Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 05:32 AM

692 posts, read 957,511 times

Advertisements

[quote=jambo101;40659546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
We get it,thats why almost all Anglos in Quebec are functionally or fluently bilingual and our kids come out of school fully bilingual. For those Montreal Anglos that didnt want to integrate/assimilate into the Quebec mosaic its only a move of 60 miles west or south and French then becomes irrelevant.
The vast majority of francophones outside Quebec dont have to learn English as they are usually several generations removed from their francophone heritage and are basically Anglo from birth, i'd say its the rare unilingual francophone who leaves Quebec and relocates to the ROC. Also those francophones outside Quebec arent subjected to the English equivalent of Bill101 and its language police and a plethora of anti francophone language legislation.,
Dude, 1/3 of Anglos in Quebec don't speak French. What are you talking about?

As for Francophones outside Quebec not being subject to Loi 101...that's because again, nobody needed to FORCE them to learn English and interact with their wider society, they just did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
lexdiamondz1902...Dude, 1/3 of Anglos in Quebec don't speak French. What are you talking about?

As for Francophones outside Quebec not being subject to Loi 101...that's because again, nobody needed to FORCE them to learn English and interact with their wider society, they just did it.
[/quote]

Is this data coming from your own personal census?
But fear not Lex you could very well live long enough to see the last of those dastardly Anglos in Quebec as they are moving elsewhere to find new cultures to conquer and victimize, they have become tired of you francophones not bowing down to their wishes by being the good subservient and suppressed minority like you apparently have been for the last few centuries. Perhaps when your newly discovered set descends you could some day rise above cultural wimp status and actually separate from Mother Canada and form your own country..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-02-2015 at 06:17 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
It's the anglos own damn fault they're "uncomfortable". Francophones in the rest of Canada learn English but somehow anglos expect to be catered to in Quebec.
Montreal is or at least once was a major world city. New York City is by usage an English-speaking city yet we don't have laws against the use of other strong secondary language, such as Spanish or Chinese, or for that matter any languages.

Montreal on the other hand has Bill 101 and other laws severely restricting the use of English. If Quebec doesn't want to have a major city of world importance so be it.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Montreal is or at least once was a major world city. New York City is by usage an English-speaking city yet we don't have laws against the use of other strong secondary language, such as Spanish or Chinese, or for that matter any languages.

Montreal on the other hand has Bill 101 and other laws severely restricting the use of English. If Quebec doesn't want to have a major city of world importance so be it.
I'm not an Anglo with roots in Quebec nor do I live there so I truly can't relate to how it is to be one.. With that said, I can understand a desire of a place to protect its language and culture when it is surrounded on all sides by English elephants. This is why caution is needed when rendering judgement on either side. We in Toronto or NYC or Boston etc can say what are they doing with their language laws in Quebec - what are they insane we don't do these things but than again we don't have to JB - we aren't surrounded by a French Giant on all sides with 350million people vs our own sub 10 million.

As for Montreal, its importance in Canada relative to Toronto has waned vs the past, there is no doubt about that.. Toronto however, has been growing in prominence for quite some time so even if the separatist movement never occurred and even if anglo business didn't flock to T.O in the 70's, Montreal would have still had to compete with an emerging Toronto and there would have been no guarantees it would remain the top (speaking mainly in economic terms).

Montreal is obviously still the main French city in Canada and is the hub for Quebec without question. Its still the second largest city in the country by a healthy margin and does have the second largest GDP. GAWC ranks Montreal a Beta + world city in terms of global connectivity which is the second highest in the country after Toronto which is an Alpha and ahead of Vancouver which is a Beta and Calgary which is Beta - all other cities in Canada have low global connectivity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Given all that and Montreal being either the second or third largest French speaking city in the world, an immigration hub for the francophone world and also the cultural/historical prominence of Montreal - I would say it qualifies as a world city most definitely.. Could it be more prominent and create a more English friendly environment for Anglophones, well I suppose it could but its a complicated set of factors that drives these things and as I said, I see both sides.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-02-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Is this data coming from your own personal census?
But fear not Lex you could very well live long enough to see the last of those dastardly Anglos in Quebec as they are moving elsewhere to find new cultures to conquer and victimize, they have become tired of you francophones not bowing down to their wishes by being the good subservient and suppressed minority like you apparently have been for the last few centuries. Perhaps when your newly discovered set descends you could some day rise above cultural wimp status and actually separate from Mother Canada and form your own country..
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...&GK=CMA&GC=462

Only 69,3% of Anglophones in Montreal are Bilingual. Sorry the actual numbers happen to undermine your delusion of Anglophone exceptionalism, ma'am.

As for when my "newly discovered set descends"...while your concern for my gonads is flattering, I'm not the one who's looking to cut and run from what the rest of the world would see as a minor inconvenience, so if anything you should be more concerned about where your balls have gone to, Jambo.

Quote:

Brussels and Geneva seem to do fine being majority Francophone cities...if English was a pre-requisite for success you'd think they'd be falling apart by now but they're not. Montreal has far more English speakers than any other major Francophone city so I doubt English will be it's saviour. Regardless of Loi 101, Montréal has more than enough English-speakers to meet the needs of any international entity so obviously language isn't the issue here. The only people who have an issue with Montréal being francophone are Anglophone Canadians lol.

Furthermore, English didn't save Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Providence, Newark, St. Louis or Baltimore.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...&GK=CMA&GC=462

Only 69,3% of Anglophones in Montreal are Bilingual. Sorry the actual numbers happen to undermine your delusion of Anglophone exceptionalism, ma'am.

As for when my "newly discovered set descends"...while your concern for my gonads is flattering, I'm not the one who's looking to cut and run from what the rest of the world would see as a minor inconvenience, so if anything you should be more concerned about where your balls have gone to, Jambo.

You think highly of yourself to take what i was attributing to an entire culture and attribute it to yourself.
As for your stats of 70% of Anglos being bilingual? kinda blows away your claim that Anglos dont want to learn French,as for the other 30% while they may not be fully bilingual i'm sure they have some knowledge of basic French.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-02-2015 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not an Anglo with roots in Quebec nor do I live there so I truly can't relate to how it is to be one.. With that said, I can understand a desire of a place to protect its language and culture when it is surrounded on all sides by English elephants.
But what about the fact that the ROC is being forced to pay for this exclusivity?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
What is this insane rant about?
Quote:
Brussels and Geneva seem to do fine being majority Francophone cities...if English was a pre-requisite for success you'd think they'd be falling apart by now but they're not. Montreal has far more English speakers than any other major Francophone city so I doubt English will be it's saviour. Regardless of Loi 101, Montréal has more than enough English-speakers to meet the needs of any international entity so obviously language isn't the issue here. The only people who have an issue with Montréal being francophone are Anglophone Canadians lol.

Furthermore, English didn't save Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Providence, Newark, St. Louis or Baltimore.
Does Brussels have laws curtailing the use of either Flemish or French? Does Geneva have laws curtailing the use of French, German or Italian?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2
I'm not an Anglo with roots in Quebec nor do I live there so I truly can't relate to how it is to be one.. With that said, I can understand a desire of a place to protect its language and culture when it is surrounded on all sides by English elephants.
It would get kinda complicated if all minorities wanted their own version of Bill101 etc.
As for francophones protecting their own culture? erasing the Anglo culture in Quebec is a rather crude way to accomplish that objective.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Does Brussels have laws curtailing the use of either Flemish or French? Does Geneva have laws curtailing the use of French, German or Italian?
The language laws in Switzerland and Belgium are actually MORE strict than those of Québec. You think Québec is hostile to Anglos, Francophones in the Flemish suburbs of Brussels are restricted from even buying property in those communities.

But to answer your question, yes.

Quote:
But what about the fact that the ROC is being forced to pay for this exclusivity?
What is the ROC paying for, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada