Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM

631 posts, read 892,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetOnion View Post
UCPS is in charge of drafting the plans. The party not directly involved in drafting the plans should pick the members of the Citizen Advisory Committee. That is the BOE.
Excellent point! Thanks

EDIT, thinking about it more, I don't get that UCPS will be making the design. Sounds like they are hiring McKibben to do it. I'm hoping they release the full consulting proposal from McKibben when they review it this month.

Last edited by TooLogical; 02-08-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:56 PM

114 posts, read 130,481 times
I was under the impression that redistricting was a bad thing, yet here we go again. The new board is no better than the old board, it just seems more self-serving. Will the advisory board be a copy and paste from the CAPS Neighborhood Leads list?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM

114 posts, read 130,481 times
Some other questions - I read that the provisions assign students to the school closest to their home and no questions asked grandfathering.

Is it closest school of any kind or closest high school from a cluster standpoint? How would you handle if your closest Elementary School was in X Cluster and your closest Middle or High School was in Z Cluster? Are clusters broken up? Or do you go assigned to the closest high school and then assigned to the closest Elementary School that feeds that cluster?

What happens if XYZ School is the closest, let's say 4 miles away with the next closest school 8 miles away, but given population densities XYZ School is filled to capacity with people <4 miles from the school. Do you send the student to the closest school and go over capacity or send the student to the second closest school and by doing so go against a key provision? How do you choose who gets to go to the closest school and who doesn't?

Is grandfathering for their UCPS career or just until they switch to the next school level? How do you handle forecasts if people can go to their assigned school or their grandfathered school? Do you provide transportation to the grandfathered student or are they out of luck? If you do provide transportation, wouldn't you see efficiency decrease as you are having to bring multiple buses into a neighborhood?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Is allowing a citizen's advisory to make the reassignment decision circumventing the BoE's elected duties?
I don't think so, since the BOE will be choosing the committee with a balance across all clusters and asking for recommendations. They will vote. I get where you're coming from, though - they seem to be almost recusing themselves from the "process". But let's be honest, committee members could be just as qualified as a board member to review the details of the McKibben report against the new map options UCPS draws.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:25 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocion View Post
I was under the impression that redistricting was a bad thing, yet here we go again. The new board is no better than the old board, it just seems more self-serving. Will the advisory board be a copy and paste from the CAPS Neighborhood Leads list?
It is a necessary evil for a county wide school system. Disagree that this board is as bad as the previous one. We will soon find out how CAPS heavy the committee will be and maybe there will be some validity to your concerns.

Quote:
Some other questions - I read that the provisions assign students to the school closest to their home and no questions asked grandfathering.

Is it closest school of any kind or closest high school from a cluster standpoint? How would you handle if your closest Elementary School was in X Cluster and your closest Middle or High School was in Z Cluster? Are clusters broken up? Or do you go assigned to the closest high school and then assigned to the closest Elementary School that feeds that cluster?

What happens if XYZ School is the closest, let's say 4 miles away with the next closest school 8 miles away, but given population densities XYZ School is filled to capacity with people <4 miles from the school. Do you send the student to the closest school and go over capacity or send the student to the second closest school and by doing so go against a key provision? How do you choose who gets to go to the closest school and who doesn't?

Is grandfathering for their UCPS career or just until they switch to the next school level? How do you handle forecasts if people can go to their assigned school or their grandfathered school? Do you provide transportation to the grandfathered student or are they out of luck? If you do provide transportation, wouldn't you see efficiency decrease as you are having to bring multiple buses into a neighborhood?
These are some decent examples of questions that will be vetted by the committee. Historically, UCPS does NOT provide transportation for grandfathered students and I doubt we will see that change.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 13,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Excellent point! Thanks

EDIT, thinking about it more, I don't get that UCPS will be making the design. Sounds like they are hiring McKibben to do it. I'm hoping they release the full consulting proposal from McKibben when they review it this month.
It is my understanding that multiple plans will be formulated by the committee, UCPS administration, and McKibben working in conjunction and the ultimate decision will be made by the BOE. I think there will be much more involved in formulating the plans than just drawing boundaries. Recommendations will have to be made on special programming, the utilization of mobile classrooms, the location of additional future capacity if needed... So, UCPS has input into the parameters used to draw the maps at the very least. If you are indicating that the responsibility for drawing the maps will rest solely with McKibben, I don't see how that would be possible since UCPS will be responsible for transportation. They would have to have input into that part of the process. The BOE is the only party not involved directly in formulation of the plans making them the logical party to select the committee members.

Last edited by TheSweetOnion; 02-09-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 07:51 AM

161 posts, read 194,707 times
Quote:
Is allowing a citizen's advisory to make the reassignment decision circumventing the BoE's elected duties?
This was a red flag warning for me. After doing some googling, I have found this is how things are typically done across the country and it has been successful. Much more successful than what Union County has done in the past.

After watching the meeting it is obvious the last redistricting was done against the advice of the professionals and best practice standards.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Great questions. Have you emailed the schools? I would like to know their response.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
This was a red flag warning for me. After doing some googling, I have found this is how things are typically done across the country and it has been successful. Much more successful than what Union County has done in the past.

After watching the meeting it is obvious the last redistricting was done against the advice of the professionals and best practice standards.
There was NO professional advice against the last reassignment plan. (check the meeting vids and the minutes) All the current negative statements have been made after the fact since Jan 2017.

UCPS has had multiple re-assignments in the past 10 years because of it's growth.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
There was NO professional advice against the last reassignment plan. (check the meeting vids and the minutes) All the current negative statements have been made after the fact since Jan 2017.

UCPS has had multiple re-assignments in the past 10 years because of it's growth.
All poorly executed, the last being the worst. Now the demographer has spilled the beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte