Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, somebody did post a list of several thousand and you just brushed them off. Since posts are limited in length, do you have any concept whatsoever of how many posts it would like to post the names of all 40,000? People have also posted links to sources that list all 40,000, but you just ignore the links, too. Basically, you just ignore everything that's in opposition to what you personally believe, even it it's 100% factual.
I saw a few hundred. But not 40k.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I saw a few hundred. But not 40k.

Vizio knows how to play the game.

OK, we get it.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
That is an absolute lie Julian. They are not Protestant. They are called Breakaway Catholics and Traditionalist Catholics. Autocephalism and sedevacantism does not lessen their Catholicism. It separates them from The Church of Rome only. You need to read and research. I simply can not believe your arrogance. To insult your fellow Catholics.......
It is rather difficult to have a dialogue with those that take all words literally. Of course they are not Protestants. However, they are doing the same thing most Protestant churches do. They cut away ties with Rome and want to do their own thing.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:53 PM

400 posts, read 601,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
All of those so-called catholic Churches you mentioned are not are not in full communion with the Holy See and do not recognize the Pope. In essence they are Protestants using the term Catholic.
Quote:
It is rather difficult to have a dialogue with those that take all words literally. Of course they are not Protestants. However, they are doing the same thing most Protestant churches do. They cut away ties with Rome and want to do their own thing.
1. Another flip-flop. First, they are Protestants then they aren't.
2. It's impossible to have a dialogue with someone who flip-flops.
3. They cut ties with Rome and want to do their own thing: LIE
Quote:
All of the following are of the Catholic Church. They are all in communion with the Bishop of Rome and acknowledge his claim of universal jurisdiction and authority. The Eastern Catholic churches and the Latin church (which together compose the worldwide Catholic Church) share the same doctrine and sacraments, and thus the same faith.

• Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church
  • Armenian Catholic Church
  • Belarusian Catholic Church
  • Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church
  • Chaldean Catholic Church
  • Coptic Catholic Church
  • Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro
  • Ethiopian Catholic Church
  • Greek Byzantine Catholic Church
  • Hungarian Byzantine Catholic Church
  • Italo-Albanian Catholic Church ; a.k.a. Italo-Greek Catholic Church
  • Macedonian Catholic Church
  • Maronite Catholic Church
  • Melkite Catholic Church
  • Romanian Catholic Church
  • Russian Catholic Church
  • Ruthenian Catholic Church ; usually called the "Byzantine Catholic Church" in the United States
  • Slovak Greek Catholic Church
  • Syriac Catholic Church
  • Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
  • Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
  • Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
According to JESUS, the Word of God is THE authority.

Jesus warns in HIS Words about those that ADD to God's Word with the "traditions of Man".

Matthew 23:9
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Why does Catholicism endorse calling one's Pastor "Father" when JESUS, the FOUNDER of the Faith says not to?

Matthew 6:7
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Why does Catholicism teach one must pray and REPEAT the following over and over for "penance"?

"Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen. "

Why is Catholicism preaching AGAINST the Words of Jesus Christ?

Is it good to "HAIL" Mary?

Isaiah 42:8I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

What "god" are they praying to?

Exodus 20:4-6

King James Version (KJV)

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

WHOSE commandments are CHRISTIANS to KEEP?
Matthew 15:8-10

King James Version (KJV)

8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:05 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Same old:

I am assuming the poster is a quaker.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS CONTROLLED BY SPACEALIENS, THE ILLUMINTI, AND SOME ANCIENT FISH GOD!!!...Well, at least that's what a conspiracy theorist website told me...There, is that bashing new enough for you?!

I think much of the power structure of the Catholic Church is biblically questionable as well as their interpretation of many biblical things, but I don't have much issue with them and still call them Christian. Protestants do tend to Bash them alot though...but not much more than they bash eachother across denominations

Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
1. Another flip-flop. First, they are Protestants then they aren't.
2. It's impossible to have a dialogue with someone who flip-flops.
3. They cut ties with Rome and want to do their own thing: LIE

• Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church
  • Armenian Catholic Church
  • Belarusian Catholic Church
  • Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church
  • Chaldean Catholic Church
  • Coptic Catholic Church
  • Byzantine Church of Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro
  • Ethiopian Catholic Church
  • Greek Byzantine Catholic Church
  • Hungarian Byzantine Catholic Church
  • Italo-Albanian Catholic Church ; a.k.a. Italo-Greek Catholic Church
  • Macedonian Catholic Church
  • Maronite Catholic Church
  • Melkite Catholic Church
  • Romanian Catholic Church
  • Russian Catholic Church
  • Ruthenian Catholic Church ; usually called the "Byzantine Catholic Church" in the United States
  • Slovak Greek Catholic Church
  • Syriac Catholic Church
  • Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
  • Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
  • Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
You are a strawman expert. The other list you posted above contained breakaway Catholic churches. Folks that want to do their own thing are common in all religions. For example there is such a thing as "JEws for Jesus".

These are some of the churches you listed before.

Quote:
Polish National Catholic Church

The Polish National Catholic Church (PNCC) is a Christian church founded and based in the United States by Polish-Americans who were Roman Catholic. The PNCC is a breakaway Catholic Church.

The Old Catholic Church of America is an autocephalous Old Catholic Church, founded in the United States of America in 1925 by Bishop Paul Francis Cope. Like most Old Catholic denominations, the Old Catholic Church of America retains pre-Vatican II Liturgical and doctrinal traditions.[1]

The Apostolic Catholic Church (ACC) is a self-governing church.
Lastly, I am not lying to you. And if I post an error you could easily point that out without calling me a liar.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM

505 posts, read 574,930 times
Much of the "bashing" lately seems to have a tone of anger or resentment to it.

In the past , when I've discussed the RCC it's been to try to point out what has been mentioned several times in this thread already: some of the docrtrines taught directly conflict with Holy scripture. Since the people implicitly trust their leaders to teach them truthfully, many may not know they are being mislead.
I always tried to approach this topic from a heart of love. I hope others do too. The real problem seems to be that being taught and then believing in false doctrine pushes God into a corner. Practicing false doctrine presumes upon the grace and mercy of God to cover the actions of Catholics who should know God's will and how He expects us to worship Him. Example: with Jesus' sacrifice on the cross we can now go directly to the throne of God and ask for forgiveness. In fact we are told to. There is no need to ask a priest to forgive your sins and indeed I don't believe this is Biblical. If the priest does not have the power to forgive sins ("Who can forgive sins but God only?"- Mk. 2:7) then are the sins of the people actually forgiven?? Many are quite disturbed at this teaching which may or may not deny heaven to it's own members. Many believe that the RCC is leading it's own straight to hell and feel the need to intercede on their behalf to save them from their own church.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM

400 posts, read 601,757 times
Quote:
A lot of NEW Protestant denominations have obsession with the issue of salvation.
1. This is nothing NEW. They are simply fulfilling The Great Commision as they see it.
2. Did you get that list together?

Quote:
There is no proselytization, everybody is cool.
Proselytize 1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith. A call to salvation is not a call to join a specific church or a specific religion, but instead a call to become a member of Christ's body. I don't know any church that would accept church membership immediately upon accepting Christ as saviour.

Quote:
I love the fact that they [Catholics] freely accept others.
Then why don't you?

Quote:
The other list you posted above contained breakaway Catholic churches. Folks that want to do their own thing are common in all religions. For example there is such a thing as "JEws for Jesus". These are some of the churches you listed before.
I only quoted the sources. I don't write the rules for Breakaway Catholics, Traditionalist Catholics, and Eastern Catholics that are in communion with the Bishop of Rome.

Quote:
Lastly, I am not lying to you. And if I post an error you could easily point that out without calling me a liar.
You're right. I'll refrain.

Julian I'll leave you with this BREAKING NEWS. Anglicans could receive Roman Catholic communion, Archbishop suggests - Telegraph
Remember earlier, maybe in another thread, I said changes were underfoot? An era of reconcilliation and reunification is being ushered in by Pope Francis and is today's message. It's time to move out of the past, embrace the future, or risk being a relic, a dinosaur in the tar pit. God Bless.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Round two of Catholic bashing. Make sure to always play the pedophile card. I guess the Church preaches pedophilia.

Same old!
It's not that the church preaches pedophilia or child abuse. It is such a small portion of the priest population. The problem I have is with the politics of the church that hid the abuse and did nothing to solve the problem. The church is supposed to guide and care for their parishioners and some were let down. I think the catholic church needs reform, and maybe it has already happened. If it has, this argument is now moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity