U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2015, 02:00 PM
 
34,408 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29887

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not really a question of pride, but sure... he ''gets'' a lot of things.
I'll take that to mean you are in agreement with the points posted in post 128.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2015, 02:13 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,956 posts, read 6,280,004 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
What is the ROC paying for, exactly?
See post 145.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2015, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,954 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
See post 145.
Once again, you seem to have trouble understanding that most taxes in Quebec are paid by francophones as they are the vast majority of the population.

The only ''top-up" that Quebec receives from the feds is equalization, and this is because it qualifies under certain formulae, not because Quebec is treated specially. The majority of the other provinces also receive this type of payment.

Equalization for Quebec amounts to about a coffee per person per day. That's not what pays for all of the services Quebec anglophones get in Quebec (it seems like you are insinuating this - that Quebec gets so much extra money from the rest of the country that the least it can do is provide gold-plated services to its anglo minority).

Actually, by Canadian standards Quebec does provide gold-plated services to the minority.

A province like Manitoba receives more equalization per capita than Quebec does. As does Nova Scotia. If equalization makes such a difference, you'd think provinces like these could also provide gold-plated services to their francophone minorities, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2015, 09:10 AM
 
34,408 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Once again, you seem to have trouble understanding that most taxes in Quebec are paid by francophones as they are the vast majority of the population.

The only ''top-up" that Quebec receives from the feds is equalization, and this is because it qualifies under certain formulae, not because Quebec is treated specially. The majority of the other provinces also receive this type of payment.

Equalization for Quebec amounts to about a coffee per person per day. That's not what pays for all of the services Quebec anglophones get in Quebec (it seems like you are insinuating this - that Quebec gets so much extra money from the rest of the country that the least it can do is provide gold-plated services to its anglo minority).

Actually, by Canadian standards Quebec does provide gold-plated services to the minority.

A province like Manitoba receives more equalization per capita than Quebec does. As does Nova Scotia. If equalization makes such a difference, you'd think provinces like these could also provide gold-plated services to their francophone minorities, no?
This whole line of bunk sounds very much like Lex Diamonds rant a few days ago. Anglos expecting some kind of special gold standard from Quebecs francophones?, and this line of logic of Quebec Anglos being responsible for Quebecs pathetic financial situation?.
As for your cup of coffee analogy? Do the math=

Quote:
Federal Support to Quebec

In 2015-16, the Government of Quebec will receive $20.4 billion through major transfers – an increase of $8.4 billion from 2005-06.
In 2014-15, the Government of Quebec will receive $19.6 billion in major transfers, accounting for 27 percent of its revenues in that year.
Spin it anyway you like AJ fact is Quebec is a have not province and relies heavily on Canada for much financial support to prop up its failing infrastructure.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/17...ayment-program

Last edited by jambo101; 08-06-2015 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,954 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This whole line of bunk sounds very much like Lex Diamonds rant a few days ago. Anglos expecting some kind of special gold standard from Quebecs francophones?, and this line of logic of Quebec Anglos being responsible for Quebecs pathetic financial situation?.
As for your cup of coffee analogy? Do the math=

Spin it anyway you like AJ fact is Quebec is a have not province and relies heavily on Canada for much financial support to prop up its failing infrastructure.
Quebec proves that not all is equal in Canada's equalization payment program | R
I know you know it's not the case but it's interesting how your posts, to the less informed, give the distinct impression that the Government of Canada does not collect any taxes in the province of Quebec and that all of this is ''free money'' from the rest of Canada going into Quebec.

When in actual fact, almost all of it (except for equalization, which I have already addressed) is simply money going out (federal taxes we pay to Ottawa) and then coming back in (services we get from Ottawa).

Your silence on this fact isn't a mere coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 08:32 AM
 
34,408 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29887
When have i ever been silent on a subject about Quebec? gotta sleep sometime eh.
That link i posted sums up the benefits Quebec derives from transfer payments, sure Quebec pays taxes but gets much much more back in the form of equalization payments. Money obviously needed from Canada to maintain its existence as Quebec cant financially stand on its own 2 feet.
While you claim to want to stay within the Canadian collective i believe thats not from any form of patriotism to Canada but because you know the financial catastrophe that would befall Quebec if it chose to separate.I believe if Quebec were a have province like Alberta and was paying vast sums of money in support of have not provinces i suspect you'd have an entirely different viewpoint on separation.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-07-2015 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,090,954 times
Reputation: 10315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When have i ever been silent on a subject about Quebec? gotta sleep sometime eh.
That link i posted sums up the benefits Quebec derives from transfer payments, sure Quebec pays taxes but gets much much more back in the form of equalization payments. Money obviously needed from Canada to maintain its existence as Quebec cant financially stand on its own 2 feet.
While you claim to want to stay within the Canadian collective i believe thats not from any form of patriotism to Canada but because you know the financial catastrophe that would befall Quebec if it chose to separate.I believe if Quebec were a have province like Alberta and was paying vast sums of money in support of have not provinces you'd have an entirely different viewpoint on separation.
That's ok. Alberta is rapidly on it's way to being a have not as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 09:56 AM
 
18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Reputation: 13370
Has this trend worsened throughout 2014 onward?

More Quebecers moving to other provinces, report says | Montreal Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM
 
34,408 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29887
English language discrimination,massive government overspending.Ongoing government corruption.,language laws,high taxes,bloated government,
Seems this direction by the Quebec government isnt endearing people to stay in Quebec,even many of the francophones find moving to the ROC preferable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Quebec
30 posts, read 25,891 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
English language discrimination,massive government overspending.Ongoing government corruption.,language laws,high taxes,bloated government,
Seems this direction by the Quebec government isnt endearing people to stay in Quebec,even many of the francophones find moving to the ROC preferable..
Luckily you are going to vote PKP, hopefully he can implement some of his business prowess to restore Quebec's economy and also achieve sovereignty. We can kill two birds with one stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top