Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 AM

397 posts, read 665,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
So... Isn't "unwinding" another way to say "redistricting," or perhaps "reredistricting?" Are the folks railing against redistricting every three years actually now asking for redistricting (unwinding, or reredistricting ) every year?
I give up.
To me this proves the point that this is NOT about preventing disruption via redistricting. It is about certain people feeling entitled to choose where their child goes to school, despite clear messages that redistricting does and can occur. It's about feeling entitled to make the decisions that the elected BOE/superintendent are designated to make. It seems that disrupting kids and moving them back and forth is okay to certain parents only when it is convenient and beneficial for those certain parents. I give up too, Doc. It's obvious what this is really about to those observing. The ones trying to manipulate the system just won't admit it (well the majority at least). *washing hands*

Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM

549 posts, read 680,632 times
Puts CAPS complaining about the money UCPS is spending on repairing football stadiums at Piedmont and Sun Valley into perspective....

Major structural problems close Texas high school's $60 million stadium | FOX Sports on MSN

Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM

527 posts, read 744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
So... Isn't "unwinding" another way to say "redistricting," or perhaps "reredistricting?" Are the folks railing against redistricting every three years actually now asking for redistricting (unwinding, or reredistricting ) every year?
I give up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
To me this proves the point that this is NOT about preventing disruption via redistricting. It is about certain people feeling entitled to choose where their child goes to school, despite clear messages that redistricting does and can occur. It's about feeling entitled to make the decisions that the elected BOE/superintendent are designated to make. It seems that disrupting kids and moving them back and forth is okay to certain parents only when it is convenient and beneficial for those certain parents. I give up too, Doc. It's obvious what this is really about to those observing. The ones trying to manipulate the system just won't admit it (well the majority at least). *washing hands*
I love it when a plan comes together... two down . Who's next?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM

136 posts, read 181,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Quick question....prior to this bit of fun we have been having, say start of 2013 school year, what was UCPS ranked as far as NC systems go? Does anyone have this?
Any way you slice it, UC has consistently been in the top 10 districts in NC. Similarly, NC has been high in the top quartile of states - it's been this way for years and years. Talk about value for $! We benefit from generations of careful attention and good decision making. Time to revive some of our traditions.

Last edited by waxhawdoc; 05-20-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:57 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAHER View Post
Waldo, I understand that the BOE did not draw up the maps, ...

......(the BOE/UCPS - has NO AUTHORITY to raise taxes).
This was a long response that didn't seem to answer any of the questions. It's easy to tell promise the people many things they want to hear, but I notice that once one drills the down a bit, there are no forthcoming answers to the real issues at hand, such as accountability and how it will be done.

You mention "gotcha questions". My questions were not "gotchas" unless there is some sort of misrepresentation. I find that plan speaking is much better than long winded diatribes that say very little. Unfortunately there seems to be very little of the former.

Well.. I won't ask you anything else. There doesn't seem to be any point to it.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 20,824 times
I am glad to see the question of UCPS rankings. For a district it is good, but it varies from school to school. That is why people are against this redistricting. They want a better education for their children. This website District Search Results Page shows the % of students at or above grade level in Math, English and Biology at the HS when you click on the school report card snapshot on the upper right side. For example if your child is redistricted from WHS (English-78.7%)(Math-54.3%)(Biology-71.1%) to SVHS (English-49.2%)(Math- 36.4%)(Biology-39.4%) or CHS (English-83.1%)(Math-67.6%)(Biology-64.2%) to PHS (English-59%)(Math-09.1%)(Biology-37.9%) there is a big difference in the amount of knowledge the students obtain at each school. More than half the students at SVHS are learning at below grade level. Wouldn't you want your child to attend the better school? It's just unfortunate that they won't.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Puts CAPS complaining about the money UCPS is spending on repairing football stadiums at Piedmont and Sun Valley into perspective....

Major structural problems close Texas high school's $60 million stadium | FOX Sports on MSN
wow, all that money and it wasn't structurally sound! It's also amazing to me that can draw 18000 to fill the high school football stadium

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOMANY View Post
I am glad to see the question of UCPS rankings. For a district it is good, but it varies from school to school. That is why people are against this redistricting. They want a better education for their children. This website District Search Results Page shows the % of students at or above grade level in Math, English and Biology at the HS when you click on the school report card snapshot on the upper right side. For example if your child is redistricted from WHS (English-78.7%)(Math-54.3%)(Biology-71.1%) to SVHS (English-49.2%)(Math- 36.4%)(Biology-39.4%) or CHS (English-83.1%)(Math-67.6%)(Biology-64.2%) to PHS (English-59%)(Math-09.1%)(Biology-37.9%) there is a big difference in the amount of knowledge the students obtain at each school. More than half the students at SVHS are learning at below grade level. Wouldn't you want your child to attend the better school? It's just unfortunate that they won't.
so we have rehashed this several times, what do you believe the difference is in the schools? The teachers and how they teach? The kids and their attitude toward leaning? What do you say make that big of a difference between schools?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 PM

71 posts, read 87,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
wow, all that money and it wasn't structurally sound! It's also amazing to me that can draw 18000 to fill the high school football stadium
It's near my in laws, and from my understanding, it was built mainly for concerts, etc. not the typical Texas high school football game crowd.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM

71 posts, read 87,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
so we have rehashed this several times, what do you believe the difference is in the schools? The teachers and how they teach? The kids and their attitude toward leaning? What do you say make that big of a difference between schools?
I'll say it... It's demographics. Money breeds money. That's a fact. I'm from a small place in Sc, and we had one honors class. I was the only 'poor' kid in it. This was because my friends didn't have the push that my parents gave me. Getting by and getting ahead are two different approaches to life. It's parent expectations and support that make a child succeed. Whatever the individual reasons are, don't blame it on an individual school or instructors. They are equally qualified. What is different, are resources. Test scores don't measure character or integrity or work ethic. They also don't measure entitlement. A great education is available at ALL Union County Schools. It's what you give and take from it. Now, distance, home values, sports, and activities are another issue. But don't knock the education, because you cannot compare one child to another given each circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte