Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Please explain shadow inventory to someone with limited business knowledge. Thanks!
It's loosely defined as empty homes that don't appear on MLS... I've also heard it referred to as "zombie stock". We all know these house as we drive around neighborhoods - obviously empty with no signage that it is for sale.

This could be because an absentee owner can't recoup their money and pay off the mortgage so they sit on it in hopes the market will "rebound". It's more commonly REO / distressed properties that the banks sit on as to not flood the market. If they put it all on the market at the same time they'll put a serious dent in existing values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Ani, I know he is the OP but I've been the OP too and he's been all over me on that forum. How many times does an original thread go off track a little, its not like I really went off topic and started talking about abortion issues. Again I was just expressing my opinion. Others have gotten off track much further than I on this forum, for example "keeping up with the joneses"....but he's ALWAYS ridiculing me no matter what it is so I don't care that he is the OP...he was wrong. I know he's your friend Ani, but he needs to back off.
You are my friend, too, Amanda and I thought what you wrote was a nice explanation of why you chose this area and gave insight into why you will stay - and still left room for some - maybe? - in it, lol.

To me, it all fit together but I could see what Pink was saying . . . in the end, I think he has gotten a lot of good discussion from the thread.

I just want everyone to enjoy posting and know that their opinions are appreciated. I certainly have enjoyed reading the responses and found them informative, as well.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM

206 posts, read 514,446 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
High five! That's my philosophy, too.

I really don't feel that most folks I know are trying to impress anyone. They are doing what they enjoy doing and choosing the things they choose (just as I do) b/c they either collect that type of thing (i.e. Waterford crystal) or they like the quality of the item (i.e. Chanel).

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the finer things in life. I do think some folks are insecure and think that by owning certain things, it makes them more socially acceptable and then there are those who are really very envious of everyone and so try to prove they have "better" of xxx than everyone else.

Maybe this is going on around me and I am just too old to notice/care. I think it is a lot more "in your face" if you have kids and the kids are competitive w/ "who has what." (Pretty superficial stuff to be teaching a child-especially if it is tied to a type of snobbery that teaches kids they are "better" than others b/c of material possessions).

I couldn't agree with you and Bajanqueen more. I really don't care if folks can afford what they have or not because I am not tying to keep up with them. Sounds like a lot of insecurity and envy IMO.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
I couldn't agree with you and Bajanqueen more. I really don't care if folks can afford what they have or not because I am not tying to keep up with them. Sounds like a lot of insecurity and envy IMO.
No, you have it all wrong. The people who do it are the insecure and envious ones. That's what I don't like about it. You guys all missed the point that the people who live like that may or may not be able to afford it, but they do it to create an image, not just to enjoy themselves with nice things.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ab, I hope that your husband finds a job in this area. I think that you'd come out a lot better after the Garden Parkway is built.

While I don't know if I'd buy the exact house that I bought, I would move to Kings Mountain again. There is a lot going on here, & the real estate values will be going up here when the Garden Parkway comes through this area & again when the commuter train line comes.
Thanks for reminding me about the parkway. I didn't know about the commuter line, but always thought, as I drove over the tracks in Belmont, that it'd be great to have commuter rail into Charlotte.

Although we are "meh" about the area, we still have been gardening, working on upkeep, etc. (what we can afford). Someone once told me "Thrive where you are planted." which sounds a lot like "Be here now."

Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the parkway. I didn't know about the commuter line, but always thought, as I drove over the tracks in Belmont, that it'd be great to have commuter rail into Charlotte.

Although we are "meh" about the area, we still have been gardening, working on upkeep, etc. (what we can afford). Someone once told me "Thrive where you are planted." which sounds a lot like "Be here now."

I like that! That's our attitude while we are here as well!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
...You guys all missed the point that the people who live like that may or may not be able to afford it, but they do it to create an image, not just to enjoy themselves with nice things.
Well, I don't presume to know the motivations behind people's purchases, nor their ability to afford the things they buy, so I can't agree with that statement.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post

You're welcome.

Yes, the commuter line is a done deal.

Gastonia has been pushing to revive the commuter train for several years & is willing to go with diesel to get it up & running ASAP. The next stop will be east Kings Mountain, where there will be a park & ride lot. They can probably use existing tracks to this point.

NCDOT became involved because Charlotte does not want a diesel train coming from west of the city. The Gastonia train will be allowed & will stop at the transportation center that NCDOT is building.

An article appearred in the Kings Mountain Herald. In the article a representative from NCDOT said that the commuter train will run from the park & ride lot in Kings Mountain to 3 stops in Shelby & on to Boiling Springs.

I suspect that, due to some searching that I did, the train would then run to an existing train line in Rutherford County which goes on to Asheville.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome.

Yes, the commuter line is a done deal.

Gastonia has been pushing to revive the commuter train for several years & is willing to go with diesel to get it up & running ASAP. The next stop will be east Kings Mountain, where there will be a park & ride lot. They can probably use existing tracks to this point.

NCDOT became involved because Charlotte does not want a diesel train coming from west of the city. The Gastonia train will be allowed & will stop at the transportation center that NCDOT is building.

An article appearred in the Kings Mountain Herald. In the article a representative from NCDOT said that the commuter train will run from the park & ride lot in Kings Mountain to 3 stops in Shelby & on to Boiling Springs.

I suspect that, due to some searching that I did, the train would then run to an existing train line in Rutherford County which goes on to Asheville.
I think letting our train system fall into disrepair has been a HUGE mistake. I was questioning this back in the 70s! I think using rail, whether for cargo or passengers, is sensible and cost-effective.

I am totally ignorant about this commuter line you are describing! How close to the city will the NCDOT transportation center be? A commuter train right into Charlotte is what should happen - or tie it in with one of the light rail stops.

Sometimes I wonder what city leaders in CLT are thinking. I want to know more about this.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think letting our train system fall into disrepair has been a HUGE mistake. I was questioning this back in the 70s! I think using rail, whether for cargo or passengers, is sensible and cost-effective.

I am totally ignorant about this commuter line you are describing! How close to the city will the NCDOT transportation center be? A commuter train right into Charlotte is what should happen - or tie it in with one of the light rail stops.

Sometimes I wonder what city leaders in CLT are thinking. I want to know more about this.
Ani, The Kings Mountain to Boiling Springs line was in the Kings Mountain Herald. The Gastonia line information is in the Gaston Gazette. I posted a thread a while back & Lumbollo mentioned several things & I was able to hunt down enough to put the whole thing together.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...orman-rpo.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte