Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree with both of you. The problem is that economic viability is no longer a key consideration anywhere for independence. The U.N. and multilateral aid will make the rulers rich even if the people are like "lobsters in a pot of boiling water," to quote Parizeau (sp).
Here in Canadas east we call a lobster trap a lobster pot. Parizeau's reference to the term Lobster pot was regarding its one way door analogizing Quebecs path if separation was achieved.
I agree on the inevitability of Quebecs ultimate separation from Canada,even at this point i fail to see the point in Quebec remaining in Canada as its made itself into an entirely different country within Canada, a country i might add most of whose citizens dont identify as being particularly Canadian and for the most part dont like Anglos or their language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Here in Canadas east we call a lobster trap a lobster pot. Parizeau's reference to the term Lobster pot was regarding its one way door analogizing Quebecs path if separation was achieved.
I agree on the inevitability of Quebecs ultimate separation from Canada,even at this point i fail to see the point in Quebec remaining in Canada as its made itself into an entirely different country within Canada, a country i might add most of whose citizens dont identify as being particularly Canadian and for the most part dont like Anglos or their language.
So one of the world's most successful countries should cease to exist in its current form simply because you jambo and (some of the members of) the community you are a part of don't feel sufficiently loved?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM

You think highly of your culture if you think Canada will cease to exist if Quebec separates,IMO If Quebec leaves the comfort and stability that is Canada Canada will do just fine its Quebec that will be getting a reality check as it financially falls flat on its face.
On a side note Dont you just hate that community i'm a part of, the Anglo Quebecer? several dms i've received have commented on the transparent nature of this underlying elitist attitude that you frequently display to this representative of English Quebec, the dms asking me if this is a pervasive attitude that Anglos in Quebec are subjected to..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-27-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 AM

14 posts, read 22,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Where's the problem?
Why should we go out of our way to protect English?
Out of your way? Why is it a problem to have English spoken IN ADDITION to French? It's not instead of.

Quote:
I work a lot with the PLQ and take my word, we aren't worried about the small anglo demographic. Why should we? They have 9 other provinces to move to.
Ah yes, the old "if you don't like it, get lost" attitude so beloved of racists.

Why is Quebec so insecure that it wants to ban an already secondary language? Are there countries anywhere in the world that actually want to ban other languages?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissApril75 View Post
Out of your way? Why is it a problem to have English spoken IN ADDITION to French? It's not instead of.
No one said it's a problem to speak English in addition to French. I do it myself. You are twisting words around to fit the narrative of imagined anglo-Quebecer victimization. English clearly doesn't need linguistic protection in Canada and government statistics even show a growth of English in Quebec.

Quote:
Ah yes, the old "if you don't like it, get lost" attitude so beloved of racists.
Where has anyone mentioned race in this thread? Race is irrelevant to this topic, and I can see no justification for you to use this topic to fixate on race.

Quote:
Why is Quebec so insecure that it wants to ban an already secondary language? Are there countries anywhere in the world that actually want to ban other languages?
What evidence is there that Quebec wants to ban English? A small town council does not speak for Quebec.

Once again you are reacting emotionally and twisting words to support your inflated narrative instead of using logic.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 22,930 times
Quote:
No one said it's a problem to speak English in addition to French.
The attempt at banning English language mentioned in the article is a direct result of English being spoken in addition to French and not instead of. If it's not a problem then why the attempt to make it illegal?

Quote:
English clearly doesn't need linguistic protection in Canada and government statistics even show a growth of English in Quebec.
Perhaps it does if someone wants to ban it.

Quote:
Where has anyone mentioned race in this thread?
One doesn't need to mention the word race to make a racist statement.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, If someone says "I think this group of people should be wiped out" and someone else says that sounds like Nazi talk, you can't simply dismiss that on the basis that nobody mentioned Naziism.

The suggestion was made that the anglos can move to other provinces. That's anglophobic at the very least. "if you don't like it, then leave." The board auto censor prevents that sounding like it really means.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You think highly of your culture if you think Canada will cease to exist if Quebec separates,IMO If Quebec leaves the comfort and stability that is Canada Canada will do just fine its Quebec that will be getting a reality check as it financially falls flat on its face.
On a side note Dont you just hate that community i'm a part of, the Anglo Quebecer? several dms i've received have commented on the transparent nature of this underlying elitist attitude that you frequently display to this representative of English Quebec, the dms asking me if this is a pervasive attitude that Anglos in Quebec are subjected to..
Do you really mean this, jambo101. I initially believed you supported Quebec independence out of a belief that it would be better for you and your children. Instead the case appears to be that you support Quebec's independence out of spite. Is that the case, jambo101? Do you really support Quebec independence only as a way ''get back'' at the Quebecois who you believe will face financial troubles?

What would lead an elder to wish punishment on so many young Quebec children and generations to come that have nothing to do with the injustices you feel you have suffered? Isn't that bordering on child-like?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The attempt at banning English language mentioned in the article is a direct result of English being spoken in addition to French and not instead of. If it's not a problem then why the attempt to make it illegal?
May I suggest you ask the handful of people who serve at that town council.
Perhaps it does if someone seems to ban it.

Quote:
One doesn't need to mention the word race to make a racist statement.
Can you point to the racist statement?

No?

There are no comments on this thread regarding any racial groups in anyway, whether directly or indirectly. What you are doing is using a controversial term to brand who are thinking things you don't like.

Quote:
At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, If someone says "I think this group of people should be wiped out" and someone else says that sounds like Nazi talk, you can't simply dismiss that on the basis that nobody mentioned Naziism.
No one has discussed wiping anyone out, MissApril75. I fail to see the connection between a few town council members in Canada discussing banning English at their meetings and the mass murder of 15 million Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, handicapped, Slavs, and communists. To my knowledge, not a single concentration camp has been constructed in Quebec or Canada and there is very little support for this course of action.
Quote:
The suggestion was made that the anglos can move to other provinces. That's anglophobic at the very least."if you don't like it, then leave." The board auto censor prevents that sounding like it really means.
True or false - Anglohpones have 9 provinces in Canada where they can live and be the strong majority of the population and enjoy all of the fruits of the province?

The answer is true. This shouldn't be a revelation.

On the other hand the French-Canadians have been reduced to only Quebec - after being "wiped out" (to use your terminology) in Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, Saskatchewan, and reduced to a minority of New Brunswick. Do we have to dwell on this? No, but it is interesting how this fact of Canada is conveniently forgotten. Perhaps this is why the Quebecois are so insecure to regulate linguistics. We all know what happened to other provinces where French used to be a majority. If supporting the regulation of language in Quebec makes me a "racist", then I suppose all of Canada is "racist". Considering the fact that the federal government does the exact same thing.

Be it as it may, I find the word "racist" out of place in this conversation. The treatment of First Nations peoples in this country is a better fit for that word.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:

What evidence is there that Quebec wants to ban English? A small town council does not speak for Quebec.
That Longueuil mayors contempt for English in her council is but a small example of the prevailing anti Anglo attitude here in Quebec
Banning English? off the top of my head=
Bill101 and its language police enforce the many laws that prohibit public English signage,
Provincial government is unilingual French.
Companies with more than 50 employees mandate the language in the work place is french.
To send your kids to an English school instead of a French school one has to get a certificate of eligibility.
Names of monuments,streets villages and towns having their English names changed to French names.
Having to endure endless snide snarky comments from francophones merely because you are English.And being constantly viewed as an unwanted part of Quebec culture,them the maudit Anglaise,les autres the remnants of an Anglo culture that did nothing but suppress and dominate the poor francophones

As for my wanting Quebec independence? seems like the logical course of action for a French demographic that has fashioned itself into its own francophone country within Canada, a demographic that doesnt identify with being Canadian and continues to come up with ever more rules and regulations that marginalize the remnants of the Anglo demographic in Quebec.
I thought it obvious that i wont be a part of this Quebec independence, as i`m one of those Anglos and as such relegated to total non inclusion into any aspect of Quebec or its culture.
http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...9-cf50002d0a48

Last edited by jambo101; 07-28-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
That Longueuil mayors contempt for English in her council is but a small example of the prevailing anti Anglo attitude here in Quebec
Banning English? off the top of my head=
Bill101 and its language police enforce the many laws that prohibit public English signage,
Provincial government is unilingual French.
Companies with more than 50 employees mandate the language in the work place is french.
To send your kids to an English school instead of a French school one has to get a certificate of eligibility.
Names of monuments,streets villages and towns having their English names changed to French names.
Having to endure endless snide snarky comments from francophones merely because you are English.And being constantly viewed as an unwanted part of Quebec culture,them the maudit Anglaise,les autres the remnants of an Anglo culture that did nothing but suppress and dominate the poor francophones

As for my wanting Quebec independence? seems like the logical course of action for a French demographic that has fashioned itself into its own francophone country within Canada, a demographic that doesnt identify with being Canadian and continues to come up with ever more rules and regulations that marginalize the remnants of the Anglo demographic in Quebec.
I thought it obvious that i wont be a part of this Quebec independence, as i`m one of those Anglos and as such relegated to total non inclusion into any aspect of Quebec or its culture.
So why did you move here knowing all of these things?
Quote:
Keep on hoping, but Quebec isn't going anywhere. Why should we? This is our country and we have more to gain by staying than by leaving. Even you say yourself that we will face financial disaster if we leave now, so why do that when the Rest of Canada is eager to fund our economy? You aren't making sense. We have a good thing in Canada and aren't going to abandon that until Canada runs out of steam. Talk to me in 20 years and we'll reass the benefits of Quebec staying in Canada and I guarantee that when it is in Quebec's best interest to leave, we will quickly do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada