Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
yes, I lived in the Geveva, Switzerland area rom 1974 - 2009. We had a house that had a view from the Jet d'Eau in Geneva up to Chateau Cillon in Montruex. Our son was born in Switzerland and then he met an American gorl in an internet chat room. 10 years later, they married. That was 5 years ago and now Mrs. krokus and I are proud grandparents and our son and his family live in South Charlotte. This is why we are coming to Charlotte to live.
What a great story! Congrats on becoming grandparents . . . and best wishes with your move to Charlotte.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
This may sound "hickish" of me(I am from Arkansas after all), but if your biggest complaint about Charlotte is that darn Charlotte Symphony and a freakin opera, then I am looking forward to moving there! Charlotte, here I come!!!
You're in luck!! Rumor has it there will be a couple of folks playing the kazoo during the week of the DNC. Will let you know time and date as soon as I confirm.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM

140 posts, read 239,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
He was simply using that as a way of illustrating how devalued the symphony is here!

And yes, for some folks, having a wonderful symphony and opera DOES matter, and there are cities the size of Charlotte who invest much more into supporting their symphonies . . . it isn't just a "big city" phenomena.
The way people are harping on this comment kind of proves the OP's point. A lot (the majority?) of people who live here don't really care about the arts and look down on people who do.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
The way people are harping on this comment kind of proves the OP's point. A lot (the majority?) of people who live here don't really care about the arts and look down on people who do.
Take a poll and ask all the transplants from Long Island (not the boros of NYC) if they had any interest in the arts before they moved to the city they are in love with now.My quess to the answer: No interest at all.
Too far to travel to the city. Too expensive. Have other things we love. Kids hate it. Hubby falls asleep. We go once a year to the local prodution of Sleeping Beauty at the High School.Don't understand the opera. Anybody can paint that. Hey, that's finger painting. My niece sings better than that.Too crowded.What else?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
"Looks down on people" that enjoy the arts? I haven't see that. I suppose that the people that are moving to Charlotte are content with the status quo which isn't bad. After all, several thousand come here every year. Surely, these newcomers would take an active role if they are concerned with improvement. In many cases, it seems that those that cry the loudest is the least likely person to attend anyway?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Well . . . that is kind of what I was thinking, actually, Theory.

But I think you have to consider that Charlotte does not have a venerable old, firmly established, well-endowed Arts Institute/Museum, which in itself draws people to an area (both as students and then as patrons).

I think if we had that, there would be more residents here who had a tie and real interest in the success of such things as the symphony, opera, dance, etc.

I grew up feeling that was a deficit here and my opinion has not changed, especially after being able to take advantage of the wonderful programs offered in other cities through their Art Museums/Institutes.

I certainly don't prefer Opera to the exclusion of other music . . . but that was one of the things OP mentioned, and I happen to agree with him.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
"Looks down on people" that enjoy the arts? I haven't see that. I suppose that the people that are moving to Charlotte are content with the status quo which isn't bad. After all, several thousand come here every year. Surely, these newcomers would take an active role if they are concerned with improvement. In many cases, it seems that those that cry the loudest is the least likely person to attend anyway?
And to whom are you referring? That cries the loudest? Seems to me the general concensus is - folks are not that interested in the symphony or opera.

I travel to other areas of the state to take in a good opera, and did even 30 years ago. I have family members who perform in various choral societies throughout the state and I have a cousin who is a member of the NC Opera.

So no, I am not crying but if I were, it would be genuine, as I DO ATTEND such performances.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:26 PM

140 posts, read 239,238 times
Quote:
Well . . . that is kind of what I was thinking, actually, Theory.

But I think you have to consider that Charlotte does not have a venerable old, firmly established, well-endowed Arts Institute/Museum, which in itself draws people to an area (both as students and then as patrons).

I think if we had that, there would be more residents here who had a tie and real interest in the success of such things as the symphony, opera, dance, etc.

I grew up feeling that was a deficit here and my opinion has not changed, especially after being able to take advantage of the wonderful programs offered in other cities through their Art Museums/Institutes.

I certainly don't prefer Opera to the exclusion of other music . . . but that was one of the things OP mentioned, and I happen to agree with him.
I agree, but I think pink caddy hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy
Take a poll and ask all the transplants from Long Island (not the boros of NYC) if they had any interest in the arts before they moved to the city they are in love with now.My quess to the answer: No interest at all.
Too far to travel to the city. Too expensive. Have other things we love. Kids hate it. Hubby falls asleep. We go once a year to the local prodution of Sleeping Beauty at the High School.Don't understand the opera. Anybody can paint that. Hey, that's finger painting. My niece sings better than that.Too crowded.What else?
There's not much in the way of native arts culture here, due to the way the city came up, and a lot of the people who come here don't care about such things and thus are willing to move to a place where they're not important.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
And to whom are you referring? That cries the loudest? Seems to me the general concensus is - folks are not that interested in the symphony or opera.

I travel to other areas of the state to take in a good opera, and did even 30 years ago. I have family members who perform in various choral societies throughout the state and I have a cousin who is a member of the NC Opera.

So no, I am not crying but if I were, it would be genuine, as I DO ATTEND such performances.
Agreed, Ani. My daughter-in-law plays in the Denver Symphony Orchestra, my cousin is a regular performer in the DeKalb county (IL) orchestra for the summer months and also plays in many Broadway shows (that are held in IL). My other cousin is part of a choir that has performed all over the world in most of the major tabernacles and ancient churches in Europe.

No, I am not a huge opera fan, but, I do love classical music and symphony music. (in addition to some ole rock n roll & contemporary Christian, too! )

When I go back to Chicago, I have taken my niece to Broadway shows and my cousin is always despairing that I am not there to attend others with her.

So, although this may not be an everyday occurrence, yes, it would be nice to have a vibrant symphony/show scene here along with others to share it with.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
I've stumbled on threads elsewhere on the internet about Charlotte not supporting local musicians. That topic can be extended beyond classical music. Charlotte isn't like Los Angeles or Nashville where there are multiple restaurants and coffee houses that hold improvs for people. Clubs are more DJ oriented here, with big TV screens on the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte