Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 07:02 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
You might have been thinking that but it has nothing to do with what Meerkat was talking about, and that is whom I replied to.

This is what Meerkat said:

"It’s not that I think all the other denominations are all okay or all bad

How I see it is that an ever increasing diversity in Christianity has been set in motion by design

Gen 1:27**So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28**And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Mat 10:34**Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35**For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36**And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37**He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:38**And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:39**He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Luk 4:18**The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19**To preach the acceptable year of the Lord."
Honestly, I didn't read the whole thread.

Nevertheless, I think our Good Lord is more interested in the individuals place within the Body of Christ, than denominations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 07:15 AM

344 posts, read 144,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Jesus gave the Holy Spirit to them that obey Him, thats why they obeyed Him because He gave them the Holy Spirit which brings them to obedience 1 Pet 1:2

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

You see the order, first sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience ! So thats what Acts 5:32 is saying.

And of course those who do not obey the Gospel is because Christ never died for them, nor did He ever give them His Spirit to cause their obedience, so they must suffer the consequences.
This makes no sense. In Scripture it says Christ died for all men. What part of all do you not understand?
2Co 5:15* And that he died for all

I could go on for days but why? Believe what ever you want, maybe the word all means something different to you, good luck to you sir.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:05 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,171,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
This makes no sense. In Scripture it says Christ died for all men. What part of all do you not understand?
2Co 5:15* And that he died for all

I could go on for days but why? Believe what ever you want, maybe the word all means something different to you, good luck to you sir.
It makes plenty of sense, without the Spirit given by Christ, making us alive and new creature, we are liken unto the children of disobedience and will never obey. The only way not to be a child of disobience is by having been born again and given a Spirit that causes obedience. See the children of disobedience are controlled by a spirit Eph 2:2

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Old 09-19-2022, 09:04 AM

4,085 posts, read 872,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I don’t have time to go through all of your posts and the things you’ve said. I’ll leave it at that.
Another undesirable trait of yours. You want me to go through yours though.

Quote:
The Bible nowhere equates speaking in tongues with salvation.
Of course it does.

The Holy Spirit was given to Cornelius and his household as it was given to the Apostles at Pentecost.

Read these scriptures, it is Peter speaking about Cornelius and his whole household.

Acts 11:15“As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. 16Then I remembered what the Lord had said: ‘John baptized with a water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?”

Did you read that?

Peter remembered how the Lord said they would be BAPTIZED with the Holy Spirit.

Being baptized with the Holy Spirit is when we are put in the Lord and the Lord put in us.

Quote:

On the Day of Pentecost three thousand people believed the gospel message. Yet there is no indication that any of them spoke in tongues. This is true with every conversion recorded in the Book of Acts.
Not everyone spoke in tongues.
You are trying to turn this into a tongues discussion. Stay focused.

Quote:
In the case of Cornelius, his speaking in tongues was not to show he’d been saved.
It did show that they received the Holy Spirit.

Just think how important that was to the Jews to know that the Gentiles enemies who wouldn't come into the old covenant with God and get circumcised and do the other purification works are now able to get saved like the Jews.

Quote:

The Scriptures say no such thing. You are reading salvation into the narrative. It is not there. Salvation is not mentioned.
You are being stubborn against the Word of God.

Being baptized with the Holy Spirit is about being saved.

No baptized with the Holy Spirit then you don't belong to Christ.

Speaking in tongues was a gift and sign given for the Jews, but not all had that gift, but those who did get speaking in tongues were definitely baptized with the Holy Spirit and that means saved/salvation.

Quote:
We are told specifically why Cornelius spoke in tongues. It was a sign of his belief. It served to show Peter and the others that God now accepted the Gentiles. Cornelius experienced baptism with the Holy Spirit just as Peter and the other Apostles did at the beginning (on the day of Pentecost). This is why Peter said, “Who was I that I could withstand God?”

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?” (Acts 11:15)
A person has to be baptized with the Holy Spirit to be saved. However speaking in tongues is not always given.

You are having a hard time with this because you are listening only to the teachings of your chosen denomination and not the Word of God.

Quote:

The Cornelius story is unique and should not be used as God’s alternative plan of salvation. Jesus told us what we must do in Mark 16:15-16 and Matthew 28:18-20. He never commanded us to be baptized with the Holy Spirit to be saved.

It isn't an alternative plan of salvation. Maybe you will be open to the truth if you weren't so offended and defensive for your congregation's teachings.

Quote:

I stand by Hebrews 10:24-26. Assembling is a command. We are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. Paul immediately follows with the words, “For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.”
That is what Paul said AFTER he said we are to meet so we can exhort people when we meet---

Paul was saying that when we meet to warn people about not sinning so that they don't lose their salvation.

It is about not living in sin it is not about meeting.

Quote:
24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. 26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Why don’t you assemble?
There are no more churches as there were in the New Testament times and denominations teach falseness, just like you are doing, even now about when a person is saved as is evident by receiving the Holy Spirit, and how you are doing when you say it is a sin not to assemble.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Honestly, I didn't read the whole thread.

Nevertheless, I think our Good Lord is more interested in the individuals place within the Body of Christ, than denominations.
Denominations teach falseness and that is not acceptable. That is the point of it really.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:44 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Denominations teach falseness and that is not acceptable. That is the point of it really.
And there it is! You’ve made it clear that all denominations teach false. I would like for you to tell us who teaches truth?

Old 09-19-2022, 10:04 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Another undesirable trait of yours. You want me to go through yours though.

Of course it does.

The Holy Spirit was given to Cornelius and his household as it was given to the Apostles at Pentecost.

Read these scriptures, it is Peter speaking about Cornelius and his whole household.

Acts 11:15“As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. 16Then I remembered what the Lord had said: ‘John baptized with a water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?”

Did you read that?

Peter remembered how the Lord said they would be BAPTIZED with the Holy Spirit.

Being baptized with the Holy Spirit is when we are put in the Lord and the Lord put in us.

Not everyone spoke in tongues.
You are trying to turn this into a tongues discussion. Stay focused.

It did show that they received the Holy Spirit.

Just think how important that was to the Jews to know that the Gentiles enemies who wouldn't come into the old covenant with God and get circumcised and do the other purification works are now able to get saved like the Jews.

You are being stubborn against the Word of God.

Being baptized with the Holy Spirit is about being saved.

No baptized with the Holy Spirit then you don't belong to Christ.

Speaking in tongues was a gift and sign given for the Jews, but not all had that gift, but those who did get speaking in tongues were definitely baptized with the Holy Spirit and that means saved/salvation.

A person has to be baptized with the Holy Spirit to be saved. However speaking in tongues is not always given.

You are having a hard time with this because you are listening only to the teachings of your chosen denomination and not the Word of God.

It isn't an alternative plan of salvation. Maybe you will be open to the truth if you weren't so offended and defensive for your congregation's teachings.

That is what Paul said AFTER he said we are to meet so we can exhort people when we meet---

Paul was saying that when we meet to warn people about not sinning so that they don't lose their salvation.

It is about not living in sin it is not about meeting.

There are no more churches as there were in the New Testament times and denominations teach falseness, just like you are doing, even now about when a person is saved as is evident by receiving the Holy Spirit, and how you are doing when you say it is a sin not to assemble.
Do you understand that when you say CHURCH, you are referring to the body of Christ? That’s what church is. It’s not a building with a sign out front that has a name. You are saying there is no BODY OF CHRIST today.

Baptism with the Holy Spirit was not for salvation. It was the outpouring of spiritual gifts. There are only two occurrences of baptism with the Holy Spirit in the New Testament: the Apostles on Pentecost and at the house of Cornelius. Are you suggesting Peter was saved on Pentecost because he spoke in tongues?

Salvation occurs when we are born again of water and of the Spirit.

Two completely different events.

Read Paul’s letter to Titus, Chapter 3

4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

This is speaking of immersion in water. Our sins are washed away when we are immersed. Even the great Apostle Paul was told, “And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’(Acts 22:16)

The only way to receive forgiveness is through baptism. And without having your sins washed away by the blood of Jesus at baptism, you will not be saved.

You can deny that not assembling is a sin all you want. I gave you the passage from Hebrews, which you could not refute. In fact, you’ve refused to even discuss it. So let’s see you prove the Passage false.

Last edited by MissKate12; 09-19-2022 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-19-2022, 10:13 AM

923 posts, read 238,045 times
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit was only for the Apostles and the few they laid their hands on. “And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,” Acts 8:18 (KJV 1900)

Those who received the Baptism could perform the signs and wonders of the Apostles. But they could not pass the gift on to others.

The Baptism ended with the Apostles. But since Pentecost, all believers have the gift of the Holy Spirit and His fullness that comes through repentance.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
And there it is! You’ve made it clear that all denominations teach false. I would like for you to tell us who teaches truth?
Jesus is not a denomination. Jesus teaches the truth.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:03 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Are you ‘in Christ?”

How do you know?

How did you get “in Christ?”

Opinions are meaningless. Scriptures please!
Why is my opinion meaningless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity