Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I also talked about the irish, italians, polish and germans of Chicago too.
Where do you think all of those suburbanites came from? They didn't just magically appear in the suburbs. They are the Irish, Italians, Polish and German people that LEFT THE CITY JUST A SHORT TIME AGO!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Holy crap. Did I just hear a Hispanic whine about culture being shoved down his throat?!?! Now I've heard it all!

You want the bottom line, pal? The entire country has Hispanic culture shoved down their throats on a daily basis. Now you have to deal with a little reverse treatment and you whine and cry? Like we've had to do... DEAL WITH IT.
I have no problem with Hispanics, but there is more than a bit of irony here...

Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
Even people who just have the Italian, Mexican etc flags on their cars tick me off because we're in the United States. If you're so proud to be Italian, Mexican or Puerto Rican (nobody is saying that you don't have that right), then go live in Italy, Mexico or Puerto Rico.
So should we remove the Italian flag from the front of my pizza box or the side of my spaghetti sauce jar? And what about the French flag on my baguette bag?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Where do you think all of those suburbanites came from? They didn't just magically appear in the suburbs. They are the Irish, Italians, Polish and German people that LEFT THE CITY JUST A SHORT TIME AGO!
No ones talking about the suburbs man.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with Hispanics, but there is more than a bit of irony here...
Like I've stated before, I've talked about Hispanics shoving their culture onto ours in the Illegal Immigration forum, look at my statistics. I'm not as one sited as everyone likes to paint me.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
So should we remove the Italian flag from the front of my pizza box or the side of my spaghetti sauce jar? And what about the French flag on my baguette bag?
well said.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
...and back then it was truly diverse.
You are very ill-informed. Even though white people are gentrifying many neighborhoods, the net effect is still a loss of white people in the city. "White Flight" is still occuring in full force in many of the city's outlying neighborhoods, and the gentrifiers aren't replacing them in enough numbers to make up for the loss. So, since your definition of "diversity" seems to be a lack of white people, the city is more diverse than ever by your definition.

I think these discussions about freezing any neighborhood in a certain time period are incredibly silly. Exactly what racial mix should be allowed in your perfect "diverse" world, and how would you go about implementing it? And the gentrification fighters are some of the silliest and most irritating activists we have in the city. Thank God for the strong arm of capitalism in this case. Market forces will win this battle in the end.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
No ones talking about the suburbs man.
Oh, so you only hate people from other states? You have no idea who is really moving in to your neighborhood, do you?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Oh, so you only hate people from other states? You have no idea who is really moving in to your neighborhood, do you?
Nope, not really, I don't socialize with them all that much since we really don't have much in common. The ones I have talked to were mostly from out of state. Again, it's not really where they're from, it's what they bring. They could be from Norridge or they could be from Cleveland for all I care.

And the Irish, German, Polish and Italians I was talking about are the ones that live in the city and grew up for generations in the city. And there are (or maybe "were" is the better word now) lots of them.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You are very ill-informed. Even though white people are gentrifying many neighborhoods, the net effect is still a loss of white people in the city. "White Flight" is still occuring in full force in many of the city's outlying neighborhoods, and the gentrifiers aren't replacing them in enough numbers to make up for the loss. So, since your definition of "diversity" seems to be a lack of white people, the city is more diverse than ever by your definition.
Again, it's not a matter of race. But if were concerning yuppies and/or hispters... well that's not what I (or amny others) witness or observe on a day to day basis, so this supposed "white flight" means very little to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago