U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,042 posts, read 8,627,112 times
Reputation: 12073

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
. I view the implication that the Sabbath is no longer necessary as most Christians might view the implication that God said it was ok to steal or commit adultery.


.
That is a bit of a stretch (or worse) and you know it. If not, you really need to get out more often and talk with Christians who don't agree with the SDA church on that matter.

I have yet to meet a Christian at my church of 500+ (and others) who think it OK to steal and commit adultry. As a matter of fact, I know a lot of nonchristians who think it wrong to steal and cheat on your spouse.

Where do you get this stuff? Are you part of some Sabbath keeping cult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 891,644 times
Reputation: 147
Actually real Christian "worship everyday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 PM
 
701 posts, read 662,155 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That is a bit of a stretch (or worse) and you know it. If not, you really need to get out more often and talk with Christians who don't agree with the SDA church on that matter.

I have yet to meet a Christian at my church of 500+ (and others) who think it OK to steal and commit adultry. As a matter of fact, I know a lot of nonchristians who think it wrong to steal and cheat on your spouse.

Where do you get this stuff? Are you part of some Sabbath keeping cult?
You completely misunderstood my post, but you kinda of articulated my viewpoint. What I was trying to point out was that I know, no reasonable Christian would ever think that it is ok to steal or commit adultery, yet the same law that tells us that is wrong, also tells us that the 7th day is the sabbath. We both agree that it is crazy to think stealing and adultery are ok, but I believe that it is just as crazy to think that violating the sabbath is somehow ok when they were both contained in the same law. Hope this at least clears up the missunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
 
701 posts, read 662,155 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Actually real Christian "worship everyday
Yes, that is very true, however there is only one day that can be kept holy. God is the one who makes something holy all we can do is either keep it holy or desecrate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,042 posts, read 8,627,112 times
Reputation: 12073
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
You completely misunderstood my post, but you kinda of articulated my viewpoint. What I was trying to point out was that I know, no reasonable Christian would ever think that it is ok to steal or commit adultery, yet the same law that tells us that is wrong, also tells us that the 7th day is the sabbath. We both agree that it is crazy to think stealing and adultery are ok, but I believe that it is just as crazy to think that violating the sabbath is somehow ok when they were both contained in the same law. Hope this at least clears up the missunderstanding.
OK

Except I disagree on the Sabbath issue.

Life is good and God is in control! Have a good evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,440 posts, read 21,127,968 times
Reputation: 10057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Yes, that is very true, however there is only one day that can be kept holy. God is the one who makes something holy all we can do is either keep it holy or desecrate it.
I'm assuming that you are a Seventh Day Adventist and that this is not just your personal belief you've been expressing, and I'm going to answer with that in mind. You've made a lot of good points, and have presented your case very well. In my conversations with SDAs over the years, I find that my only real frustation is over the fact that this one point of doctrine seems to overshadow all other points of doctrine. There never seems to be much interest in discussing the myriad of other beliefs that should be important to us as Christians. I find that one-track mind kind of thinking disturbing. Maybe we should all be worshipping on Saturday instead of Sunday, but even if I were to agree with you on that one point, I wouldn't know a single solitary thing about anything else you believe. To me, the whole of what God has communicated to mankind is important. I don't see the day on which we worship as the only thing that matters to God, and that's the only thing I ever hear SDAs talk about. Other than that, I don't really know what, if anything, they see as as essential part of the gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 AM
 
701 posts, read 662,155 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm assuming that you are a Seventh Day Adventist and that this is not just your personal belief you've been expressing, and I'm going to answer with that in mind. You've made a lot of good points, and have presented your case very well. In my conversations with SDAs over the years, I find that my only real frustation is over the fact that this one point of doctrine seems to overshadow all other points of doctrine. There never seems to be much interest in discussing the myriad of other beliefs that should be important to us as Christians. I find that one-track mind kind of thinking disturbing. Maybe we should all be worshipping on Saturday instead of Sunday, but even if I were to agree with you on that one point, I wouldn't know a single solitary thing about anything else you believe. To me, the whole of what God has communicated to mankind is important. I don't see the day on which we worship as the only thing that matters to God, and that's the only thing I ever hear SDAs talk about. Other than that, I don't really know what, if anything, they see as as essential part of the gospel.
You are correct that I am a SDA, however you implied that these were not my own personal beliefs, and that I don't think is accurate. I do not hold the beliefs that I hold because I'm a Seventh Day Adventist, I am a Seventh Day Adventist because of the beliefs that I hold. Sounds a bit confusing, but key difference between the two is that I don't let religion dictate my beliefs. My beliefs are based on the word of God, and whatever religion shares those beliefs, I can consider myself a part of.

I enjoy talking about anything to do with religion, and a host of other topics as well. I know on this forum I have shared with others my views on the rapture, on the state of the dead, on the process and plan of Salvation, and various other topics. i believe in Christ, that He is the only means by which mankind can be saved, through His death on Calvary. I believe that He created this world roughly 6000 years ago. I believe in the Genesis account of Noah's flood. I believe in the very visible and soon Coming of Christ. As to what is the essential part of the Gospel? I believe that essential it is about choice. God gave Adam and Eve a tree and a choice in Eden, and we all know the choice they made. 4000 years later Christ gives us another tree and another choice. I am sorry for coming off so one sided. I recall having a discussion with a friend once, about the 10 Commandments, and after a while she got really flustered, and said "that is all you adventists care about is the 4th commandment". I simply stated that the only reason we seem to spend so much time dealing with the 4th commandment is because it is the only one that many Christians seem to have forgotten. We could discuss all the other nine, but there is not a single other Commandment that I've heard a Christian try to "throw out", only the 4th.

Please, don't hesitate to ask or even DM me if there is anything you would like to know about what I believe. As I said I love talking about all aspects of religion. I very much appreciate your post and the courtesy you showed in it. Hope I can shed light on any questions you might have for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,272,377 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
You are correct that I am a SDA, however you implied that these were not my own personal beliefs, and that I don't think is accurate. I do not hold the beliefs that I hold because I'm a Seventh Day Adventist, I am a Seventh Day Adventist because of the beliefs that I hold. Sounds a bit confusing, but key difference between the two is that I don't let religion dictate my beliefs. My beliefs are based on the word of God, and whatever religion shares those beliefs, I can consider myself a part of.

I enjoy talking about anything to do with religion, and a host of other topics as well. I know on this forum I have shared with others my views on the rapture, on the state of the dead, on the process and plan of Salvation, and various other topics. i believe in Christ, that He is the only means by which mankind can be saved, through His death on Calvary. I believe that He created this world roughly 6000 years ago. I believe in the Genesis account of Noah's flood. I believe in the very visible and soon Coming of Christ. As to what is the essential part of the Gospel? I believe that essential it is about choice. God gave Adam and Eve a tree and a choice in Eden, and we all know the choice they made. 4000 years later Christ gives us another tree and another choice. I am sorry for coming off so one sided. I recall having a discussion with a friend once, about the 10 Commandments, and after a while she got really flustered, and said "that is all you adventists care about is the 4th commandment". I simply stated that the only reason we seem to spend so much time dealing with the 4th commandment is because it is the only one that many Christians seem to have forgotten. We could discuss all the other nine, but there is not a single other Commandment that I've heard a Christian try to "throw out", only the 4th.

Please, don't hesitate to ask or even DM me if there is anything you would like to know about what I believe. As I said I love talking about all aspects of religion. I very much appreciate your post and the courtesy you showed in it. Hope I can shed light on any questions you might have for me.
Good Morning Brother...

You said; "...the only reason we seem to spend so much time dealing with the 4th commandment is because it is the only one that many Christians seem to have forgotten..."...

...Remember...Remember...Remember...

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter...: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11.

You, dear brother, have explained the "why" so very eloquently, in "why" we, you and I and some others, have seemingly, to other's, "camped-out" here.

I, like you, wish that there were no need to continously stay on this most precious portion of the Ten Commandments...but it does seem this one, the 4th Commandment, is the one that seems to have been forgotten...so many Christians do not obey this one Commandment...yet they obey all the others...and they do not understand that they can keep all the other 9 Commandments faithfully, until Jesus comes...cast out demons...lay hands on and heal the sick...call Him "Lord...Lord!"...and because they forgot to keep THIS 4th Commandment, in God's eyes, they have broken them all...and on THAT Day, He will say..."...depart from me...I never knew you..."......<--THIS is why I stay here and teach this truth more that any other...it isn't because this Commandment is any more important than the other 9...it IS because THIS ONE is THE ONE Commandment that has been forgotten and brushed to the side...

...no one here...none of you...see me here, or knows the hours I spend in fervent prayer for you...each and every one of you...no exceptions...that God will have mercy upon you who refuse to see, and that He will open the eyes of your understanding...open the eyes of your hearts, and through me...HalfNelson...ALMOST2L8...and other's of like mind and spirit, will somehow "see" that we are only teaching a Truth that cannot be disputed or proved wrong through Scripture. God's Word does not contradict Himself...it cannot...and if you would only just understand this as you read the Bible you will "see," with your heart, that ALL of Scripture agrees with All of Scripture...if read in context. As you read God's Word, keeping this in mind, you will begin to understand Truth as you have never understood it before...but first...you must read the Bible...believe it is, in fact, the Word of God, and it is His Truth, before you can go any further...so, I guess this is to those who approach the Word of God with the understanding that it is, indeed, the living, breathing Word of God...<--this would be the pre-requisite of any further understanding of His Truth....and not man's "idea" of what truth is...in fact.

Everything...every word...every typed letter...every prayer...every tear...enduring every attack...every mocker, with patience and love...comes from a deep sense of responsibility...a duty...mandated by God, to spread His Truth...no matter what. I figure it this way...I'm not bleeding...wounded sometimes, maybe...but no blood shed as yet...so I can endure this for Jesus...and I won't stop...ever...reminding everyone I care about and love...which includes each and every one of you out there, to remember the Sabbath day and to keep it holy unto God...

...there is a reason why He preceeded this one Commandment with the word, remember...it's because He knew it would be the ONE that would be forgotten...by so many.... God bless you all...I do pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 891,644 times
Reputation: 147
I am a Christian and when I read my bible Jesus himself heal on the sabbath day this in itself was against biblical law. However, I say this to say, as a Christian we are to worship everday, now it is true that we go to church on Sundays, for fellowship, but I also go Weds, and Fridays too. The church in and of itself has grown beyond the tradition of Sunday's only and I am so so glad that I have matured past that point hey sis Verna where are your from just curious pm if possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Hagerman, Idaho
2,237 posts, read 4,890,748 times
Reputation: 2108
The churches understanding is incorrect. It is NOT against what the Torah prescribes to be involved with an act that is in the promotion of LIFE. By the way what the church perceives as "The Law" is actually another of many Greco-Roman mistranslations. it is NOT Nomos/Law but "Yah's Teaching and Instruction"....The Torah. Healing would most certainly be considered that. Yahshua knew this. The Pharisees sought to adhere to their OWN interpretation of this understanding, as was most often the case. This is why Yahshua was always correcting them. They were if nothing else a political organization bent on placing others under their rule/thumb. Sounds familiar doesn't it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top