Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree, of course. There's a whole lot that Hanni and I are at odds about when it comes to religion, but he's got a good and kind heart and doesn't have the desire to injure anyone. He's explained before in some of his posts that he suffers from some physical brain "imbalances" (paraphrasing here because I don't remember precisely what he's dealing with) and that studying the feasts and such, and then also writing about it, helps him keep on a more even keel, so I try not to argue that with him too much anymore. I don't think he minds the arguing, of course, so I'm not telling anyone else not to. I'm just saying that I do appreciate Hanni for his heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And I would concur, it's the heart that should be our focus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If one's ' heart ' should be our focus then I wonder why Jeremiah 17:9 wrote the heart is treacherous.
Any thoughts about Matthew 15:19 ______

Our heart is treacherous because it can act like a 'traito'r within us.
The heart urges us to do something, then after we have done it, the heart gives us all the reasons why we should Not have done what we just did in the first place.
That is why you should guard your heart from being under the influence of others.
It is not what goes in that defiles you, it's what you act upon that's important.

An example would be that of hating your brother, sister, mother, father or neighbor.
Remember, we are not called to hate, rather we are to be forgiving of one-another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post

Have any of you read the bible in it's entirety? If you have, what did you take from it?
Yes, I read the Bible fully once. It was difficult at time but having a easier translation like the New American Standard Bible helped me a lot. The experience built my faith a lot. I definitely have a high faith in the Word of God now. I like you wanted to read other texts like the Quran or Vedas, but after reading the Bible, I'm done. He is all I need.

Thanks for asking!

I'm a regular church goer and I've helped introduce the faith to my two daughters who are now saved and baptized. I also volunteer at events where dozens of people are saved. I am doing my best to live out His commandments to love God and love others.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I am doing my best to live out His commandments to love God and love others.
I believe if given a choice most would love others, unless that other person was abusing them or their children.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
The 1st-century Christians 'did have' the old Hebrew Scriptures read at the synagogues.
Jesus explained or tied the old in with the new for them and us.

Those who died before Jesus are ' saved ' from death via resurrection, then those who never had the opportunity to hear or learn about Jesus will have that opportunity to gain ' everlasting life on Earth ' after they are resurrected during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.- Rev. 1:18

Because Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is proclaimed on an international scale today, people are told they have the choice found at 2nd Peter 3:9 to ' repent ' if they do not wish to ' perish ' ( be destroyed ).
So, living people on Earth at the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 have the opportunity to now choose to be a figurative humble ' sheep ' or be a haughty ' goat '.
There wouldn't be an OT in our Bible EXCEPT for what happened after the resurrection. No Bible was available for any first century Christian. They had stories of the resurrection and they had Pentecost. Thousands became believers without EVER picking up a Bible or quoting a Bible verse. And those early gospels referred to the OT and that made it important. Ninety percent or more of people couldn't read. They were illiterate. So the Synagogues were basically where an educated clergy TOLD people what it said and meant. Guess what---the entire Protestant Reformation arose out of that very problem.

Christianity doesn't exist because of the Bible, it's the other way around.

In these current days the Bible has become the focus of modern day Pharisees who are forever quoting it in order to justify being hateful toward their fellow men and women.

Listen to what a "reasonable" conservative, Andy Stanley (son of Charles Stanley), has to say about HOW the Bible has become an impediment to Christianity.

The B I B L E, yes that's the book for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRp2-AeYs9A

If you don't know the story OF the Bible, it becomes easy to disbelieve the stories IN the Bible.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:21 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
The 1st-century Christians 'did have' the old Hebrew Scriptures read at the synagogues.
Jesus explained or tied the old in with the new for them and us.

Those who died before Jesus are ' saved ' from death via resurrection, then those who never had the opportunity to hear or learn about Jesus will have that opportunity to gain ' everlasting life on Earth ' after they are resurrected during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.- Rev. 1:18

Because Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is proclaimed on an international scale today, people are told they have the choice found at 2nd Peter 3:9 to ' repent ' if they do not wish to ' perish ' ( be destroyed ).
So, living people on Earth at the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 have the opportunity to now choose to be a figurative humble ' sheep ' or be a haughty ' goat '.
Matthew 24 is the same thing as Matthew 25, Matthew 25 begins,'' And then the kingdom of heaven shall be.''

Jesus had been speaking of the kingdom of heaven all through Matthew 24 and 25 as well as he is always speaking of what the kingdom of heaven is, and what Jesus means WITHOUT A DOUBT IS THAT YOU ARE THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

If two women at the wheel are divided and two men in a bed are divided or the goat separated and divided from the sheep, this is of you.

You are the kingdom of heaven, you are the rich man and Lazarus if you choose to live your life according to money, money becomes your priesthood while the name of the priesthood is Lazarus. If you reject Lazarus, you reject the priesthood, and so you are living this trivial life searching for money when you should be searching for God.

You are the kingdom of heaven, EVERY TIME you read the phrase,'' The kingdom of heaven is like,'''........................IT IS SPEAKING OF YOU.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:48 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Yes, I read the Bible fully once. It was difficult at time but having a easier translation like the New American Standard Bible helped me a lot. The experience built my faith a lot. I definitely have a high faith in the Word of God now. I like you wanted to read other texts like the Quran or Vedas, but after reading the Bible, I'm done. He is all I need.

Thanks for asking!

I'm a regular church goer and I've helped introduce the faith to my two daughters who are now saved and baptized. I also volunteer at events where dozens of people are saved. I am doing my best to live out His commandments to love God and love others.

No mortal has the right to tell another-You are saved--They do not know. Jesus teaches--( Matt 10:22)One must endure until their end to be saved. None of living have accomplished that. Endure doing what?? Living now to do Jesus Fathers will( Matthew 7:21) as Jesus does-John 5:30)-- One must disown themselves to follow Jesus( Matthew 16:24)
Few on earth even know the truths he taught. When I show them, they do not believe it even though those teachings are in their bibles to.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
No mortal has the right to tell another-You are saved--They do not know. Jesus teaches--( Matt 10:22)One must endure until their end to be saved. None of living have accomplished that. Endure doing what?? Living now to do Jesus Fathers will( Matthew 7:21) as Jesus does-John 5:30)-- One must disown themselves to follow Jesus( Matthew 16:24)

Few on earth even know the truths he taught. When I show them, they do not believe it even though those teachings are in their bibles to.
You mean like the table of demons that you claim everyone eats from?
Except you and those you fellowship with, whom you call teacher(s)?...

Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
No mortal has the right to tell another-You are saved--They do not know. Jesus teaches--( Matt 10:22)One must endure until their end to be saved. None of living have accomplished that. Endure doing what?? Living now to do Jesus Fathers will( Matthew 7:21) as Jesus does-John 5:30)-- One must disown themselves to follow Jesus( Matthew 16:24).
So, you and your teachers are NOT mortal????

Old 11-03-2018, 03:16 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You mean like the table of demons that you claim everyone eats from?
Except you and those you fellowship with, whom you call teacher(s)?...

The encyclopedias are filled with info on the pagan practices added to the world celebrations. Including Easter and Christmas--By satan and his teachers transforming into angels of light and making things look--good, loving, and sharing. But as long as the pagan things are added. He has won.
Between those things-1Corinthians 6:9-11, Galation' 5:19-21, and all the false god worship- 99% are being mislead, The image of the beast has been made to look good to the mortal heart as well.
All through the bible-99% mislead (except when Israel stood strong--they fell over and over.)
Satan beat 99% now, centuries ago.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:28 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I am Catholic and I am going to read the 66 book Protestant Bible. As you may or may not know the Catholic Bible has additional books.

I have finished reading the first 10 books but have 56 to go until I finish. The Ethiopian bible is the longest of all bibles. The Ethiopian Orthodox bible has 81 books. Someday, I would like the read the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox bible that 50+ million Christians call their Holy Book.

I have recently read the English Quran completely, all 114 chapters. I also have a Hindu Vedas, the Hindu scripture.

Have any of you read the bible in it's entirety? If you have, what did you take from it?

I've read the OT once a year for 30 years. I've read the NT once a month for 33 years. A habit I started after my conversion. I've read it in the KJV, RKJV, NIV and Good News for Modern Man version. I have the additional books of the Catholic Bible, as well as Josephus' works, but I don't regularly read them. I keep them as references.

I've also read the English Quran twice and about half the Hindu scriptures once before I got totally bored out of my mind and set them aside for a rainy day.

What I take from the Bible is that it unique among all the holy books in that it has a historical context. The rest are just books of sage wisdom and spiritual advice.

I've also taken that there are many translations of the Bible, but they do not differ in content or meaning. Only in translation.

My last observation is that very few people actually READ the Bible just once.... and even fewer read it regularly. A lot of denominations would be in trouble if it were otherwise. Especially pretribbers and a few other "special gospel adherents".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity