Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That is the point that seems to go by the wayside....if there is no eternity\eternal\everlasting about hell, then heaven isn't either (eternity\eternal\everlasting).

The point of the spear (so to speak), the message of UR is that there is no absolutes about what a saving faith is required by God. I can not think of anything less loving than a message of apathy for the unbeliever. UR removes accountability for unbelief.
What it's really saying is"
  • "God loves you, so believe whatever, whenever or not at all; ultimately it doesn't matter."
  • " Jesus (when quoted) 'Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.' is ultimately saying this out of pure fear mongering..there is no eternal hell, or hell (or whatever the reason)
Twin... what is unloving about a message of apathy for the unbeliever?

And why would their be accountability for unbelief? It doesn't seem right to be accountable for belief in something intangible or unseen. IMO

In the portion of the verse you quoted have you ever wondered why Jesus states to make every effort to enter but some will try and not be able to?
"make every effort" is translated from the word agonizomai meaning: to struggle, literally (to compete for a prize), figuratively (to contend with an adversary), or genitive case (to endeavor to accomplish something) -- fight, labor fervently, strive.

Compare that to the word zeteo translated as "try" meaning: to seek; specially, (by Hebraism) to worship (God), or (in a bad sense) to plot (against life)

So in contrast these two words are in keeping with what is told to the leaders of the synagogue... some will try to enter by plotting or worshiping but they will be turned away because they don't know what they are doing... but one who strives or struggles is granted access. That the first may be last and the last first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The point of the spear (so to speak), the message of UR is that there is no absolutes about what a saving faith is required by God.
You don't understand what UR is. God doesn't have requirements to save us. He loves us. He is love. If your child were drowning, what would you require of that child to go snatch them to safety? You don't get UR at all, and IMO, you don't even understand why Jesus died. He didn't die to give us a choice to make a wise decision. He died to save us from our sins.

Absolutes? There are 33,000 different Christian denominations. There are NO absolutes. Some believe you only have to believe, some believe you have to never sin again, some believe you have to be baptized, some believe you have to repent, some believe if you "think" you have to repent you've added to the believing part and can't even be saved if you "think" that (a CD poster), and the list goes on and on.

There is an absolute with Universalism. Jesus Christ died for the sins of the World. He is the Savior of the World and he will not fail in God's purpose. God is Love. God is forgiving. God is merciful. He is not a sadistic torturer. You reap what you sow, but you are not set on fire for eternity.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
If your child were drowning, what would you require of that child to go snatch them to safety? .

Evidently there would only be an offer for help, it would be up to the drowning child to accept it and hopefully when it wasn't too late.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Evidently there would only be an offer for help, it would be up to the drowning child to accept it and hopefully when it wasn't too late.
Let him drown and hope your theory about UR was correct and he'll be saved after death. That is the UR way.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM

987 posts, read 1,118,583 times
There is an absolute with Universalism. Jesus Christ died for the sins of the World. He is the Savior of the World and he will not fail in God's purpose. God is Love. God is forgiving. God is merciful. He is not a sadistic torturer. You reap what you sow, but you are not set on fire for eternity.

I LOVE this statement Bright Hope.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let him drown and hope your theory about UR was correct and he'll be saved after death. That is the UR way.
Oh my..That is definitely not the meaning of "Suffer the little children"

Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Well your theory is false since I share my faith with anyone I can because I hope people meet Jesus in this life. If your theory had any merit I wouldn't care, since I do, you don't have any idea what your talking about.

On the other hand, you are not denying that a child would need to accept your help before you would save him from drowning.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Oh my..That is definitely not the meaning of "Suffer the little children"
Didn't someone argue that there is suffering on earth so that others could feel compassion for the ones suffering?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
On the other hand, you are not denying that a child would need to accept your help before you would save him from drowning.
Child or adult, what difference does it make? Oh, I get it, it sounds better with a child in the story If you don't want to be saved, then you won't be. There are those who choose to drown, and they'll push away anyone trying to help.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Child or adult, what difference does it make? Oh, I get it, it sounds better with a child in the story If you don't want to be saved, then you won't be. There are those who choose to drown, and they'll push away anyone trying to help.

You can substitute child with any thing you feel like, homeless man , homosexual, whoever is more confortable for you to let drown.

I see your responce, I get ya. Mighty convenient. well I couldn't save em, they didn't accept my help.

God, the apathetic human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity