Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Quote:

Consider for example the story of Elijah calling down fire from heaven as proof that he was on God's side. Elijah declares, “If I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then fire fell from heaven and consumed the captain and his men (2 Kings 1: 10).

Hoping to follow Elijah’s example, James and John ask Jesus in response to opposition they were experiencing, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” (Luke 9: 54–55). Perhaps that was why they got their nickname “the sons of thunder.”

Luke tells us that the response of Jesus was not to affirm this narrative, but to sternly rebuke his disciples. In that rebuke of Jesus is an implicit yet clear rejection of the way of Elijah as well. Later manuscripts include the response of Jesus, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them” (Luke 9: 55–56). 22 In other words, Jesus is essentially saying that the way of Elijah is not of God, but instead belongs to the spirit of the one who seeks to destroy, that is, of the devil.

While Elijah claimed that his actions proved he was a “man of God,” this passage in Luke’s Gospel makes the opposite claim: The true “man of God” incarnate had not come to obliterate life, but to save, heal, and restore it (Luke 19: 10 & John 3: 17).

Jesus not only recognizes this himself as the Son of God, but rebukes James and John for not having come to this conclusion on their own. In other words, Jesus expects his disciples—expects you and me—to be making these same calls of knowing what to embrace in the Bible and what to reject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
How does this not penetrate our minds when we are convinced that everything in the OT is a true representation of the nature of God, I don't know. I just don't understand how I could NOT see this during all my years as a "bible-believer", and could not see what it implied about all the other OT passages that did not have a spirit that was in harmony with the spirit of love and life and light.
Luke 9:28-36
About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, "Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."

While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud.
A voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen, listen to him."

What is also noteworthy is: When the voice had spoken, they found that Jesus was alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 05:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, "Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."

While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud.
A voice came from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen, listen to him."

What is also noteworthy is: When the voice had spoken, they found that Jesus was alone.

Seeing doves are you?

Three times a yr?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:

So... Fear. A need to control what we don't fully understand, and keep it in a manageable state, one that is on our human level. If God doesn't have human characteristics and psychological flaws just like we do, then God appears unapproachable to us.

Am I reading you right, Jer?

Old 09-06-2017, 06:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

Quote:
So... Fear. A need to control what we don't fully understand, and keep it in a manageable state, one that is on our human level. If God doesn't have human characteristics and psychological flaws just like we do, then God appears unapproachable to us.

Am I reading you right, Jer?
Some people live in fear their whole lives.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:

What's noteworthy is, the disciples recognized the Feast of Tabernacles and you don't. Peace

Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Derek Flood, Disarming Scripture: Cherry-Picking Liberals, Violence-Loving Conservatives, and Why We All Need to Learn to Read the Bible Like Jesus Did; Chapter Three
Are you ok?????

Old 09-06-2017, 07:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Are you ok?????
Pin, what makes you think something is wrong?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Well, it IS a long involved book title....

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
What's noteworthy is, the disciples recognized the Feast of Tabernacles and you don't. Peace
Hey, the severance is painfull.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
To ask. Are you ok?

You typically expect. Yes or No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity