Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 01:43 PM

952 posts, read 323,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Hmmm, could it be they take a page from the text of the early Hebrews, who, set free by God, still wanted to engage in pagan idolatry?
The "gay" referendum appears to have the support of thinking Americans--if that is "marriage" you are speaking of:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...-finds-n799376
You have swerved into the political arena .
Christians & homosexuality being the thread's original topic ?
Okay I'll play along with the politics for this one post .
Moderator cut: edit
I'll even throw in the 263 Westboro church members in California if that will help ?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Politics unrelated to Christianity

Old 06-02-2019, 01:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Not sure if it is a lack of honesty or knowledge going on here , but in terms of per-capita numbers the most virulently anti-homosexual Christian group is actually very liberal in every other social respect .
They are the African American Christians .
Maybe it is lack of both. Honesty was never an ingredient in gay agenda, and maybe knowledge wasn't either.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:00 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is sad and disgraceful to see people here claiming to be born again believers yet are promoting and encouraging this sin. I wanted to see what Andrew Wommack had to say on the topic and wow, his short video speaks the truth more than I have here. Leviticus 19:17 says we should not hate our neighbor, but if you don't rebuke their sin, you share in their guilt. If you stay idlely by and say nothing about their sin, that is not love, it's hate! Christians who say they just want to love homosexuals and encourage them are caring more about their own pride and ego. That's what I see here is this thread. Lots of grand standing. Look at me. Look how I am so much better than those awful bigoted hateful fundies!!! The gay agenda even wants us to believe that homosexuals are more important than any other group out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpV5e9Z4EJ0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I like Wommack but disagree with him here. What i find more disturbing in this debate is the attitude of the likes of you and Finn Jarber towards homosexuals. For arguments sake, let's say it is sinful, you and Finn Jarber simply do not have the ability to reach homosexuals because of the spirit you are both of, you both would do more damage than any good. The bible in the hands of a bible fundamentalist is a dangerous weapon.
I watched the vid and what he is doing is saying that homosexuality is wrong because of Leviticus 19:17

Then tries to equate it with lying, cheating, killing which comes from the 10 commandments

You can not pluck 2 things out of context and put them together ....also in Leviticus there is mention of not mixing wool and linen

If you Start following the Leviticus statutes and judgements given to the priests you are bound to all of them

If you follow the letter of the 10 commandments you are bound to all of them

James 2:10 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10Whoever keeps the whole Law but stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.…

The New Testament is about looking at the types in the old and understanding what those types/symbols mean

Christ came to fulfill all prophecy and deliver those bound by the mosaic laws, of which we read in Jeremiah that the scribes, prophets, priests have mishandled. If you believe in Christ and are free from the old covenant you will follow Christ and not become entangled with the other system that was prophecied (Rome) which fulfills the prophetic things in those writings (prophecies in both the old and new testaments)

I agree pcamps that the bible has been, AND IS, a dangerous weapon in the hands of the people who say they believe in Christ but have promoted wars, discrimination, slavery and we are at the end of that where the children of that system are saying that the state of the world does not have anything to do with them or their (religious) fathers/mother - it was the atheists, Jews, Islam’s, barbarians, essentially anybody but them, that have caused all the problems and they are guilt free because they believe in Jesus, who is going to wave a magic wand when he returns to take them to heaven and fix the problem of the wars, discrimination etc by eternally tormenting them or just getting rid of them forever.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe it is lack of both. Honesty was never an ingredient in gay agenda, and maybe knowledge wasn't either.
Now you're just flailing.

Impotently.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I watched the vid and what he is doing is saying that homosexuality is wrong because of Leviticus 19:17
How do you figure?

Leviticua 19:17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart: you shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you figure?

Leviticua 19:17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart: you shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.
I figure because Leviticus is addressed to the sons of Israel , relayed by Moses, out of the tabernacle of the congregation about the sacrifices, laws, judgements which are actually not about literal things, the scriptures are full of parables, types, metaphors which we are instructed not to worship

He is using a passage picked from Leviticus, then linking it to the 10 commandments.

The context of who, what, where, why needs to be kept in mind when reading the scriptures I believe

Lev 1:1 And Jehovah called to Moses and spoke to him out of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying,
Lev 1:2 Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, If any one of you brings an offering to Jehovah, from livestock of the herd, or from the flock, you shall bring near your offering.
Lev 1:3 If his offering is out of the herd, a male, without blemish, he shall bring it to the opening of the tabernacle of the congregation, at his pleasure, before the face of Jehovah.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:58 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is sad and disgraceful to see people here claiming to be born again believers yet are promoting and encouraging this sin. I wanted to see what Andrew Wommack had to say on the topic and wow, his short video speaks the truth more than I have here. Leviticus 19:17 says we should not hate our neighbor, but if you don't rebuke their sin, you share in their guilt. If you stay idly by and say nothing about their sin, that is not love, it's hate!
No one is promoting or encouraging this sin, Jeff. They are simply not judging and condemning anyone - "throwing the first stone." You and your fellow condemners are throwing not just the first but the second, third, fourth, etc. stones usurping God's role. You pretend that your "stones" are just protecting your religious freedom but no one is fooled by it. It has no relationship to Christ's love, period.
Quote:
Christians who say they just want to love homosexuals and encourage them are caring more about their own pride and ego. That's what I see here is this thread. Lots of grandstanding. Look at me. Look how I am so much better than those awful bigoted hateful fundies!!! The gay agenda even wants us to believe that homosexuals are more important than any other group out there.
No one is demanding that homosexuals be more important than any other group out there, just equally important.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No one is promoting or encouraging this sin, Jeff. They are simply not judging and condemning anyone - "throwing the first stone." You and your fellow condemners are throwing not just the first but the second, third, fourth, etc. stones usurping God's role. You pretend that your "stones" are just protecting your religious freedom but no one is fooled by it. It has no relationship to Christ's love, period. No one is demanding that homosexuals be more important than any other group out there, just equally important.
just my opinion But I don’t believe sexual attraction between 2 individual people of the same sex is a “sin” as such

The places where the scriptures say male not to lay with male comes from a book which is addressed to the sons of Israel by the lawgiver Moses which are types of the Christ that was to come

I don’t believe that the things written in Leviticus were meant to be taken as a literal commentary on the behaviour of individual people .... the law for the individuals is this - Love God and your neighbour as yourself ie do not lie, cheat and covet your neighbours possessions,

Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
just my opinion But I don’t believe sexual attraction between 2 individual people of the same sex is a “sin” as such

The places where the scriptures say male not to lay with male comes from a book which is addressed to the sons of Israel by the lawgiver Moses which are types of the Christ that was to come

I don’t believe that the things written in Leviticus were meant to be taken as a literal commentary on the behaviour of individual people .... the law for the individuals is this - Love God and your neighbour as yourself ie do not lie, cheat and covet your neighbours possessions,
I do not disagree with this view.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I figure because Leviticus is addressed to the sons of Israel , relayed by Moses, out of the tabernacle of the congregation about the sacrifices, laws, judgements which are actually not about literal things, the scriptures are full of parables, types, metaphors which we are instructed not to worship

He is using a passage picked from Leviticus, then linking it to the 10 commandments.

The context of who, what, where, why needs to be kept in mind when reading the scriptures I believe
That is quite a reach. You said what he is doing is saying that homosexuality is wrong because of Leviticus 19:17

Leviticus 19:17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart: you shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.