Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 02:42 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,321,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Simple numbers seem to suggest that the US would have a much higher quality of life and living standard, but they don't. Countries with higher taxes do.
Measuring "Quality of life" is very tricky too.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Vancouver is looked upon for how to do urban planning well, Seattle not so much.
The two cities are completely different from an economic standpoint, what works for Vancouver it doesn't for Seattle.....we have a lot of legacy industrial areas and the geographical layout is different. Seattle have big populated areas immediately north of it all the way to Marysville (with industrial plants, factories, shopping malls, warehouses, etc... in it), Vancouver is pretty much the end of the road.
The "Vancouver model" simply does not make sense for Seattle.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,614,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Measuring "Quality of life" is very tricky too.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/thou...lide=1.3351399

The link is weird, you have to click on the four little squares that make one square in the top right hand cornet to get all the photos.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The two cities are completely different from an economic standpoint, what works for Vancouver it doesn't for Seattle.....we have a lot of legacy industrial areas and the geographical layout is different. Seattle have big populated areas immediately north of it all the way to Marysville (with industrial plants, factories, shopping malls, warehouses, etc... in it), Vancouver is pretty much the end of the road.
The "Vancouver model" simply does not make sense for Seattle.
The Vancouver model is about liveability. Parks, services, and density. Seattle is just NOW trying Vancouver's successes, but with different models of organizations involved in city planning, Seattle has a harder time in things like Transit, with 12 authorities to deal with, whereas the Metro Vancouver has just one authority. That's just one example...zoning laws is another.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
The Vancouver model is about liveability. Parks, services, and density. Seattle is just NOW trying Vancouver's successes, but with different models of organizations involved in city planning, Seattle has a harder time in things like Transit, with 12 authorities to deal with, whereas the Metro Vancouver has just one authority. That's just one example...zoning laws is another.

Seattle has never and will never try to be Vancouver (why it should be?? The city is incredibly successful, while Vancouver is little more than a RE speculator hotspot getting more desperate by the day to keep the game going)....it may adopt some specific solutions as any city does (the same as Vancouver, it has not invented anything, everybody copy from everyone) as Vancouver tried several times (and fail) to imitate the Venture capital model that made cities like Seattle or San Francisco so successful.

Livability is not only parks and density....actually density, if taken to the extremes, detracts from livability. QoL of a family of 3 or 4 living in a 800 sq/ft shoebox for example is lower than the same family enjoying a modest but roomier SFH with a usable back yard.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-25-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/thou...lide=1.3351399

The link is weird, you have to click on the four little squares that make one square in the top right hand cornet to get all the photos.
So where you trying to get at?? I can find pictures of extreme poverty in Canada too....wake up...

Remains of a homeless park in Stanley Park....

Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,530,193 times
Quote:
....for a Canadian, maybe so....
I was born and raised in Canada. What you say isn't true for all Canadians of course, but I know that you of all people would appreciate that, saturno_v.

The climate in most of Canada is abhorrent for about half of every year. That so many Canadians try to refute or to contest this is always most puzzling to me.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I was born and raised in Canada. What you say isn't true for all Canadians of course, but I know that you of all people would appreciate that, saturno_v.

The climate in most of Canada is abhorrent for about half of every year. That so many Canadians try to refute or to contest this is always most puzzling to me.

I know, actually most of Canadians have no problem admitting that even if they have to live in it.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
So where you trying to get at?? I can find pictures of extreme poverty in Canada too....wake up...

Remains of a homeless park in Stanley Park....
Nothing in comparison. Don't even try. The north has how many people? Compare that to the millions on social assistance in the US. THOUSANDS lined up for a free clinics in the US. No go zones in US cities. 10 times the murder rate. Anyone comparing Canada's social issues with the US KNOWS that the US has many, many, many more problems. Like I said, don't even try unless you want to look foolish.

I know it bugs you that overall Canada just does MUCH better for overall than the US for things that you dismiss.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

Abhorent to whom? I love the climate I live in. My friends in Toronto and Montreal embrace winter, but depending on your age try to escape for a couple of weeks.

Millions of Americans are the same. Are people in the northern parts of the US suffering?

Do people not flock to ski resorts in winter? Do people in parts of Texas, Arizona etc HATE the heat in summer???

The way some people take here it's as if Canadians are trapped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada