Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
When you use mind-control substance you usually are using them to relieve the problems of the world instead of trusting in God,you are putting the drug first instead of God.
'Mind-control'?

Do you mean like HAARP?

Who is controlling your mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I wouldn't smoke anything because it would damage your lungs. I think pot would be okay for medicinal purposes, but you can eat it, you don't have to smoke it......but if it relieves cancer patients' pain, then yes I think it's okay for them to use it, as long as I didn't smoke it. That's JMHO.

Personally, I steer clear of anything that clouds my thinking processes, but then again, I'm not a cancer patient, thank goodness. I'm sure if I needed it I would use it.

They are fighting for their lives and I certainly wouldn't kick someone when they're down.

I understand your point and I agree with your view that if it helps cancer patients relieve pain, then it should be made available for them to use. I'd take that thought one step farther. There are also many other people suffering from all kinds of severe long term chronic pain. They too should have access to it. I think there are something like 14 states that permit the use for medical purposes, including arthritis, and a number of other unfortunate conditions. If medical marijuana is a viable alternative to heavy medications that are extremely addictive, the choice seems pretty clear. While medical marijuana might not be suitable in every situation, it should be available as an alternative to those who do find it provides relief.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Well unless you live in California where they are about to legalize it then you have your answer to this thread Christians are commanded to obey the law
What about unjust laws? If the law says you may not possess a Bible (this is the case in some countries) would you toss your Bible in the trash?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
What about unjust laws? If the law says you may not possess a Bible (this is the case in some countries) would you toss your Bible in the trash?
'To obey the Authoritys', is often debated.

Is that authority the government? We can all see governments which are evil.

Or is that authority from within the church? We can all see demoninations that differ with each other, all is confusion and some churches do become very controlling.

Is it civil government, or is it our spiritual leadership?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,470 times
Quote:
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. The same Bible also says that women should not teach or preach.

So if we are to interpret the Bible literally, since the Bible says nothing about smoking pot, am I correct in assuming that smoking pot is OK?
I smoke cigarettes . . . Jesus made a BIG sacrifice for me, suffered a brutal brutal death . . .he didn't have too.

My life is a gift, my body, I am told is a temple . . . I'm starting to be convicted the for me "cigarettes" is a sin . . . .

For my friend pork, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. . . is a sin.

I think that God gives each of us wisdom and discernment, and that we should be guided, individually, as to what is sin or not . . . unless the bible clearly states that it is (murder, adultery).

I cannot answer that question, whether pot is a sin or isn't . . . you need to get with God on that one.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Mary Jane Is A Sin......................

Quote:
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. The same Bible also says that women should not teach or preach.

The prohibition against women preacher and teacher ,was to stop them
from unjustly taking authority over the men in the church....now if
women truely couldn't teach or preach GOD couldn't use them to
witness to the unsaved or train their's children in the things of GOD....

So if we are to interpret the Bible literally, since the Bible says nothing about smoking pot, am I correct in assuming that smoking pot is OK?
The BIBLE says time and time again not to be DRUNK...drunk equal
taking something into your system that short circuit your MORAL
SENSE OF WHAT IS RIGHT & WRONG and makes SIN LOOK ATTRACTIVE
TO YOU.... please tell me doesn't that sound like MARY JANE TO YOU...

Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Chemicals That Short Circuit Your Moral Sense Of What Right Or Wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Actually Pharmakeia or pharmaceutica is the use of mind altering chimical for the purpose of mind expansion.

Mary Jane doesn't expamd your mind , it turns off your MORAL Restainst
and allow you to perform immoral acts , if you become drunk off of it.

Alcohol is a drug, so is caffeine and nicotine and not to mention over the counter and prescription drugs. If any sort of use of drugs is sorcery Christ was a sorcerer as he drank along with every person who lived in those times or before those times.

JESUS CHRIST was never drunk off of WINE because he never SINNED
Read Your BIBLE

As a matter of fact watching television or movies has a similar if not an even more drastic and permanent effect on the brain than many drugs do, especially when you consider the dangers of subliminal advertising, and is very addictive.
Not All Television Is Shady Or EVIL And Off The Wall , but you are right
Being Drunk Off Of Bad T.V. Is The Same As Being Drunk With WINE..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The BIBLE says time and time again not to be DRUNK...
I know a very passages where God speaks of 'drunkards'.

Could you please show us a few passages that command us to never be drunk?

I am asking this since it has been brought up a few times.

We all know drunkards, in our culture we call them alcoholics. For their own peace of mind, once they have gained control of their 'issue', they must stay far away from all alcohol.

And we all know that becoming an alcoholic is completely different from sipping a glass of wine with dinner.

So again, could you be so kind to show us which passages you are talking about [that command against drink]?

Quote:
...drunk equal taking something into your system that short circuit your MORAL SENSE OF WHAT IS RIGHT & WRONG and makes SIN LOOK ATTRACTIVE TO YOU....
An interesting diatribe of man-made doctrine.

Again since you are saying that this is derived from the Bible; could you possibly share with us the passages that you feel say: 'drunk equals taking something into your system that short circuit your moral senses'

and 'which makes sin look attractive to you'

Thanks

Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The BIBLE says time and time again not to be DRUNK...drunk equal
taking something into your system that short circuit your MORAL
SENSE OF WHAT IS RIGHT & WRONG and makes SIN LOOK ATTRACTIVE
TO YOU.... please tell me doesn't that sound like MARY JANE TO YOU...

It depends on the reason. If the objective it purely for an amusing sensation, then it might be wrong. But if the purpose is to provide a medical benefit, it's a different matter. Would you feel it's a sin if you are given a pain killer or sedative (that makes you feel woozy) to have dental work done, or you needed to have surgery done, or if you suffered from chronic pain?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM

"Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity