Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2022, 01:54 PM

4,085 posts, read 872,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
It’s not that I think all the other denominations are all okay or all bad

How I see it is that an ever increasing diversity in Christianity has been set in motion by design

Gen 1:27**So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28**And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Mat 10:34**Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35**For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36**And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37**He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:38**And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:39**He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Luk 4:18**The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19**To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
The diversity in Christ is not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 11:17 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
How so?

Old 09-18-2022, 01:12 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
But Paul says that the design is for there to be diversity in Christ

What can be bad is the way that we express ourselves and relate to others as James says in chapter 3

At the end of the day it is not so much the various doctrinal, external, physical differences and diversity that is necessarily bad, a lot of the time it is misunderstanding and misinterpretation and difference of opinion

Jesus also tells us this type of thing when he tells His disciples about the fruit from trees

Jimmy put this quote in the quotes thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
“I do not ask you whether you are a Wesleyan, a Baptist, or a Presbyterian: my only question is, are you born again?" -CH Spurgeon
And we now have many, many more branches in the Christianity tree

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-18-2022 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-18-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
How so?
God wants us to be like-minded.

Old 09-18-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
So we can see how isn't really saved.

Quote:
What can be bad is the way that we express ourselves and relate to others as James says in chapter 3
What's that?

Quote:

At the end of the day it is not so much the various doctrinal, external, physical differences and diversity that is necessarily bad, a lot of the time it is misunderstanding and misinterpretation and difference of opinion

Jesus also tells us this type of thing when he tells His disciples about the fruit from trees
Physical differences?

The truth matters and there aren't different truth's of God.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:41 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
So we can see how isn't really saved.
What's that?
Physical differences?
The truth matters and there aren't different truth's of God.
No, there are no different truths but there are many different tasks and roles. But since God is Spirit, they ALL have the SAME SPIRIT - His Holy Spirit - and as Jesus Divinely revealed it does NOT contain wrath or vengeance or any of the negative things. That is why we are told NOT to have any wrath or vengeance in us. We are to have the same Spirit as in the "mind of Christ." As a reminder, here it is again:

Philippians 2:5-30 King James Version
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

This is NOT rocket science. If you want to be guided by the Holy Spirit you MUST be in those states of mind that are associated with the Holy Spirit and NOTHING OPPOSITE or incompatible with Him!!!

Old 09-18-2022, 05:01 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
I didn't say it like that, and you shouldn't say I did.
You’ve called every church false. You’ve repeatedly written that none teaches truth. You said that is why you don’t assemble with any. Go back and read your posts.

Quote:
That was a group that all lived together as in a commune.
No Scripture says that. They lived in a community of both believers and unbelievers. They did not live separately.

Quote:
That scripture does not say it is a sin to stop meeting. That scripture also says to meet to exhort others who are in sin and to throw them out if they are sinning. Is your church doing that? I know of no denomination that does that.
Yes it does. Read it again. Hebrews 10:24ff. We are commanded to not neglect the assembling of ourselves together. The very next verse says if we sin willfully there remains no sacrifice. Disobeying the command to assemble is sinning willfully.

Yes, my congregation disfellowships, and we are not a denomination.

Quote:
The churches were in homes and nowhere does the scripture say to pay for big buildings and electricity, etc, just to meet together.
They also met in the courts of the temple. God told Moses to have a fund raising campaign so the tabernacle could be built, a place where God’s people could worship. There is nothing in all of Scripture that says church buildings are wrong. I agree that monies should be used wisely and there is no reason to build magnificent buildings.

Quote:
What? I know there is only one God. You don't know enough about what I believe to say things like that. You think I am wrong about things and you are letting it be known. You find anything wrong with that? I can prove to you with scripture my beliefs and we can debate to find the truth and be glad for it.
I know what you’ve written. You do not believe that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the one true God. I don’t use the term “trinity” because it is not found in Scripture, but there is a huge amount of evidence in the Bible that shows us that our God is triune, three persons in one God.

Quote:
hahahaha We weren't debating that yet. Did you make the thread for it? I will show you with scripture the truth about water baptism and when someone can receive the Holy Spirit.
You have repeatedly said that churches who teach baptism precedes the gift of the Holy Spirit are false teachers. I gave you examples that show baptism precedes forgiveness of sins, the gift of the Holy Spirit and salvation.

Quote:
I was baptized at 2 months old in the Catholic church and in the Mormon church as an adult before I was saved. After I was saved I was baptized again. Do you really want to count my baptisms in false denominations as acceptable baptisms? .
I would even baptize myself if I knew no one to baptize me. I would baptize myself in any body of water I had access to, even in my bathtub in my home. Cornelius and his whole household were baptized in their house, and the jailer and his household were baptized in their house. If they weren’t baptized in their wash room then where in their house were they water baptized? Acts 16:32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.
Salvation does not precede baptism. Cornelius was given the ability to speak in tongues in order to show Peter that the Gentiles could now be saved. If speaking in tongues means salvation, then even the little donkey in Numbers was saved because it spoke in tongues. Cornelius needed to be baptized like everyone else.

It doesn’t matter where people are baptized. The eunuch was baptized in a body of water. Jesus and many others were baptized in the Jordan River.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:11 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:

Jimmy put this quote in the quotes thread

And we now have many, many more branches in the Christianity tree
Jesus gave us a certain amount of leeway (Romans 14), but there is stilli only one truth. We cannot contradict a command of God.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:21 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Jesus gave us a certain amount of leeway (Romans 14), but there is stilli only one truth. We cannot contradict a command of God.
I think we are on the same page that there is only one truth and that we do have a certain amount of leeway

Old 09-18-2022, 05:58 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
You’ve called every church false. You’ve repeatedly written that none teaches truth. You said that is why you don’t assemble with any. Go back and read your posts.

No Scripture says that. They lived in a community of both believers and unbelievers. They did not live separately.

Yes it does. Read it again. Hebrews 10:24ff. We are commanded to not neglect the assembling of ourselves together. The very next verse says if we sin willfully there remains no sacrifice. Disobeying the command to assemble is sinning willfully.

Yes, my congregation disfellowships, and we are not a denomination.

They also met in the courts of the temple. God told Moses to have a fund raising campaign so the tabernacle could be built, a place where God’s people could worship. There is nothing in all of Scripture that says church buildings are wrong. I agree that monies should be used wisely and there is no reason to build magnificent buildings.

I know what you’ve written. You do not believe that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the one true God. I don’t use the term “trinity” because it is not found in Scripture, but there is a huge amount of evidence in the Bible that shows us that our God is triune, three persons in one God.

You have repeatedly said that churches who teach baptism precedes the gift of the Holy Spirit are false teachers. I gave you examples that show baptism precedes forgiveness of sins, the gift of the Holy Spirit and salvation.

Salvation does not precede baptism. Cornelius was given the ability to speak in tongues in order to show Peter that the Gentiles could now be saved. If speaking in tongues means salvation, then even the little donkey in Numbers was saved because it spoke in tongues. Cornelius needed to be baptized like everyone else.

It doesn’t matter where people are baptized. The eunuch was baptized in a body of water. Jesus and many others were baptized in the Jordan River.
Salvationp precedes everything because what we do or do not do has NOTHING to do with our salvation. That was accomplished by Jesus, period. We either take full advantage of it by following His instructions to love God and each other every day and repent when we fail, or we do not. Either way, we are "saved as by fire" by what Jesus did.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-18-2022 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity