Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

Good morning friends!
Last night was not good---DH's sinuses were running like crazy causing him choking. I suggested several things but he didn't want to do any of them. He kept saying he wanted me to help him and yet he wouldn't try anything I suggested like an antihistamine. He is so stubborn that it makes it hard to help him when he won't listen! At least when we went to bed he seemed to be fine once on the breathing machine. I think I'll clean really good in the den and maybe that will help. It could just be dust......but the allergies in this area are really bad so probably a combination of things. Can't hurt to get it really clean though. I pray today and tonight things will be a bit better for him! I do know the breathing machine can also cause sinus irritations so maybe that is part of it too.
Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Did some work on ebay, cleaned the den pretty thoroughly before DH got up so there would be nothing floating around in the air, doing some laundry, making my DH his breakfast...he likes to eat late. I sold a few items so I am packing those up to get mailed...now it's time to do the daily cleaning on DH's breathing equipment. I think at this point the most stressful thing I have to do is trying to figure out what to make for dinner that he can eat. Last night I made chicken thighs stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. He couldn't get it down. He ate a few mashed potatoes and some broccoli. I guess meat isn't really that big of deal as long as he can get down good veggies! He's just always been a meat and potatoes kinda guy! Maybe that Shepard pie I saw on elstons thread! Looked so good. I really miss so many foods right now. I'm always looking.....I am just not one who enjoys cooking....but guess we don't always have to enjoy things that must be done!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Cyn......I hesitate to use the word "baby food".....but when my kids were toddlers...many years ago....I was surprised at how good some of the Gerber meals smelled when heated up.....and when I did the exaggerated lip smacking taste to get their interest. That was about 40 years ago.....I would imagine they are even better now.....Would you DH consider them when he is having a hard time eating.....or would that be too depressing to even consider?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM

I'm not sure elston--a little apprehensive to even mention it but we are dealing with life here so I suppose it is worth mentioning. I never fed my kids baby food from a jar---I made my own from what ever we were having for dinner. I was a hippie you know! Smile!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Now I am just an old hippie!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Is he able to hold silverware or do you have to feed him?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning friends!
Last night was not good---DH's sinuses were running like crazy causing him choking. I suggested several things but he didn't want to do any of them. He kept saying he wanted me to help him and yet he wouldn't try anything I suggested like an antihistamine. He is so stubborn that it makes it hard to help him when he won't listen! At least when we went to bed he seemed to be fine once on the breathing machine. I think I'll clean really good in the den and maybe that will help. It could just be dust......but the allergies in this area are really bad so probably a combination of things. Can't hurt to get it really clean though. I pray today and tonight things will be a bit better for him! I do know the breathing machine can also cause sinus irritations so maybe that is part of it too.
Have a good day everyone!
Would a humidier in the room help anything? Or is there a humidifier built into the the breathing machine? ( I forget, is it a C-Pap or Bi-Pap machine like they use for sleep apnea? Just thinking of how irritated my DH says his throat and sinuses would get with his Bi-Pap machine without the little reservoir of water in it that moistens the air that he breathes from the machine. I know the air gets dry in the winter time when it's cold. Just a thought.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM

This breathing machine is sort of like the C-Pap or Bi-Pap but it's called a Trilogy ventilator and it does have a little humidifier attached to it. I know this is all a part of the way ALS progresses--I just don't think we are ready yet! I don't think I will ever be ready really. I don't suppose anyone is..sigh...He is doing much better today so maybe the cleaning the room really well this morning and him using that ventilator all night helped. I'm going to attempt some Italian sausage with beans and rice for dinner--fingers crossed. I will peel the sausage so there will be nothing tuff to eat but the flavor should be good--I hope! Honestly I am to the point I don't care if I eat anything anymore. All I want is for him to be able to eat something. Kinda funny though--I am hungry for a taco--ha! We don't have anything here to make that but it did seem kind of funny! That is one thing I know he can't eat anyhow so we wouldn't have it here. Maybe Taco Bell??

Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Hi cyn been busy lately but I do read this thread daily. Since you made your own baby food you could do that now with DH's food. Cook as usual then whirl it up separately in a food processor or blender it'd be soft foods he could swallow and still have your flavors of your cooking. Yep I think I'd go to Taco Bell alone girl.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 PM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
This breathing machine is sort of like the C-Pap or Bi-Pap but it's called a Trilogy ventilator and it does have a little humidifier attached to it. I know this is all a part of the way ALS progresses--I just don't think we are ready yet! I don't think I will ever be ready really. I don't suppose anyone is..sigh...He is doing much better today so maybe the cleaning the room really well this morning and him using that ventilator all night helped. I'm going to attempt some Italian sausage with beans and rice for dinner--fingers crossed. I will peel the sausage so there will be nothing tuff to eat but the flavor should be good--I hope! Honestly I am to the point I don't care if I eat anything anymore. All I want is for him to be able to eat something. Kinda funny though--I am hungry for a taco--ha! We don't have anything here to make that but it did seem kind of funny! That is one thing I know he can't eat anyhow so we wouldn't have it here. Maybe Taco Bell??
Yup, Taco Bell the next time you have to go out without DH- or are you able to do that? Not that this will satisfy your craving for a taco right now!. Although would something like the refried beans be soft enough and flavorful enough for your DH to eat and enjoy these days? Or would those be gross?

Hmmmm, soft and delicious, as well as nutritious, that's what your DH needs. What came to mind was some split pea soup I made the other day to use up the ham we had left over from Thanksgiving. I cooked the ham shank and leftover ham with the soup and the flavor was so good, but you wouldn't have to leave the ham in the soup to serve it, I don't think. I have to admit I cheated a little and got a mix ( dried peas and a flavor packet) from Publix so I wouldn't have to soak the peas overnight- I'm not a good enough meal planner to do anything the day before, LOL. But it was good.

Sounds like lack of humidity wouldn't be the problem with your DH's sinus issues- I had just remembered that when my DH got his first C-Pap machine for his sleep apnea years ago, it didn't have a humidifier attached, and he didn't know any better, so he had big-time respiratory irritation from the machine till he realized he should get a humidifier, and he's had one ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving