Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:03 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,715,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
People dont like the NYers
You surely are mistaken on this point. Old, fat, and balding I get a LEAST 3 offers a week, usually by DM from this forum board from ladies who ask that I come down and spend a few days with them. On the occasions that I accepted their offers I was met at the airport and had 3 days and 2 nites of absolute pleasure and relaxation. I can't begin to tell you half of it as this is a family channel and I just don't want to get into the details.

I also have had offers from the "golfing set" to come down and play a few rounds even when they knew I shot in the high 100's. (LOL maybe they thought that was my cholestrol count!) Treated to the finest private clubs and all my expenses were paid.

So Tracey, I think you're mis-informed and must come down and visit this wonderful city. Oh, my phone is ringing, need to go-it's probably Carol or Babs, or Nicole---SHOOT-it was my alarm clock and I must have been dreaming.
johne LOLatthesillynessofmypost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,397,853 times
Before moving from Colorado to NC last year, my wife looked at property in/around Huntersville, Troutman, Mooresville areas. Since we love boating and Lake Norman looked so nice on a map we wanted to at least rent an apartment in one of those areas once we got there. Actually, when we go to the Charlotte area, we stayed at an Extended Stay Hotel off of the 77/485 and felt "to far" away from Lake Norman. Yes, Lake Wyle was close, but we moved her in-part to live close to Lake Norman, not Wyle. Anyway, we ended up renting a very nice looking/brand new apartment in Huntersville. We have been here since last Oct and can TRULY see why people would want to move to this area!!! And, with all the boats tied to docks around the lake and all the boats that are in Dry Storage here, this lake is VERY BIG for boating. Now, if you're not into boating, you may not want to move to this area, but for people who love their boats.......this is definitely the place to live. There are gorgeous looking homes along this lake also. Costly, but beautiful!! Fact is, if we could afford one, we would be right there to sign the papers for one.
Yes, there is traffic and growth going on in both Huntersville and Mooresville, but that was also happening in Parker, Colorado where we use to live. Like in Parker, when people hear of a "low crime", "nice area" to live in, a lot of them will head there. The reason we left Parker wasn't due to crime or growth.......it was the "inches-to-feet" of snow that we got during the 5 1/2 years of winter we were there. Originally from Indiana and Michigan, there were times during the winters that we swear we got more snow at our house in CO than we did in either Indiana or Michigan. I had a hip replacement while living in CO and also a shoulder surgery from falling in deep snow/ice in 2006. The cold there was affecting both my hip/shoulder so we sold the house and left.
Huntersville is growing, but not as fast as Mooresville has and they are still nice areas to live in. Once they get too crowded or crime rises, we just move somewhere else if we choose to.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 PM

95 posts, read 297,301 times
Well, just wanted to say that I worked in Carmel, lived off Route 9 and was 5-8 minutes from Walmart , No children, no boat, but its calming to sit by the lake down here. When we lived in NY I used to eat lunch over by White Pond, and take are other dog there to swim. Have a dog here, and go to Jetton Park now and again to walk her. But, my son takes our dog for a walk every weekend and several afternoons during the week. Maybe we will meet each other some day.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,536 times
A couple years ago I had never even heard of Mooresville. Now we've been here about 16 months, a few months in an apartment while our house was being built, and now in our house for a little over a year. We don't have a view of the lake but we do have woods and a little creek winding through our property which is only 1/4 acre in a subdivision. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT HERE!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 PM

250 posts, read 530,671 times
Default complaints

So much of this is relative....

Traffic? Try it in Chicago where the traffic on the Dan Ryan Expressway is literally stopped to the point where people nap waiting to move. Here in Cleveland I used to drive 90 minutes to go 32 miles every morning from Akron to get to my job in downtown Cleveland.

Schools? Parents don't spare time with their kids, choosing to give them every video game console, DVD players in the car..... and then blame the school when their kid can't read.

I read an apartment view about how crime was just taking over this apartment. Then I called the apartment to ask about the review. This guy had left his car not only unlocked with the door wide open, but running. And then it got stolen and he blamed the city. I also called the police and asked about car theft in that specific area. Compared to where I live now, it was amazingly low.

I live where 2 pizza delivery drivers are shot every week, where old ladies in their 70s get mugged for their purse, where crackheads rip aluminum siding off houses to sell for scrap so they can buy a rock.

All relative.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,963,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
BxRosie,

I was so happy to see people still adding comments to this thread. We actually have a trip already scheduled for the end of May. I have appointments set up in both the MGSD (Intermediate & High School), Brawley Middle & Lake Norman High. Once I know which school district is going to be a good fit for our family then we can focus on a home purchase/ rental. If you can think of anything else we should be considering please feel free to let me know. Its all good................
It's an awesome awesome area I lived there for a short while last year and loved it. The traffic stunk on the 77 but what can ya do. The other issue I had was lack of street lights on roads. I'm not used to driving on dark roads. Here in AZ our roads are lit up like Christmas trees at night I had a hard time seeing without my brights on.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,579 times
Default Oh really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I think you were probably reading posts from the vocal minority who have to complain about everything. We've been in Mooresville for 5 years and it's just fine. As mentioned above, the town is developing and traffic can be dicey at times. It's not hard at all to avoid most of it.
What you mean about the local minority complaining?
Please explain...

Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,673,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa394 View Post
What you mean about the local minority complaining?
Please explain...
lol: vocal not local.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
You surely are mistaken on this point. Old, fat, and balding I get a LEAST 3 offers a week, usually by DM from this forum board from ladies who ask that I come down and spend a few days with them. On the occasions that I accepted their offers I was met at the airport and had 3 days and 2 nites of absolute pleasure and relaxation. I can't begin to tell you half of it as this is a family channel and I just don't want to get into the details.

I also have had offers from the "golfing set" to come down and play a few rounds even when they knew I shot in the high 100's. (LOL maybe they thought that was my cholestrol count!) Treated to the finest private clubs and all my expenses were paid.

So Tracey, I think you're mis-informed and must come down and visit this wonderful city. Oh, my phone is ringing, need to go-it's probably Carol or Babs, or Nicole---SHOOT-it was my alarm clock and I must have been dreaming.
johne LOLatthesillynessofmypost.

Ohmygosh, how did I miss this post back in May???

Not sure we all love NY'ers THAT much, but we are pretty welcoming in general

Old 07-28-2008, 03:52 PM

163 posts, read 375,209 times
Both my Aunt and Cousins have moved there. They both tell they've made a good choice. Both sold on the upswing from LI NY. Seems like a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte