Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
but the bible does not say that they end up in some fabled "hell" where they are tormented forevermore as you imply; and yes I am familiar with the Quran, and in my conviction the god that "orthodox christianity" teaches has much more in common with Allah than with the real God of the bible and Christ. BTW the Quran accuses Jews and Christians not to believe in everlasting punishment, this shows that a belief in everlasting punishment has not ever been deemed orthodox among Christians, I do however not know which Sura.
I completely agree with you on the above in red!! I was drifting into complete darkness at one point in my life and somewhere in there I started to realize that the fanatical Muslims and the fanatical Christians were thinking along the same lines. I couldn't see the difference anymore. I was in a bit of a pickle, as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
but the bible does not say that they end up in some fabled "hell" where they are tormented forevermore as you imply; and yes I am familiar with the Quran, and in my conviction the god that "orthodox christianity" teaches has much more in common with Allah than with the real God of the bible and Christ. BTW the Quran accuses Jews and Christians not to believe in everlasting punishment, this shows that a belief in everlasting punishment has not ever been deemed orthodox among Christians, I do however not know which Sura.
True

Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The spiritual battle is within yourself, not the outward world.

That's why they call it "spiritual".
Amen .

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
but the bible does not say that they end up in some fabled "hell" where they are tormented forevermore as you imply
It sure does.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I started to realize that the fanatical Muslims and the fanatical Christians were thinking along the same lines. I couldn't see the difference anymore.
That's a pity. That's all I can say.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's a pity. That's all I can say.
Here is a snippet from the Quran: And, don't forget, their hell is just as nasty as the Christian one. This is all they know.

Those who adopted the way of disbelief and died as disbelievers, are accursed of Allah and of angels and of all mankind: they will remain accursed for ever. Their punishment will not be lightened, nor will they be reprieved.

There is NO MERCY for unbelievers! None. Remember that.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,347 times
interestingly, even the Quran might not teach the absolute endlessness of punishment in hell, the Arab word for "eternity" seems to be equally ambiguous as the biblical words, I have recently read a most interesting book about the belief in hell/the afterlife from the ancient cultures to nowadays.

in Islam, God is allmighty, he can do everything he wants, he can send the greatest sinner to heaven and the greatest saint to hell. If you believe in Allah's mercy, there can be more hope in Islam than in "orthodox christianity", I almost became a Muslim. It is however a false religion and Allah is not the God of the bible, but "orthodox christianity" also teaches a false god in my conviction.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
interestingly, even the Quran might not teach the absolute endlessness of punishment in hell, the Arab word for "eternity" seems to be equally ambiguous as the biblical words, I have recently read a most interesting book about the belief in hell/the afterlife from the ancient cultures to nowadays.

in Islam, God is allmighty, he can do everything he wants, he can send the greatest sinner to heaven and the greatest saint to hell. If you believe in Allah's mercy, there can be more hope in Islam than in "orthodox christianity", I almost became a Muslim. It is however a false religion and Allah is not the God of the bible, but "orthodox christianity" also teaches a false god in my conviction.
It's my conviction to .

Old 06-04-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:

If that is true, then it sounds like UR is more in line with the Quran than with Bible based Christianity.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Here is a snippet from the Quran: And, don't forget, their hell is just as nasty as the Christian one. This is all they know.

Those who adopted the way of disbelief and died as disbelievers, are accursed of Allah and of angels and of all mankind: they will remain accursed for ever. Their punishment will not be lightened, nor will they be reprieved.

There is NO MERCY for unbelievers! None. Remember that.
Sure there are similarities. What's you point? You don't beleive it when it is spelled out in the Bible either, so what does that make you? "Love your neighbor" is also in the Quran, so is that further proof that radical Islam and radical Christiaity are similar?

John 3:36 ''He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides (remains) on him.

Revelation 20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity