Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
He would be spiritually saved, but not welcomed into the coming Kingdom. Entrance into the Kingdom (the salvation of the soul) is based upon our works in the flesh. Whether or not we're saved spiritually, depends solely upon "believe (once) upon the Lord Jesus".
I asked you about this below and I did'nt ever see an answer, maybe you missed it.

Would you care to explain yourself using scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
I don't understand the reasoning behind saying asking Jesus into our heart will save 'us' and then turning around and quoting a scripture aboout obeying Him ??? Where does a scripture say that "obeying" is just "asking Jesus into our hearts" ?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
I asked you about this below and I did'nt ever see an answer, maybe you missed it.

Would you care to explain yourself using scripture?
I actually have two or three lengthy replies to make(one to this subject and one to the claims of a so-called spiritual Kingdom, and something else that I will have to look up again), but I have been putting in 16 hour days last week and this week, and only taking a few minutes in my shop to read and make short replies when I take a break. I will try to make a reply to this subject tonight, but if not, it will be Saturday evening (my time) before I can.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
Quote:
I actually have two or three lengthy replies to make(one to this subject and one to the claims of a so-called spiritual Kingdom, and something else that I will have to look up again), but I have been putting in 16 hour days last week and this week, and only taking a few minutes in my shop to read and make short replies when I take a break. I will try to make a reply to this subject tonight, but if not, it will be Saturday evening (my time) before I can.

No problem, take your time

Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
people rely on the concept of "being saved" as a way to excuse unacceptable behavior. That oh I'm ok I go to church on Sunday approach top religion. Being righteous is not something that happens once and your done. It is a lifelong voyage. We have things in our life to challenge us and make us grow towards a more spiritual life. We of course have free will and can make other choices, the the end of the road is always leading to God, no matter how many turns or twist the road takes.
Do not fall into a false belief that religion is a one experience event. it is a lifetime of events that will lead you to spiritual fulfillment.
Talk is cheap action is where it matters. Do you walk the talk?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Are "you" there yet?

Now the Spirit expressly says that in the latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron..... (1 Tim. 4: 1-5)

If we all were to be "once save, and always saved", why do you think it was necessary for us to be warned in advance of things to come? For a time such as this?

NONE of us are there yet!
We all ought to be falling on our face and crying out to God a million times a day if possible. We are to abide/stay within His presence everyday until He comes or take us out of here. This is not a walk that we can abandon at will; this is your walk, for life. I'm not saying anyone is perfect, for none of us are, but we are to ask for forgiveness and mercy everyday. Today is the day of salvation! Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. So I ask you, to ask yourselves: Are You There Yet? (answer carefully).

Love always, your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Are "you" there yet?

Now the Spirit expressly says that in the latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron..... (1 Tim. 4: 1-5)

If we all were to be "once save, and always saved", why do you think it was necessary for us to be warned in advance of things to come? For a time such as this?

NONE of us are there yet!
We all ought to be falling on our face and crying out to God a million times a day if possible. We are to abide/stay within His presence everyday until He comes or take us out of here. This is not a walk that we can abandon at will; this is your walk, for life. I'm not saying anyone is perfect, for none of us are, but we are to ask for forgiveness and mercy everyday. Today is the day of salvation! Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. So I ask you, to ask yourselves: Are You There Yet? (answer carefully).

Love always, your sister in Christ Jesus
I sometimes read a post, and KNOW the Truth when I read it. This post says it all. It wasn't Betsy Lane saying it, for sure. If people don't think God speaks through people, they are assuredly mistaken. It reminded me of the time Jesus tells this woman.

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee: GO, and SIN NO MORE!"

Was this a command that she was now whole, and she could now live her life how she chose to, even in sin and rebellion against God Almighty? NO! It was a command for a life of repentance against sin.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I'm a once saved always saved...I believe that when God writes us in the book of life that he does not have an eraser. `The Bible does talk about the unpardonable sin which I have always learned is rejecting Christ. I have also believed that if someone worships Satan that God's spirit could not coexist with that spirit. But we all sin and continue to do so even after we have given ourselves over to Christ. Paul says, "if we say we have no sin the truth is not with us." When we sin we are not losing our salvation we lose our fellowship with God. We need only to repent, turn away, from our sin and accept his forgiveness and payment for that sin and our fellowship is returned. God is not a God of fear. When he sent sin Son to die on the cross for us it was past, present and future. So at that moment of salvation he already knew the sins you would commit to the end of your life. Our salvation cannot be based on anything we do or it is less than perfect. God does not play with our lives and keep us worrying if we are going to lose our salvation. Otherwise it would be that last buck in the offering plate will save us.

If you could "fall out of fellowship with God" did you ever have it? New covenant (very words of the Lord himself) in Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant(does God break covenant now? or do the false teachings of man make him do so?)after that time (what time?) the time of the completion of the redemptive work of Christ) "I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them in their minds," then he adds "their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." Now, of course, when interpreting scripture, I, as well as everyone else must ask the all-important question. "Am I going to rely on the words of God or yours? "am I going to trust God and take him at his word or am I going to lean to my own false understanding, satan's revelation, and people who claim to be saved yet still fear the possibility of be judged and sent to hell? This is an easy one. What did Jesus say? "And so I tell you,every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men,but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven,either in this age nor in the age to come."(matt 12:31&32) Do we have to worry as believers about "blaspheming the Holy Spirit"? no. Jesus said 'NO one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me." mark 9:39 Placing faith in Christ means that you completely trust him to accomplish and having accomplished all that the word of God said that he has accomplished for you. "Falling out of fellowship with God" is a heretical teaching that absolutely does not represent the truth of God's character and attitude. Does God hate sin? Of course, this is why he sent Jesus to destroy the works of the devil and transform our very lives. But God requires perfection this is why we must trust in Christ as savior and live righteously not by our own efforts, but through faith in the very character of God which rests in us who are his.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I already answered your question, but it isn't what you want to hear. So you want to "debate" now? I'm not going there. Once saved always saved? So you can fall short , back slide, murder, rape, steal, blaspheme then collected your crown and go straight to heaven? Really?

Once again, here is Scripture:

20. For, if after they have escaped the
pollutions of the world through the
knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ, they are again entangled in them
and over come, the latter end is worse for
them than the beginning.

21. For it would have been better for
them to have not known the way of righteous-
ness, than having known it, to turn
from the holy commandment delivered to
them.

22. But it has happened to them accord-
ing to the true proverb: "A dog returns to
his own vomit," and, "a sow, having
washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

2 Peter 2: 20-22

If this isn't scriptural enough for you, I don't know what else would be. It's pretty clear that the Bible holds a standard for each and everyone one of us to follow. We can't pick and choose what we want to believe and forget the rest. God's Words are forever and it never changes. No, not "once" save, "always" save. I have children that when they are disobedient they're punished. And after they are punished, they must go before God before they come to me and ask forgiveness. That's the standard to which I hold my children accountable. Does that mean that I ever stop loving my children? No, but I hold them accountable to God first, then mommy second.

Does that mean that God stop loving us when we fall short? No, But the Bible do say also: He is long-suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. You don't get to collect your crown and advance to heaven because you've been save once. No my friend. If you die in your sin, your reward will be as such. If you die in Christ Jesus , your reward will be as such. Now is the day of salvation. Today, while we are yet breathing. God speed. Hope this helps.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Ok my sister in Christ, let me explain something to you. This is not talking about converted believers. "Who falls short? everyone. 1 sin is falling short. What did Adam do? How many sins did Adam commit? 1 Adam simply disobeyed God. Now how many times have you disobeyed God since your conversion? If you say none, your a arrogant liar,and their is no hope in me trying to persuade you into a complete trust of Christ for salvation. You are making the same mistake Peter made in his revelation of all the creatures when he was hungry in the book of acts. What did God tell him? "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean". Acts10:15

You or I, or anyone else cannot clean ourselves by effort. We are saved by the washing and renewal of the Holy Spirit(read titus please) This happens only when faith in placed in and directed upon Christ. faith in the shed blood and resurrection of Christ saves the soul. The believing person is declared righteous/justified. Now remember if you have been saved you have a"new heart" ezekiel 36. The soul and spirit are divided because the soul while within the flesh will yearn at times for sinful pleasure. However, when the Holy Spirit is within the spirit will lead you into righteousness. This wrestling match causes hypocritical thoughts and behaviors at times. But God the Father already knew this would happen that's why he is gracious and merciful. The key is to brainwash ourselves not with the philosophies of mere men, but with the instructions of new testament scripture. Not to be saved, but because we are saved. That teaching of peter is misunderstood by you and others, here's proof. The bible does not contradict itself. "Praise be to the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that(watch this) can Never perish, spoil, or fade(so much for that false,arrogant self-righteous teaching about "contaminating the spirit)-kept in heaven for you. Listen carefully, "who through faith are Shielded by God's power Until the coming of the salvation at the last time." This is not a temporary salvation if you are saved, its permanent. This is 1peter 1:3-5 ALL the disciples taught this. John even said "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." Isn't the Holy Spirit the spirit of truth? Now alot of people go to Ezekiel 18 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die". Line upon line, what do you get? If the scripture said before Christ "The soul that sinneth, (eth= continues to commit sins) it shall die, but after Christ says "If you say you are without sin you deceive yourself and the truth is not in you, what is this saying? It is saying to be saved you must have faith in the savior. But I cannot change your heart or mind only you can with faith and prayer. In Romans chapter 1 we see a group of people described by Paul as "knowing who God is but not glorifying him as God. This is done when people continue in their own belief system after finding out the truth. It says God gave them over to shameful lusts. It says since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God he gave them over to a depraved mind. Now, do you think these will stop going to church service? Not all of them. If you do not retain the knowledge of God you do not (key word) become a Christian. Have a goodnight.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
He would be spiritually saved, but not welcomed into the coming Kingdom. Entrance into the Kingdom (the salvation of the soul) is based upon our works in the flesh. Whether or not we're saved spiritually, depends solely upon "believe (once) upon the Lord Jesus".

Elgusano Huh????? Obviously you have not been taught by the Holy Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity