Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Just take the scene for what it says...
The Scene

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

1. The thief feared God, and he rebuked the other thief for not fearing God.
2. He acknowledged his own sinfulness and recognized his helplessness. He realized that his punishment was justly deserved, and stated publicly that Jesus was blameless.
3. By calling Jesus "Lord", he confessed his belief in Christ's divinity. He asked for Jesus' mercy, and expressed faith in Christ's eventual triumph and the establishment of His kingdom.
4. In the midst of his own despair, he recognized the fact that Jesus was exactly who He claimed to be. In the very final minutes of life, he recognized the Kingship of Jesus Christ and the salvation He offered.
5. The thief REPENTED. There can never be salvation without repentance! He recognized the fact that he was a sinner, and realized he was lost. He recognized his his inability to save himself. He knew he couldn't get down off that cross and turn over a new leaf. We don't know what was in the thief's heart, but we do know that he confessed his sin.

If you don't want to call these things works, that's okay by me, but you would be hard pressed to say that the thief didn't show his faith. And for that reason, I can say that the thief was not saved by faith alone. He was saved by an active faith. That is what faith is. It is not a simple mental assent of belief in Christ. The demons had that kind of faith. God's mercy is what saved the thief. It wasn't the things he did, but had he not done them, had he not shown his faith, he wouldn't have been saved. The faith that the thief had is the kind of faith that pleases God. We see it over and over again throughout the Bible.

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 AM

531 posts, read 479,779 times
Quote:
not so...You'll realizr that when you grow in knowledge....
Wow. Just wow.
You are truly a delight, good sir!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM

531 posts, read 479,779 times
Quote:
It is not right or wrong...I put that out there to remember that we are not baptized into a church or assembly or a congregation but into the body of believers...the body of Jeshua....
I Corinthians 12:27 and following indicate that the church is Christ's body. And we are individual members of that body (church).

Ephesians 1:22 and 23 also indicate that.

I think you might mean that we are not baptized into church A and then when we move that we have to be baptized into church B. with this I agree. You are already a member of the body( church ).

Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
How about just studying it in it's original languages and doing in depth studies of words that may have had a different meaning to the writer?...Metaphorical, analogical, parabolic....
You are not qualified to study it in its original language. Neither am I. Why can't you just accept what it written?

This is the difference between you and I.

You accept scriptures exactly as written as long as they agree with your doctrine. When they don't, you're off on a mission to prove they mean something they don't say.

I accept them all 100% as unerring! I beleive the scriptures say what they say and mean what they say. I have faith that they are the word of God.

Katie

Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
What are you trying to say?
Think about it...Who in the Letters did Jeshua alienate?...And did it concern Him being that He came to reveal the Tuth....

Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The Scene

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

1. The thief feared God, and he rebuked the other thief for not fearing God.
2. He acknowledged his own sinfulness and recognized his helplessness. He realized that his punishment was justly deserved, and stated publicly that Jesus was blameless.
3. By calling Jesus "Lord", he confessed his belief in Christ's divinity. He asked for Jesus' mercy, and expressed faith in Christ's eventual triumph and the establishment of His kingdom.
4. In the midst of his own despair, he recognized the fact that Jesus was exactly who He claimed to be. In the very final minutes of life, he recognized the Kingship of Jesus Christ and the salvation He offered.
5. The thief REPENTED. There can never be salvation without repentance! He recognized the fact that he was a sinner, and realized he was lost. He recognized his his inability to save himself. He knew he couldn't get down off that cross and turn over a new leaf. We don't know what was in the thief's heart, but we do know that he confessed his sin.

Wow!...these are a lot of assumptions that you are making here...

Luk 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Seems Jeshua is implying here that the idea of the thief's death under the old covenant is false...

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So, why was the thief not baptized?...

Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
I Corinthians 12:27 and following indicate that the church is Christ's body. And we are individual members of that body (church).

Ephesians 1:22 and 23 also indicate that.

I think you might mean that we are not baptized into church A and then when we move that we have to be baptized into church B. with this I agree. You are already a member of the body( church ).
Right...

Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
You are not qualified to study it in its original language. Neither am I. Why can't you just accept what it written?
Not qualified?...How so?...

This is the difference between you and I.

Quote:
You accept scriptures exactly as written as long as they agree with your doctrine. When they don't, you're off on a mission to prove they mean something they don't say.
Katie...Are you looking into a mirror?...

Quote:
I accept them all 100% as unerring! I beleive the scriptures say what they say and mean what they say. I have faith that they are the word of God.

Katie
As do I...

Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
I beleive the scriptures say what they say and mean what they say.
Yeah, most of the time I think you actually do, but sometimes you think they mean what you believe they ought to mean.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, most of the time I think you actually do, but sometimes you think they mean what you believe they ought to mean.
No Katz, that would be you. You are the one who wants to take scripture and apply your own meaning. Case in point, you believe that we have apostles today.

I also remember you trying to tell me that the priesthood was still in existence. I posted you over and over and proved to you that that wasn't possible, that the priesthood died on the cross with Jesus. I even sent you DM's, but you never answered me.

I don't believe you could name a single scripture that I don't take for exactly what it says.

Shall I post the priesthood scriptures again for the fifth time? Or will you disappear when I do? That seems to be what you do when you are cornered.

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity