Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Exactly. And it would seem that blacks in and around chicago are raised with a disproportionate lack of civic consciousness. I would never say it is genetic. It is cultural. It is still arguably true, though. And of course there are many individual exceptions. These are just trends.

In a trash white area there would probably be lots of whites tossing trash. I don't see that much in chicago though.
According to city-data stats only 9.4% of whites are in poverty, one of the lowest in a a big city for whites. Compare to Detroit 28.7% of whites are in poverty. Usually in a high concentration of poverty a lot of trashy people come with the baggage. So maybe that is why you don't see hardly any trashy white areas in Chicago.

These are 2007 stats btw

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
According to city-data stats only 9.4% of whites are in poverty, one of the lowest in a a big city for whites. Usually in a high concentration of poverty a lot of trashy people come with the baggage. So maybe that is why you don't see hardly any trashy white areas in Chicago.

These are 2007 stats btw
No argument from me on that point.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Kevin,

And regarding referring to whites as child molesters this is such crap as many family molestations are not reported among hispanics and blacks. Given the reported numbers it is easy to infer that whites are more likely to be rapists/molesters, but this is misleading. I suspect if you incorporate all the molestations that occur amongst family members there would not be a big difference between the races.
Yes, and neither are shoot-outs, gangs, robberises,etc that are committed by whites. Never hear about that on the news.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Opkl

Please back up your comment about whites involved in shoot-outs, gangs, and robberies not being on the news. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:06 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Please back up your comment about whites involved in shoot-outs, gangs, and robberies not being on the news. Thanks.
Hee! I could ask the same of you with the molestation claim.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
No argument from me on that point.
Yep and here some more information I found looking at the unemployment rate among races/ethnics according to the US census bureau

Unemployment 2005-2007 for Chicago ages 16 & over or 20-64 years old

White(non hispanic)-5.1%
Black/African American-18.7%
Asian-5.9%
Hispanic-8.7%

: On the flip side Blacks have the lowest employed with 46% with everybody else being in the 60% range .

It explain a lot why the crime rate seem to be unbalance

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 07-13-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
There is some potential chicken and egg action going on here, but I basically hear ya.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 AM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Hee! I could ask the same of you with the molestation claim.
Thank you!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,103 times
well I was planning on debating my friend on a topic like this, and somehow when I decided to look some stuff up I ran across this forum, read through this debate, and decided to sign up to the forum and throw my two cents in on the matter; regardless of the fact that no one will probably read it since the discussion appears to be at a halt haha.

But anyways, I'm pretty much a white 19 year old male from Lansing with independent views on politics. I've lived here my whole life. My neighborhood changed a lot in that a lot of white people moved away and a lot of black people moved in. Crime, I personally see that it increased or has appeared to have increased, maybe. My brother’s car was broken into, probably some immature kids, and there were a couple shootings the spring prior to that one of which being the one someone mentioned earlier at the Bernice apartments. I honestly think it's just the few trouble makers out there being a bad influence on the kids that are even younger which would explain the crime and the poorer ratings in school b/c of bad attitudes. It's pretty much common sense that lack of education and good role models lead to kids following trends that indirectly promote ignorance which leads to crime and very foolish ways of life. But anyways I digressed as far as the crime it may have increased but hell, it's not that bad where I'm from. Over this past summer of 09 I went on these epic night walks with some friends from like 9pm-4am and we didn't ever have a problem with anyone messing with us or even confronting us. Furthermore I pretty much like all my neighbors and really appreciate that they tolerate my bands haha. But anyways I think a lot of crimes can be avoided if people use a little common sense, ie. lock your up your stuff don't leave valuable things presentable to everyone and I could go on and on. Yea Lansing is not a frickin happy leave it to beaver looking town or w/e but it's not that bad where I live. I did read some peoples comments on some different locations in lansing such as the pioneer motel and torrence around the expressway and what not, and idk myself about how those areas are but I just hope that the people who said that stuff weren't exaggerating.

I also understand the "white flighter's" views to an extent though; if crime truly is significantly increasing in your neighborhood then why should you have to put up with it? Especially if you're raising a family.

Another thing I wanted to mention was my high school experience. I went to tfsouth, I used to be more against the whole neighborhood changing thing when I was younger but I grew up a lot since then. I noticed a lot of immaturity within in my grade b/w whites and blacks and I noticed that school had had a serious impact on us all in that by senior year the kids I grew up with white and black had all grown up a lot and were moving on to better things in life. I think I speak for at least 95% of my graduating class, the class of 08, that we all grew up quite a bit throughout our highschool careers. That’s my personally experience.

It's a no brainer that education, good role models including parents, friends, good neighbors, good teachers and other authorities have to be present to build our community up to a rational bunch of people who act and teach as such. Come on for all the people who do stay in Lansing and Lynwood, make an effort to be more kind and helpful to our neighbors!!! don’t just act like you care on the good neighbor day parade each year.

So yea for anyone who reads I’m sorry if my argument is to subjective, but look at my personal experiences as references, and look at my points as well I think I made some.

Education, common sense and kindness FTW! haha

Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM

68 posts, read 215,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjeffcanudigit View Post
well I was planning on debating my friend on a topic like this, and somehow when I decided to look some stuff up I ran across this forum, read through this debate, and decided to sign up to the forum and throw my two cents in on the matter; regardless of the fact that no one will probably read it since the discussion appears to be at a halt haha.

But anyways, I'm pretty much a white 19 year old male from Lansing with independent views on politics. I've lived here my whole life. My neighborhood changed a lot in that a lot of white people moved away and a lot of black people moved in. Crime, I personally see that it increased or has appeared to have increased, maybe. My brother’s car was broken into, probably some immature kids, and there were a couple shootings the spring prior to that one of which being the one someone mentioned earlier at the Bernice apartments. I honestly think it's just the few trouble makers out there being a bad influence on the kids that are even younger which would explain the crime and the poorer ratings in school b/c of bad attitudes. It's pretty much common sense that lack of education and good role models lead to kids following trends that indirectly promote ignorance which leads to crime and very foolish ways of life. But anyways I digressed as far as the crime it may have increased but hell, it's not that bad where I'm from. Over this past summer of 09 I went on these epic night walks with some friends from like 9pm-4am and we didn't ever have a problem with anyone messing with us or even confronting us. Furthermore I pretty much like all my neighbors and really appreciate that they tolerate my bands haha. But anyways I think a lot of crimes can be avoided if people use a little common sense, ie. lock your up your stuff don't leave valuable things presentable to everyone and I could go on and on. Yea Lansing is not a frickin happy leave it to beaver looking town or w/e but it's not that bad where I live. I did read some peoples comments on some different locations in lansing such as the pioneer motel and torrence around the expressway and what not, and idk myself about how those areas are but I just hope that the people who said that stuff weren't exaggerating.

I also understand the "white flighter's" views to an extent though; if crime truly is significantly increasing in your neighborhood then why should you have to put up with it? Especially if you're raising a family.

Another thing I wanted to mention was my high school experience. I went to tfsouth, I used to be more against the whole neighborhood changing thing when I was younger but I grew up a lot since then. I noticed a lot of immaturity within in my grade b/w whites and blacks and I noticed that school had had a serious impact on us all in that by senior year the kids I grew up with white and black had all grown up a lot and were moving on to better things in life. I think I speak for at least 95% of my graduating class, the class of 08, that we all grew up quite a bit throughout our highschool careers. That’s my personally experience.

It's a no brainer that education, good role models including parents, friends, good neighbors, good teachers and other authorities have to be present to build our community up to a rational bunch of people who act and teach as such. Come on for all the people who do stay in Lansing and Lynwood, make an effort to be more kind and helpful to our neighbors!!! don’t just act like you care on the good neighbor day parade each year.

So yea for anyone who reads I’m sorry if my argument is to subjective, but look at my personal experiences as references, and look at my points as well I think I made some.

Education, common sense and kindness FTW! haha
So, when you say people want to move on to bigger and better things, Lansing is not in the future for you, right? That says it all right there, it's done. Think about the people who pioneered and built Lansing into what it once was, a nice place. No longer and you admit it. You want to leave.

That's not the way anyone should think of their hometown, and it is not the way Lansing families once thought. You seem to be numbed also to the crime issue, which again is not the way America once was. Talk to your grandparents, see what they think. Move to St. John and live in a real place where people don't want to flee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs