Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Why should the cashier greet you?
Because you are a human being and she's interacting with you? Are you one of those autists who populate the Internet?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM

254 posts, read 316,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Because you are a human being and she's interacting with you? Are you one of those autists who populate the Internet?
No, just someone who wants to get their groceries bagged as soon as possible and go home - not deal with the cashier's fake or superficial interest in his life.

Most people are too stupid, annoying, or boring for human interaction not to be a chore, more often than not.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Are French Canadians more friendly than Anglo Canadians but less friendly than Americans?

Calling Acajack...

Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Nicest Canadians:
- ethnic ones
- rural ones
- Quebecois, they are like up front Northeasterners who happen to speak French

Less friendly Canadians:
- Vancouverites

Many Canadians report the same "vibe" upon moving to Vancouver that some Americans experience upon moving to Seattle. Is it any wonder? They are 150 miles apart.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Are Canadians less friendly than Americans

With some 36 million Canadians i'd assume some are friendly some arent just as presumably some Americans are friendly some arent,kinda hard to give relevant data on such a vague subject that can only be answered by stereotyping,stereotyping is a very poor way to get credible/specific information so we can only go by personal experiences,in my social circles every one is friendly.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Nicest Canadians:
- ethnic ones
- rural ones

Less friendly Canadians:
- Vancouverites

Many Canadians report the same "vibe" upon moving to Vancouver that some Americans experience upon moving to Seattle. Is it any wonder? They are 150 miles apart.
I guess I qualify on two fronts then.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I guess I qualify on two fronts then.
- met nice people in small towns in the Canadian Rockies between the border check with Idaho, en route to Calgary
- met nice people in small towns in Quebec, like Cap-de-la-Madeleine, and in the 2 big cites in Quebec
- met nice people from the small towns in Saskatchewan or Manitoba who were traveling
- met nice people who were recent immigrants to Canada sitting at YYZ or YUL, or in coffee shops

I would say the only jerky people I've met were North Shore or Kitsilano areas of Vancouver types. They weren't being jerky to me, but you could tell they were jerks.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
It is no wonder that due to the vastness of both countries, it isn't so easy to mark a dichotemy between Canada and the U.S. Sure there are common threads linking one country versus the other, but at the same time regional similarities crossing borders in those areas cannot be understated!

Quote:
Nicest Canadians:
- ethnic ones
- rural ones

Less friendly Canadians:
- Vancouverites

Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are French Canadians more friendly than Anglo Canadians but less friendly than Americans?

Calling Acajack...
Francophones are more talkative and outgoing than anglophones in Canada, but are also less formally polite.

They are much more likely to start a friendly conversation with a stranger, but less likely to hold the door for you when entering a building...

Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Nicest Canadians:
- ethnic ones
- rural ones

Less friendly Canadians:
- Vancouverites

Sorry but I've got to laugh. Vancouverites? You do realize that if you were to stop " Vancouverites " on the street and ask them if they are born and bred Vancouverites the answer is most likely no. I have one friend out of many that was actually born and bred here. The rest are from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, Mexico and parts of the U.S.
So what is it about Vancouver that suddenly makes someone less friendly after moving here?
This is no different than any other city really. I am a firm believer that it really isn't a city that isn't friendly but a person's experiences labelling it such.
I have had rude service all over the world and great service all over the world. I have never felt that a whole city is unfriendly because...well because that would be impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada