Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 10:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
Having been raised in Toronto from 2 years old, having my family move from Toronto to several parts of the US over several years when I was about 20, having spent lots of time in lots of the US and equally having met people from all over Canada over all of those years, there is one thing that became clear to me several years ago. I've been saying this to people for a long time: American ignorance about Canada is rivalled only by Canadian ignorance about the US. Neither one is better than the other.

Now, I have to limit that statement to Toronto and southern Ontario in Canada because sadly Ihaven't travelled as much in my own country. But in the Toronto area, people tend to know one or two family or friends in Western NY, Central NY, (Ithaca, Syracuse, Buffalo, New York) even Massachusetts. But outside of that part, everything else is cowboys and LA to people in Ontario. And on the other hand, I convinced a sales person in Jacksonville, Florida that I needed a winter jacket in Toronto in August because it's usually no higher than 0 celsius and she believed me. You tell me which is worse.

The fact is that no matter how small the world is made by the internet, it's general human ignorance and being self-absorbed that creates this problem. It has nothing to do with Canadian vs American, and I wish people would stop creating that us vs them mentality. What's sadder than any of this, however, is how little anglophone Canada knows about Quebec. And how if you ask them about it, how many of them will say "why the hell should I?" Get over it, they're in Canada too (they kinda founded the country before the Brits arrived) and the country couldn't survive without them today. You wanna try cutting Quebec out of Canada and see where the Canadian dollar goes? It's pathetic. Anyway. Find me 100 Americans who don't know anything about Canada and I'll find you 100 Canadians that know nothing about the US... and the national anthem doesn't count.
This is your personal experience, in one part of Canada. I will agree that some Canadians know little about the US, but it's a small minority.The majority know more about the US than Americans know about Canada. I'm not talking in depth knowledge, such as how the US government system works etc, but general knowledge.

If you asked three random Canadians to name four US cities, they most likely could. Ask three random Americans to name four Canadian cities, you most like will get answers like you hear on the show Jeopardy.
Um, Ontario, Quebec, Toronto and um, um.

This is not bashing Americans, but Canada, is not on their radar for the most part, where the US is to most of the world.

As for Quebec, if the answer is " why the hell should I get over it " obviously the statement you are giving is
" get over it " . Not a great way to start a productive conversation about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is your personal experience, in one part of Canada. I will agree that some Canadians know little about the US, but it's a small minority.The majority know more about the US than Americans know about Canada. I'm not talking in depth knowledge, such as how the US government system works etc, but general knowledge.
I tend to agree. When I talk to my Canadian friends they've heard about the San Bernardino massacre and know who our Presidential candidates are. And about just about every other major news development.

[quote=Natnasci;42591667]If you asked three random Canadians to name four US cities, they most likely could. Ask three random Americans to name four Canadian cities, you most like will get answers like you hear on the show Jeopardy.
Um, Ontario, Quebec, Toronto and um, um. Once I was on a music sharing service and using the chat function with someone in Thunder Bay. He gave me a similar challenge. I answered: Victoria, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Quebec City, Frederickton, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's and then, to throw him off, "Whiteknife," "Yellowhorse" and Iqaluit. He said, "how did you get those in order?" I played dumb. And no, I was not using Google.

Quote:
As for Quebec, if the answer is " why the hell should I get over it " obviously the statement you are giving is " get over it " . Not a great way to start a productive conversation about something.
I"m not sure what there is to get over, yet. They haven't voted to secede.

But as I stated I know little about Canada.I ohnly know PM's back to Laurier. And that Macdonald was first.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 AM

58 posts, read 80,323 times
Quote:
As for Quebec, if the answer is " why the hell should I get over it " obviously the statement you are giving is " get over it " . Not a great way to start a productive conversation about something.
No, I think you misunderstood me or I didn't communicate my point well. Probably the latter.
Quote:
This is your personal experience, in one part of Canada.
I said, word for word..."Now, I have to limit that statement to Toronto and southern Ontario in Canada "

Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Who cares?

Do you know the prime ministers and presidents from other countries in the world? What about English-speaking countries - just to narrow it down? It this information important for the general populace to know? If so, why?

Knowing the capital cities of other countries and a little about their customs seems more important to me that being up on who's who in politics. It's not as if politicians even run the world. Knowing the ins and outs of high finance would better inform anyone interested in this degenerating global system. It's the financiers who run the world - always follow the money! $$$

Most people in the West don't even know their own neighbors, so it's hardly surprising if their interest in other people and places is... limited, is it?

Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
If you asked three random Canadians to name four US cities, they most likely could. Ask three random Americans to name four Canadian cities, you most like will get answers like you hear on the show Jeopardy.
Um, Ontario, Quebec, Toronto and um, um.
Please, the vast majority of people here in Pittsburgh know of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal at the least any most people here make the drive to Toronto and Montreal at least once in life.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Please, the vast majority of people here in Pittsburgh know of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal at the least any most people here make the drive to Toronto and Montreal at least once in life.
Name a city that doesn't have an NHL team...

Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I was gonna say the exact same thing!

Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was gonna say the exact same thing!
Kamloops, 100 Mile House, Peace River, Medicine Hat, Regina, Saskatoon, Flin Flon, Brandon, Thunder Bay, Kapuskasing, Baie Comeau, Shawinigan (the latter two birthing modern Canadian PM's), Frederickton, St. John's, Halifax, Syndney, Charlottetown (OK I'll admit I'm stumped without going to Google on a second PEI city), Gander, Goose Bay, Whitehorse, Dawson, Whiteknife, Yellowhorse (maybe mixed up the names a bit), Hay River, Iqaluit, and Kugluktuk f/k/a (before Trudeau) Coppermine.

So two per province, without Googling, with those qualifications.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

Whiteknife, Yellowhorse (maybe mixed up the names a bit)
Yup, just a tiny mix up and it's an easy mistake for anyone to make.

There is no Whiteknife or Yellowhorse in Canada, but there is the capital city Whitehorse in Yukon and capital city Yellowknife in Northwest Territitories.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Kamloops, 100 Mile House, Peace River, Medicine Hat, Regina, Saskatoon, Flin Flon, Brandon, Thunder Bay, Kapuskasing, Baie Comeau, Shawinigan (the latter two birthing modern Canadian PM's), Frederickton, St. John's, Halifax, Syndney, Charlottetown (OK I'll admit I'm stumped without going to Google on a second PEI city), Gander, Goose Bay, Whitehorse, Dawson, Whiteknife, Yellowhorse (maybe mixed up the names a bit), Hay River, Iqaluit, and Kugluktuk f/k/a (before Trudeau) Coppermine.

So two per province, without Googling, with those qualifications.
Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada