Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 11:44 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus said He did not come to abolish the Law because He knew the fundamentalist Pharisees were looking to kill Him. No quicker way to do that than say "I am come to destroy the Law."

Yet six times in the following verses He absolutely destroyed the WRITTEN Law with His "But I say unto you" statements. Every single one of them contradicted long understood points of the Law. And there is no possible defense using Scripture alone. Instead fundamentalists invent fictional stories to "explain" away what Jesus said in order to maintain a genocidal god that is more suited to what lies in their hearts.

Scripture provides no wisdom unless one brings wisdom to it. Mark 12:30 says to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your MIND, and all your strength.

Fundamentalists, however, constantly eschew the part about the mind as they are set on never developing it in a scholarly biblical manner. Proving beyond doubt that, like those Pharisees, once it is on paper, their minds are useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cid911 View Post
The only visible way to show that you love god, is to follow is commandments. You can’t say I love god and practice homosexuality, if you are homosexual and stop doing homosexual activities then you can prove that you love god, and the same can be said about liars, adulteress, fornicators, sabbath breakers, idol worshipers etc. at gods eyes they all fall short. And the worst of all, people who twist the scriptures, and teach people to do immoral things.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cid911 View Post
The only visible way to show that you love god, is ...
Ah, yes, the visible...I'm so glad I know the invisible way inside; communing, giving up
any trace of ego inside, (talk about moving mountains), to open myself to Him, for Him....'Him"...
no rules, no ink, ...just "Him".
It's like the difference of my little boy not reaching into the cookie jar..or rushing to me to
hold and squeeze me not letting go.
Or a spouse having the house all clean for you instead of giving himself/herself to you the second
you walk in the door.
I know which I prefer in each case.
It's the mature offering of intimate love compared to
doing what you are told...clean your room , write that thank you
note to Grandma..."Yes, Ma'am!"

But, this may be interpreted by many as me saying don't clean your room...missing the point.
Pls, get the delicacy of the different expressions of love.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ah, yes, the visible...I'm so glad I know the invisible way inside; communing, giving up
any trace of ego inside, (talk about moving mountains), to open myself to Him, for Him....'Him"...
no rules, no ink, ...just "Him".
It's like the difference of my little boy not reaching into the cookie jar..or rushing to me to
hold and squeeze me not letting go.
Or a spouse having the house all clean for you instead of giving himself/herself to you the second
you walk in the door.
I know which I prefer in each case.
It's the mature offering of intimate love compared to
doing what you are told...clean your room , write that thank you
note to Grandma..."Yes, Ma'am!"

But, this may be interpreted by many as me saying don't clean your room...missing the point.
Good morning.
I doubt anyone could misunderstand your post miss h. Though I have read a few odd things here.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Quote:
Consider for example the story of Elijah calling down fire from heaven as proof that he was on God's side. Elijah declares, “If I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then fire fell from heaven and consumed the captain and his men (2 Kings 1: 10).

Hoping to follow Elijah’s example, James and John ask Jesus in response to opposition they were experiencing, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” (Luke 9: 54–55). Perhaps that was why they got their nickname “the sons of thunder.”

Luke tells us that the response of Jesus was not to affirm this narrative, but to sternly rebuke his disciples. In that rebuke of Jesus is an implicit yet clear rejection of the way of Elijah as well. Later manuscripts include the response of Jesus, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them” (Luke 9: 55–56). 22 In other words, Jesus is essentially saying that the way of Elijah is not of God, but instead belongs to the spirit of the one who seeks to destroy, that is, of the devil.

While Elijah claimed that his actions proved he was a “man of God,” this passage in Luke’s Gospel makes the opposite claim: The true “man of God” incarnate had not come to obliterate life, but to save, heal, and restore it (Luke 19: 10 & John 3: 17).

Jesus not only recognizes this himself as the Son of God, but rebukes James and John for not having come to this conclusion on their own. In other words, Jesus expects his disciples—expects you and me—to be making these same calls of knowing what to embrace in the Bible and what to reject.

Derek Flood, Disarming Scripture: Cherry-Picking Liberals, Violence-Loving Conservatives, and Why We All Need to Learn to Read the Bible Like Jesus Did

How does this not penetrate our minds when we are convinced that everything in the OT is a true representation of the nature of God, I don't know. I just don't understand how I could NOT see this during all my years as a "bible-believer", and could not see what it implied about all the other OT passages that did not have a spirit that was in harmony with the spirit of love and life and light.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
How does this not penetrate our minds when we are convinced that everything in the OT is a true representation of the nature of God, I don't know. I just don't understand how I could NOT see this during all my years as a "bible-believer", and could not see what it implied about all the other OT passages that did not have a spirit that was in harmony with the spirit of love and life and light.
The true "good news" is that you, Warden, pcamps, thrill and many, many others escaped that mental/emotional prison of cognitive dissonance that ensnarls biblical literalists.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Just WOW!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
"Luke tells us that the response of Jesus was not to affirm this narrative, but to sternly rebuke his disciples. In that rebuke of Jesus is an implicit yet clear rejection of the way of Elijah as well. Later manuscripts include the response of Jesus, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them” (Luke 9: 55–56). 22 In other words, Jesus is essentially saying that the way of Elijah is not of God, but instead belongs to the spirit of the one who seeks to destroy, that is, of the devil."
Quote:
Say it again

Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just WOW!
Hep has that impact on me all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The true "good news" is that you, Warden, pcamps, thrill and many, many others escaped that mental/emotional prison of cognitive dissonance that ensnarls biblical literalists.
It has been good news for me. I am wondering what it was that was rendering me incapable of seeing it, though, and what finally triggered me to open my eyes.

My experience was that I was dealing with moderate to severe depression for all those years and my healing from that happened congruently to my escape from fundamentalism. So I'm wondering which was the chicken and which was the egg, or if they were symbiotic. It doesn't matter, I suppose, it's just something I wonder about. All I know for sure is that emotional healing and seeing things in the bible differently went hand in hand.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
I would say mainly because the image we had of God before becoming christians (whether we believed there was a God or not), is how God is often depicted in the OT. So that image must be right??, it could never be those that depicted God that way in the scriptures had the image wrong just like we did, well that is what we have accepted , rather than testing it against the image of God that Jesus Christ portayed. In other words we have been duped into believing the the OT image of God is greater and more sure than the one Jesus Christ portrayed. So basically the only difference being when we become a so called christian, is that image of God we had already concoted was appeased by believing in him, we retained that wrathful anfry image .

So basically the truth is most bible believing christians have carried in to their faith the image they had of God before believing and worse still retained it. The fact that the image we had of God before coming to faith is still retained should be a cause for concern for any of us, but we are asleep to the fact that we did retain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity