Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 07:58 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
41% of Canada say there are too many non-white people in Canada, and just under half say there are too many immigrants. Almost 2/3 also want to ban religious wear called niqabs at citizenship ceremonies. Is Canada becoming less welcoming to immigrants or what? I admit I am really disappointed to see this. This type of racism shouldn't stand in a multicultural nation.

The EKOS poll: Are Canadians getting more racist?
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Unlike the United States of America, Canada's demographics show it is still over 75% white.

Something tells me those polled live in minority strongholds such as Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
I can believe both the OP and this second post. I have family who live in Toronto, and at one family gathering, I was shocked at the vehement anti-Asian/anti-Caribbean/anti-African sentiments being expressed, especially towards immigrants ... by several people whose own parents came to Canada from Europe. The talk wasn't crude, but it was definitely racist, sort of how I imagine middle and upper class white Southerners might have discussed "the race problem" at dinner parties back in the late 1950s.

As the only American there, I stayed out of the line of fire and just listened ...

Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe that the Virgin Mary became pregnant without sex and yes I believe our Lord Jesus Christ died on a cross for our sins and rose from the dead. Most people around here do believe that. I know this could be used for cheap shots against the US but Christian belief is still strong here, at least here in the Southern US. So the statement that in developed countries religion is losing its importance just does not hold water down here. I believe you would find a lot of religious people across North America, even places you may not expect to find it.
Do you also believe that the world is only a few thousand years old? And that the first human being really was named Adam? And that it's a sin to wear clothes made of two different kinds of fibers?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:33 AM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
what makes it more ironic is that they are not even talking about "white" - they are talking about people with Christian European origins - basically "people who are exactly like me".

Most Arabs are white. Syrians are white.

This is getting desperate. Very very few Arabs look like that. Arabs are not considered white with the possible exception of a small minority.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The talk wasn't crude, but it was definitely racist, sort of how I imagine middle and upper class white Southerners might have discussed "the race problem" at dinner parties back in the late 1950s.
White American northerners too.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
^ hard for you to accept?

Half of Los Angeles or Chicago is hardly "developed world". I was actually shocked to see horrible they are. A migrant worker from rural China wouldn't want to live there.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
This is getting desperate. Very very few Arabs look like that. Arabs are not considered white with the possible exception of a small minority.
not "considered" white? by whom? You, the supreme judge of whiteness? Even the US census bureau consider Arabs "white".

Information on Race

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian.

Not only Syrians white, the entire Middle East and North Africa are white.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
^ hard for you to accept?

Half of Los Angeles or Chicago is hardly "developed world". I was actually shocked to see horrible they are. A migrant worker from rural China wouldn't want to live there.
So why do so many immigrants go from China to the US and work as illegals? You yourself admit to being college educated yet you prefer to live in a small apartment in Canada than in your native China....? Why?

Face it, the poorest ghetto in Chicago is better than average in China. The average welfare recipient in the US is richer than the average Chinese worker slaving away for 20 hours in a dangerous factory. I really could not care less about Chinese workers wages but the denial is really getting desperate. The whole world knows this which is why Chinese people risk it all to live in the West.

Oh and in the southern US very few places look like anywhere in Chicago. Having been to Alabama it looks like Anywhere, Ontario but with less population density and warmer weather.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:41 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Desperate? Do you understand how ridiculous it sounds to believe that there are not 'enough' 'white' Canadians? Like a Pole and a white Turk from Thrace, or a Russian, or a Georgian are supposed to be more Canadian than an Indian and a Guatemalan? It's as equally far-removed. This is nothing but racism.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
not "considered" white? by whom? You, the supreme judge of whiteness? Even the US census bureau consider Arabs "white".

Information on Race

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian.

Not only Syrians white, the entire Middle East and North Africa are white.
Yes, Barack Obama is "white" based on those definitions. In everyday Canadian culture middle eastern people are not white. This is just how it is. White means European here that is something you can learn. What is more strange is that you show a picture of a Syrian with blonde hair and blue eyes as if that isn't extremely rare.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
While it's true that the boy in the photo would represent a tiny minority of Arabs, that's only because most Arabs, like Jews, Turks, Kurds, Persians (ie Iranians), and anybody else whose ancestors originated in the Fertile Crescent (and in Southern Europe for that matter), tend to have dark hair and eyes and more olive complexions. Substitute western dress for traditional Middle Eastern dress, and you'd be hard pressed to pick out the Arabs in any group of Americans or Canadians walking down a city street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada