elected they are in office for life - they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,225 times
YEAH I THIK IT IS...

Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 10,225 times
Default Hi

YEAH I THINK IT IS

[URL=http://www.treatmentcenters.org/north-carolina ]North Carolina Treatment Centers[/URL]

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM

100 posts, read 363,257 times
I have a "love hate" relationship with California. Lived in So Cal for a few years and loved the weather but hated the high cost of living and taxes. If California split into two states with the Northern half starting around Mendocino County and the southern half including everything south all the way to the Mexican border I'd probably seriously consider a move to the new state of Northern Cali

Old 08-08-2008, 08:24 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaandOhio View Post
If California split into two states with the Northern half starting around Mendocino County and the southern half including everything south all the way to the Mexican border I'd probably seriously consider a move to the new state of Northern Cali
Actually the most discussed demarcation line was just below Kern County and through the Techachapi mountain range - so you'd be out-of-luck there. And as you didn't say but probably already know, any other part of the state that was included with Bagdad-by-the-Bay would be doomed to second-class status for life anyway. So it ain't gonna happen, I'm betting.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 AM

164 posts, read 516,831 times
Parts of Southern Oregon and Northern California have a group of people that want to make their own state. They want to call it Jefferson.

Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon - A State of Mind

I'd move their if they'd do it.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM

259 posts, read 765,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
LA and SF pay more taxes on their own than the entirety of your "new California." Broke does not mean "tax paying." Tax paying implies working. SF works. LA works.
Well, let those places pay their taxes for their bloated government and nanny welfare state and the rest of us can be more self sufficient and keep our hard earn cash.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:08 PM

259 posts, read 765,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
Parts of Southern Oregon and Northern California have a group of people that want to make their own state. They want to call it Jefferson.

Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon - A State of Mind

Me too.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post

I agree. Nice places like Eureka and Arcata have lots of beautiful redwood trees and abundant rainfall, and friendly down to earth people. They should not be dragged down with the rest of California. Let's send the top 1/3 of California to the Pacific Northwest where it belongs so it can be free at last!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The question should be: Should California split from the United States? YES
here here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California