Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times

Advertisements

There is no question the public has a right to question government. It is afterall "their" government. However much of this had devolved into nothing but pettyness.

Take for example the Arlington school district in Texas. This school district declined to show Obama's speech to its students. However it is also going to bus 500 of its students to an event near Dallas to listen to a speech given by GW Bush.

I simply don't understand the rationale behind this except to say, it is petty. Go to any other industrialized nation in the world and they simply don't play these kind of games with children's education. This is why they own us now.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
There is no question the public has a right to question government. It is afterall "their" government. However much of this had devolved into nothing but pettyness.

Take for example the Arlington school district in Texas. This school district declined to show Obama's speech to its students. However it is also going to bus 500 of its students to an event near Dallas to listen to a speech given by GW Bush.

I simply don't understand the rationale behind this except to say, it is petty. Go to any other industrialized nation in the world and they simply don't play these kind of games with children's education. This is why they own us now.
Definitely agree... we absolutely have the right to question our government. Thats what makes this country so wonderful...

The rest of the crap is pure ignorance!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
Is it necessary for any of us to be so rude to other posters???

Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Is it necessary for any of us to be so rude to other posters???
I'm holding back.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
I'm not being rude, calling people petty or suggesting their actions are ignorant.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm not being rude, calling people petty or suggesting their actions are ignorant.
Well, then I would assume that the comment wasn't referring to me.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Well, then I would assume that the comment wasn't referring to me.
Luv, the universe doesn't revolve around you so that is probably an accurate deduction.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
The issue wasn't that there was a message from the president. The problem was that there was a lesson plan requiring students to explain what they can do for him as president. The irritation was that the president's job is to work for and serve Americans, not the other way around. The whole lesson plan was revised and is fine in its current configuration. Again, he devised a poorly researched agenda.

The trip to see ex-president G.W. Bush is a fieldtrip. It is voluntary. There is no similarity between a voluntary field trip and a mandatory lesson plan (in the original form) to enhance a career.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
lawza.

partisan politics will be the death of our great nation.

this thread makes T-Rex angry.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
I think its an absolute shame that this is even an issue. It was never an issue when President Reagan wanted to talk to me and my fellow classmates about saying no to drugs. My parents (who were democrats), never questioned or showed me any sign of disrespect when OUR PRESIDENT wanted to talk to us about education... NEVER.
Agreed. For so many people to get so bent out of shape about the fact that the current President was to address the schoolchildren of the nation is simply sad and pathetic. This was not an attempt to start a 21st century, American version of the Hitler Youth - it was just an address to the kids of this country. However, in this bipartisan country full of many simple-minded people whose sociopolitical knowledge is limited to soundbytes from the radio or TV personality of their choice, even this became politicized and blown out of proportion. The fact that this became such a big deal actually makes me feel somewhat embarassed about our country as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte