Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
For one thing KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hellfire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed and Not kept burning.
So, there is No endless punishment but simply: destruction ( non-life )
Eternal punishment is annihilation because the wicked will be destroyed forever - Psalms 92:7

Eternal Death (Conditional Immortality, Annihilation):
A writing by Gary Amirault specifically refuting the arguments that seemingly support the idea that the Bible teaches annihilation and showing that the Bible teaches universal salvation instead.
One Step Out of Hell; One Step Short of Glory
ETERNAL DEATH ANNIHILATION?
Eternal Death (Conditional Immortality, Annihilation): One Step Out of Hell; One Step Short of Glory

INTRODUCTION
When it comes to the final destination of the wicked, or unrighteous, Christians over the past two millenniums have divided themselves into three beliefs: 1. Eternal Torment, 2. Eternal Death (Annihilationism), and 3. Salvation of the whole world through Jesus Christ. Each of these views can be supported with Scriptures. Having been in all three groups, I know that there are sincere Bible centered believers in all of them. Obviously, all three cannot be true. Two of them have to be false.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 PM

WILL UNBELIEVERS BE ANNIHILATED? (chapters three and four)
Lighthouse Library International - ALL IN ALL

Old 03-24-2016, 02:37 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
For one thing KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hellfire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed and Not kept burning.
So, there is No endless punishment but simply: destruction ( non-life )
Eternal punishment is annihilation because the wicked will be destroyed forever - Psalms 92:7
This translation is closer to the Hebrew for Psalms 92:7:

Psa 92:7 The wicked bud like herbage, And all contrivers of lawlessness blossom, But only that they be exterminated until the future,

Since God will have all mankind to be saved, the wicked cannot possibly be destroyed for ever unless of course you understand that an *ever* is an AIWN in Greek or an OLAM in Hebrew which should never be thought of as "eternal" since the bible says all the AIWN's end.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 PM

John 3:16
DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ARE NOT ETERNAL - Kenneth Larsen

Jesus knew that John 3:16 was not the end of the story…that’s why He continued to John 3:17 and talked about the salvation of all mankind!!!
Jesus makes no attempt to use verse 16 to negate or qualify verse 17. He simply makes both statements side by side as if both are completely true. The reason He does this is that both ARE completely true.
We see this over and over in Scripture, especially in the writings of Paul – a statement about people who have faith now (maybe a warning or exhortation or encouragement about the benefits of taking part in the kingdom of God a.k.a. the next two ages of life on earth) right next to a statement about how Christ accomplished the justification of all men. See Romans 3:23-24 and 5:18 and their contexts for example. This is no big deal; none of these statements negate, qualify (change), or contradict each other, because both concepts are 100% true. Some will be saved from death early and take part in the kingdom of God, and everyone else will be saved from death later.
To attempt to use some statements (about those who get saved early) to negate the others statements (about the eventual salvation of all) is to butcher the common sense rules of language and communication. We would never do this to each other in everyday communication; the only reason people try to do it to Jesus and Paul is because they cannot bring themselves to believe the plain statements about the eventual salvation of all mankind.
If I said to my kids, “Those of you who help me clean the yard today will get to go to a movie with me tomorrow, and next week I will take the rest of you to a movie,” I have made it very clear that all the kids will eventually go to the movies. My two statements do not contradict each other or negate each other in any way. This is the exact same thing Jesus does in John 3:16 and 17 – He makes two equally true statements. Yet “hell mindset” Christians try to make one statement negate the other in order to fit their preconceived inherited ideas.

"What About how the Bible says that those who do not believe will perish or be destroyed?" What Does it Mean to "Perish?"

Old 03-24-2016, 02:49 PM

The meaning of words that have been translated as “eternal”, “forever”, “incurable” in the scriptures

Sodom's fiery judgment is "eternal" (Jude
7)--until--God "will restore the fortunes of Sodom"
Ez. 16:53-55).

Israel's "affliction is incurable" (Jer.
30:12)-until--the Lord "will restore health" and heal
her wounds (Jer. 30:17).

The sin of Samaria "is incurable" (Mic. 1:9)-until--
Lord "will restore ... the fortunes of Samaria." (Ez.
16:53).

An Ammonite or Moabite is forbidden to enter the
Lord's congregation "forever"-until--the tenth
generation (Deut. 23:3):

Habakkuk tells us of mountains that were
"everlasting", that is -until-- they "were shattered"
Hab. 3 3:6).

The Aaronic Priesthood was to be an "everlasting"
priesthood (Ex. 40:15), that is-until-it was
superseded by the Melchizedek Priesthood (Hebrews
7:14-18).

Many translations of the Bible inform us that God
would dwell in Solomon's Temple "forever" (1 Kings
8:13), that is,--until the Temple was destroyed.

The Law of Moses was to be an "everlasting covenant"
(Leviticus 24:8) yet we read in the New Covenant the
first was "done away" and "abolished" (2 Corinthians
3:11,13), and God "made the first old" (Hebrews 8:13).

God's waves of wrath roll over Jonah
"forever"-until--the Lord delivers him from the large
fish's belly on the third day (Jonah 2:6,10; 1: 17);

Egypt and Elam will "rise no more" (Jer.
25:27)-until--the Lord will "restore the fortunes of
Egypt" (Ez. 29:14) and "restore the fortunes of Elam"
(Jer. 49:39).

"Moab is destroyed" (Jer. 48:4, 42)-until--the Lord
"will restore the fortunes of Moab" (Jer. 48:47)
Israel's judgment lasts "forever"-until--the Spirit is
poured out and God restores it (Isa. 32:13-15).

So, narrow is the way to life and few find it-until--
His church confiscates the "strong man's" booty,
setting the captives free so God becomes all in all
(Isa. 61, Luke 11:21-22, Matt. 7:13; 16:18, 1 Cor.
15:24-28).

The King James Bible, as well as many others, tells us
that a bond slave was to serve his master "forever"
(Exodus 21:6), that is,--until--his death.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
So we can look forward to seeing Hitler, Mao, Lincoln, and other mass murderers in heaven?

Yes, because on their deathbed they finally cried out to God for forgiveness and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior. So God was forced against His will to turn a blind eye to their prior decades of murdering millions of innocent women and children and forgive them (remember He felt like throwing up over these degenerates as much as you or me)----simply because His servant, Paul tied God's hands with his ridiculous pronouncement, "For by grace are you saved, not by deeds."

With that one phrase Paul turned Christianity on its head, reversing everything Jesus had preached about doing good works for salvation. And why? It was a total sellout to try to convert as many heathens as Paul could attract with whatever lies he could tell to get them.

"If I lie for the sake of the gospel or if I am dishonest why is it held against me if souls are won to Christ as a result of my lies????"

Paul evidently had no shame.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:58 PM

Question Will Hitler go to Heaven?

RESPONSES TO PHILISOPHICAL ARGUMENTS AGAINST UNIVERSAL SALVATION

Quick Find: Links to Information on Hell and Universal Salvation
Quick Find: Links to Information on Hell and Universal Salvation

Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 AM

Since Satan will be saved, Hitler etc. will be no problem for God.

I believe that the reconciliation of Satan will be the greatest manifestation of God’s grace in action among the celestials.
https://www.godfire.net/eby/reconcilehvns.html

“God delights to reconcile all, whether those on the earth, or those in the heavens (Col. 1:20). Therefore there is no more reason to suppose that Satan is not included therein than that any other certain creature is not included therein. Therefore it must be that that notable creature who had rightly long been termed “the Adversary,” is very much included in the reconciliation of the universe, at which time this title (“Adversary” or “Satan”) necessarily will no longer apply, since he will be reconciled and be at peace.” (end quote)
Jim Coram, UNSEARCHABLE RICHES, March 2005.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, because on their deathbed they finally cried out to God for forgiveness and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior. So God was forced against His will to turn a blind eye to their prior decades of murdering millions of innocent women and children and forgive them (remember He felt like throwing up over these degenerates as much as you or me)----simply because His servant, Paul tied God's hands with his ridiculous pronouncement, "For by grace are you saved, not by deeds."

With that one phrase Paul turned Christianity on its head, reversing everything Jesus had preached about doing good works for salvation. And why? It was a total sellout to try to convert as many heathens as Paul could attract with whatever lies he could tell to get them.
That is just not true.

Quote:
"If I lie for the sake of the gospel or if I am dishonest why is it held against me if souls are won to Christ as a result of my lies????"

You put that in quotes. Where in the bible did Paul actually say that as you quoted it? Or are you the one propounding a lie?

Old 03-25-2016, 06:32 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

...Huh?! ...Chapter and Verse please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity