Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Jesus came with the most perfect message of love and compassion and look what happened to him.

Even Jesus ruffled some feathers when He was here on earth, so how pray tell can we do different other than the same manner he did it?
I agree, reformed. Not to say that I don't agree with the op, because you are correct also. It is a VERY fine line that we walk as Christians, and I have been guilty in the past of being overbearing and saying things I should not. But that's human nature and should not be confused with the perfection of Jesus.

We have to pray for wisdom and knowledge of when to speak and when to be silent and just listen. There are certain false teachings that really make me angry but arguing is not the answer. Scripture and very carefully chosen words are the answer and then it needs to be left alone.

After all, the ones who want to argue cannot argue if they have no one to argue with!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I agree, reformed. Not to say that I don't agree with the op, because you are correct also. It is a VERY fine line that we walk as Christians, and I have been guilty in the past of being overbearing and saying things I should not. But that's human nature and should not be confused with the perfection of Jesus.

We have to pray for wisdom and knowledge of when to speak and when to be silent and just listen. There are certain false teachings that really make me angry but arguing is not the answer. Scripture and very carefully chosen words are the answer and then it needs to be left alone.

After all, the ones who want to argue cannot argue if they have no one to argue with!
Totally agree with ya, Northsouth....the biggest test is trusting the Holy Spirit in giving one the insight knowing when to speak and when to be silent...and I have found most of the time it is silence...here!
I always ask myself..is there any eternal value in what I'm about to say or do....
Also God's word stands on it own... we (I) don't need to defend it, debate, or even argue over it! It will accomplish that which it was sent forth to do... it never comes back void...
Your last statement is so true and I have said it on many occasions! But some seem to just want too bring contention and discord, sad to say, about everything!!!

Blessings...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Default There is a time and a place

Yes I tend to agree. It is typically not appropriate but sometimes righteous indignation is. Just keep it in context.

Remember John?

Matthew 3
"You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Matthew 23
13"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.[c] 15"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.

Jesus was not simply about fluff.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 10-20-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
[quote=curlythecosmo;5769428]
Quote:

I always ask myself..is there any eternal value in what I'm about to say or do....
Now that's a question that we should all ask ourselves before opening our mouths!!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
The word of God is a two edged sword. The message is not fluff, it is very hard message to hear despite what many people in here like to say, that the message and Jesus is all about love, love, love.

(Matthew 10:34-36)
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law---a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household’”

Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,699,705 times
I was just reading this scripture this morning and I feel it is so important for us to remember....

1Peter 2:21-25
For to this your were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness- by whose strips we are healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

The call to follow Christ often involves a call to suffer for righteousness. The way He bore the suffering of crucifixion is our example in difficult situations. He committed Himself to God who always judges righteously and thus vindicates the innocent. This is "the only solid ground for patience in affliction".

Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Default God's word does not return void...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Totally agree with ya, Northsouth....the biggest test is trusting the Holy Spirit in giving one the insight knowing when to speak and when to be silent...and I have found most of the time it is silence...here!
Also God's word stands on it own... we (I) don't need to defend it, debate, or even argue over it! It will accomplish that which it was sent forth to do... it never comes back void...
Your last statement is so true and I have said it on many occasions! But some seem to just want too bring contention and discord, sad to say, about everything!!!

Blessings...
Praise God...

WHY does it still amaze me after all of these years when He puts a Scripture into my heart and then someone speaks it....???

I almost posted that scripture yesterday in your other Thread...

Isn't it awesome to have the indwelling Holy Spirit in your heart to lead and to guide you?
He is the Friend that is closer than a brother.
He's in our hearts and He wants to bring forth fruit in our lives if we'll only listen and allow Him to...

God's Word does not return void but it will accomplish the thing it was sent forth to do.

God is so good. He's watching over His Word to perform it.

Thank you, Lord!

Amen....

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-20-2008 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM

14,885 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Quote:
Jesus came with the most perfect message of love and compassion and look what happened to him.

Even Jesus ruffled some feathers when He was here on earth, so how pray tell can we do different other than the same manner he did it?
Jesus did ruffle some feathers and He as Lord knows what is in the heart of man. He knew all hearts and could discern true motives, ect. I believe that we have the mind of Christ but we are limited in that we can not see into all hearts as He can. Most of the harsh judgments of the Lord were against the religious leaders of the day, those who were self righteous and condemning without examining themselves. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone, as the Lord said. It seems sometimes to me that we are quick to throw stones at those who may not agree with us on some subjects. We are to address sinful behaviors, what we may believe to be false teaching and I say this, because it is evident we do not as believers agree on all things in the scriptures for many reasons , but this with agape love for the person. We are taught to show consideration for all men, to be compassionate, kind, patient and gentle. Even when the apostle Paul who with the authority God had given him, had to administer discipline within congregations, like for example with the man who had his father's wife, his ultimate goal was to retore the fallen believer.

Quote:
God's Word does not return void but it will accomplish the thing it was sent forth to do.

God is so good. He's watching over His Word to perform it.
Amen. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-20-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

So true. Jesus was the perfect example of love and charity and he even offended many. Sometimes no matter how hard we try we're always going to offened or upset because people who are living or engaging in sinful activity tend to judge people for being judgemental when none was intended simply because the person does not agree with their lifestyle or choices. Eg. Homosexuality being a sin. Proclaiming and believing that in no way is judging the homosexual but because you do not embrace it (and many other worldy things) you are judging of being judgemental.
(don't know if I said that very clear but hope it makes sense )

Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Jesus did ruffle some feathers and He as Lord knows what was in the heart of man. He knew all hearts and could discern true motives, ect. I believe that we have the mind of Christ but we are limited in that we can not see into all hearts as He can. Most of the harsh judgments of the Lord was against the religious leaders of the day, those who were self righteous and condemning without examining themselves. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone, as the Lord said. It seems sometimes to me that we are quick to throw stones at those who may not agree with us on some subjects. We are to address sinful behaviors, what we may believe to be false teaching and I say this, because it is evident we do not as believers agree on all things in the scriptures for many reasons , but this with agape love for the person. We are taught to show consideration for all men, to be compassionate, kind, patient and gentle. Even when the apostle Paul who with the authority God had given him, had to administer discipline within congregations, like for example with the man who had his father's wife, his ultimate goal was to retore the fallen believer.

Amen. God bless.
Excellent post, ShanaB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.