Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I believe that Churches are doing their members a huge disservice by walking on eggshells around this subject. If you read the Bible and believe what it says, we're stewards of our money, but it's not ours. We're told to give a minimum of 10% to God. How you do that is up to you (my personal thoughts), but God knows your heart.

What I keep trying to tell people that I meet is that you will never NEVER meet anyone that is worse off because they tithed 10% of their income. You will never meet someone that wasn't able to make the mortgage because they tithed. You'll never meet anyone that hasn't been richly blessed by tithing.

How does this work? By Faith. Period. If you are tithing, it's because you truly believe that God will watch over you and bless you for your good act.

I hear those that say, "I'll tithe when I can afford it", but I can promise you that if you tithe when you're in financial straits, you'll find your way out MUCH sooner.

Are you going to get a big check in your mailbox? Probably not. Might happen, but doubtful. But your bills may become more affordable. You may get a raise or awarded more hours at your job. You may be able to stretch the food budget a little more. BUT YOU HAVE TO TRUST IN GOD!!!

We don't tithe to beg God for help. We tithe in good times and bad, and God blesses us because of that.

I can honestly say that my business is thriving because I tithe and give God the credit for everything I achieve. I'm in a very tough and cut throat industry right now, and while so many are struggling and going out of business, I'm gaining market share each and every year.

Do I bust my tail to do so? Yep. But lots do and haven't seen the success I have. I work hard, but I'm experiencing what I am in my life because of tithing and trusting God. He's got a plan for each and every one of us, but we have to do our part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I believe that Churches are doing their members a huge disservice by walking on eggshells around this subject. If you read the Bible and believe what it says, we're stewards of our money, but it's not ours. We're told to give a minimum of 10% to God. How you do that is up to you (my personal thoughts), but God knows your heart.

What I keep trying to tell people that I meet is that you will never NEVER meet anyone that is worse off because they tithed 10% of their income. You will never meet someone that wasn't able to make the mortgage because they tithed. You'll never meet anyone that hasn't been richly blessed by tithing.

How does this work? By Faith. Period. If you are tithing, it's because you truly believe that God will watch over you and bless you for your good act.

I hear those that say, "I'll tithe when I can afford it", but I can promise you that if you tithe when you're in financial straits, you'll find your way out MUCH sooner.

Are you going to get a big check in your mailbox? Probably not. Might happen, but doubtful. But your bills may become more affordable. You may get a raise or awarded more hours at your job. You may be able to stretch the food budget a little more. BUT YOU HAVE TO TRUST IN GOD!!!

We don't tithe to beg God for help. We tithe in good times and bad, and God blesses us because of that.

I can honestly say that my business is thriving because I tithe and give God the credit for everything I achieve. I'm in a very tough and cut throat industry right now, and while so many are struggling and going out of business, I'm gaining market share each and every year.

Do I bust my tail to do so? Yep. But lots do and haven't seen the success I have. I work hard, but I'm experiencing what I am in my life because of tithing and trusting God. He's got a plan for each and every one of us, but we have to do our part.
If that is your belief,then that`s fine. There are also a lot of secular businesses that don`t give a hoot about God that are thriving and making millions. Most of the billionaires around the world probably don`t believe in Jesus Christ. Look at some of the men in the middle east who are sitting on oil or rulers in communist countries that are kings. They are not just getting by because they are tithing. God is not concerned with money. Money is an obstacle to your walk with God. You are busting your butt trying to make it or get ahead. Why? So you can eat better food, have more clothes, a bigger house? Why do you need a bigger market share? All the time you spend busting your butt for your business why not spend that extra time studying and meditating on God`s word?
There were a lot of poor men in the bible who were great men of God. Were the apostles rich? Jesus stayed with the poor and downtrodden.
Sell everything you have,including your business and give it all to the poor. Then trust God to take care of you. That is true faith. Not busting your butt trying to get a bigger market share and tithing a little of that money hoping God will give you more money so you can hord it for retirement,get a bigger house,more food,etc. There are people in this world starving everyday,while we eat the best foods,watch our cable tv,all snug and warm in our comfy houses,etc. All the while talking about God blessing us and making us richer while people starve to death. We have no idea about God and how to live our lives.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post

There are people in this world starving everyday,while we eat the best foods,watch our cable tv,all snug and warm in our comfy houses,etc. All the while talking about God blessing us and making us richer while people starve to death. We have no idea about God and how to live our lives.
This is something that I think about a lot. Sitting in my warm pj's, at the computer, tummy full, my cat on my lap, my golden retriever at my feet with a cup of tea....spoiled absolutely wrotten I am.

With our recent purchase of a small cabin on the lake I feel very guilty about this at times. It is however our dream come true and my my husband and I have worked so very hard all of our lives to be able to buy this. It is a lake that we have vacationed at with our children for many years.

When I think about our blessings and when I am sitting on the dock, the stillness of lake, the calling of the Loons, looking at nature around me there is no better place than this for me than to connect to God. While sitting on the dock in September, I remembered something that my dear Father had wished for when he was dying of cancer and he wished to spend some time in the wildnerness, in a small cozy cabin on the lake. Unfortunately, this never actualized.

I have decided that I am going to reach out to families via word of mouth who cannot afford vacations, families who may be struggling with money, health issues or whatever and offer my little cabin on the lake. Offer them some time to spend away from the hectic pace of life, away from their troubles, even if it is just for a short week.

I had read an article not long ago about a lady that offered her cabin to families with very sick children that were terminal and it provided them a place to be together and away from the hospital for a bit. That is kind of the direction I would like to take it.

I choose to tithe in different ways as I do not attend Church any longer. Some days I make sandwiches with my parents and deliver them to the poor, I donate time and money to cancer research and perhaps now I can share my little piece of heaven on the lake.

Note: It really used to annoy me when our pastors family took so many tropical vacations per calendar year and his wife didn't have to work out of the home while we tithed our 10% and I had to work outside of the home with no tropical vacations.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:01 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
This is something that I think about a lot. Sitting in my warm pj's, at the computer, tummy full, my cat on my lap, my golden retriever at my feet with a cup of tea....spoiled absolutely wrotten I am.

With our recent purchase of a small cabin on the lake I feel very guilty about this at times. It is however our dream come true and my my husband and I have worked so very hard all of our lives to be able to buy this. It is a lake that we have vacationed at with our children for many years.

When I think about our blessings and when I am sitting on the dock, the stillness of lake, the calling of the Loons, looking at nature around me there is no better place than this for me than to connect to God. While sitting on the dock in September, I remembered something that my dear Father had wished for when he was dying of cancer and he wished to spend some time in the wildnerness, in a small cozy cabin on the lake. Unfortunately, this never actualized.

I have decided that I am going to reach out to families via word of mouth who cannot afford vacations, families who may be struggling with money, health issues or whatever and offer my little cabin on the lake. Offer them some time to spend away from the hectic pace of life, away from their troubles, even if it is just for a short week.

I had read an article not long ago about a lady that offered her cabin to families with very sick children that were terminal and it provided them a place to be together and away from the hospital for a bit. That is kind of the direction I would like to take it.

I choose to tithe in different ways as I do not attend Church any longer. Some days I make sandwiches with my parents and deliver them to the poor, I donate time and money to cancer research and perhaps now I can share my little piece of heaven on the lake.

Note: It really used to annoy me when our pastors family took so many tropical vacations per calendar year and his wife didn't have to work out of the home while we tithed our 10% and I had to work outside of the home with no tropical vacations.
I don`t exclude myself of having more than I need. We are spoiled in this country and I admit,I am too. It just bothers me when we have so much when others are in such critical need. But yet,we only seem to want more.
Does God really like the way we live. WE (myself included) will have a lot to answer for one day. We all think we are so spiritual and so giving. We talk about how much we love God and how we truly put God first. But few,so very few actually do. As long as we are nice,safe,and warm we just love God. We recite our scriptures and go to our nice warm churches all dressed up with our elaborate sound and video equipment. Then think because the church gives a few dollars to the needed we are such great christians. Few of us have had to do any real suffering in the true sense of the word. It is hard to really let go of material possessions. We make excuses of why we can`t or shouldn`t. I`ve found that some so called christians will tend to get defensive about the subject. Perhaps they feel guilty. They will talk about David being a king and having things or Abraham being rich, God wanting to bless you with material things,etc. While people starve and live without proper clothing or water to drink.
I got to thinking about it the other day when a christian friend of mine had posted pictures on their facebook page of Christmas morning with their little girl. All the presents..it was wall to wall toys and clothes. Pictures of them on vacations and disney on ice, and a slew of other things that we spoil our children with. She had more toys than she could possibly play with. I wondered how many of those toys will end up in the trash in 6 months. I just started thinking how materialistic we really are (me too).
Most of my friends are the same way. They spoil their kids and grandkids but go to church on Sunday and think they are so spiritual. We spend so much time working and trying to make money to get ahead. For what? When is enough enough? Most so called christians are just as materialistic as the world but we convince ourselves we aren`t. God help us.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 AM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
spm62 you are so correct.....if I was ever to witness what I see on TV with the starving children it would really slap me in the face. That is one thing I think I might do again that we have done in the past and sponsor a family....yes....I am glad I have been following this thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
If that is your belief,then that`s fine. There are also a lot of secular businesses that don`t give a hoot about God that are thriving and making millions. Most of the billionaires around the world probably don`t believe in Jesus Christ. Look at some of the men in the middle east who are sitting on oil or rulers in communist countries that are kings. They are not just getting by because they are tithing. God is not concerned with money. Money is an obstacle to your walk with God. You are busting your butt trying to make it or get ahead. Why? So you can eat better food, have more clothes, a bigger house? Why do you need a bigger market share? All the time you spend busting your butt for your business why not spend that extra time studying and meditating on God`s word?
There were a lot of poor men in the bible who were great men of God. Were the apostles rich? Jesus stayed with the poor and downtrodden.
Sell everything you have,including your business and give it all to the poor. Then trust God to take care of you. That is true faith. Not busting your butt trying to get a bigger market share and tithing a little of that money hoping God will give you more money so you can hord it for retirement,get a bigger house,more food,etc. There are people in this world starving everyday,while we eat the best foods,watch our cable tv,all snug and warm in our comfy houses,etc. All the while talking about God blessing us and making us richer while people starve to death. We have no idea about God and how to live our lives.
You really didn't get the point of my post. It said that God rewards us for tithing and that you'll never find anyone worse off because they're tithing.

You've got no idea what I make and what I do for others. You obviously have a problem with money, but if I were to just give everything away, I'd have nothing more to give, correct? My continued success will provide me with the means to help others constantly.

It's not about having millions of dollars, because I don't. It's about taking what I've got, and GIVING much of it away, and knowing God will bless me because of this.

You know absolutely nothing about me, nor do you about anyone else, yet you're judging me.

God's blessings aren't always financial. But you'll never find someone that's worse financially because they tithed.

THAT'S the point of the post.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think in the passage you quote, Jesus was chastising the Pharisees for their conceited attitude in enforcing the Law.
Jesus was speaking to his disciples also. Jesus had serious issues with the scribes and pharisees because they taught a watered down version of God law and they also put their oral traditions above Gods law. Jesus never told us to stop following the law but to follow it the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Regardless, what do you make of this passage?

Matthew 28

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Who's supposed to do this in today's world?
The better question is....who is doing this today??? How many preachers, pastors or teachers have you heard stating we should be following Gods commandments?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh my gosh! Have you ever considered going into law? Technicalities really seem to be your specialty. I'm just curious... If a person were to lose his job or have to take a cut in pay, do you believe they would be entitled to ask for a percent of their "decrease" back from the Church?

Oh, I totally agree that tithes should be used in a proper manner.

I believe that we have been commanded to tithe, and feel it a privilege to give 10% of my gross income. Because I am able, I also contribute additionally to help the poor and needy in my congregation and worldwide. I agree that we should give cheerfully, but I can't imagine trying to come up with reasons justify my paying anything less than a full tithe. But each to his own I guess.
You obviously are missing the entire point here....I believe everyone should be a cheerful giver, giving as one is lead by God. But churches these days try to use manipulation and guilt to get their congregation into giving to them by siting Mal 3.....they manipulate and guilt them by charging them with robbing God....THIS IS WRONG!!!! If you believe this practice is right....then open up your pocketbook and give away to them.

Please site scripture where Jesus ever "Commanded" us to tithe....because I cannot find this scripture anywhere.

I don't call what I do a "tithe", I call what I do giving cheerfully to the people who need it most and to the people it was meant for.....not some Christian entertainment center. I give way more than 10% with my money, time & talents....it just doesn't go into the coffers of a church....it goes right to the source it was intended to go to.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post

You have a beautiful heart Kat.....don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty for the way you give back to God.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus was speaking to his disciples also. Jesus had serious issues with the scribes and pharisees because they taught a watered down version of God law and they also put their oral traditions above Gods law. Jesus never told us to stop following the law but to follow it the right way.

The better question is....who is doing this today??? How many preachers, pastors or teachers have you heard stating we should be following Gods commandments?
Every pastor I've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity