Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times

Advertisements

This thread has turned silly and kind of funny
All I have to say is no matter how many people in the Midwest try to convince us, even though your lakes are beautiful, none of you come close to the majestic beauty of the alpine lakes in Idaho, even Lake Tahoe falls short. There is nothing like crystal blue glacial lakes, and I am talking big lakes, with the craggy snow capped peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains or Cabinet Mountains, or Idaho's countless other mountains framing the backdrop to hundreds of other lakes within the Gem State. The only other state that would give Idaho a run for its money concerning lakes is Alaska.

Polls on this forum are often determined by how many people from a particular state or region vote for what they are familier with, thus these polls are often flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
That's pretty much true, but when I saw this thread I wasn't thinking on that level, more about popular lakes or popular "lake states". Mountain glacial lakes are more beautiful than the ocean in many cases!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
MN lakes are not the least bit swampy you say? Let the photos speak for themselves. Flat, swamp like, and boring.

I said none of the lakes around here were swampy, didn't say a thing about MN. I'm nowhere near MN. Nice try, but FAIL.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
This thread has turned silly and kind of funny
All I have to say is no matter how many people in the Midwest try to convince us, even though your lakes are beautiful, none of you come close to the majestic beauty of the alpine lakes in Idaho, even Lake Tahoe falls short. There is nothing like crystal blue glacial lakes, and I am talking big lakes, with the craggy snow capped peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains or Cabinet Mountains, or Idaho's countless other mountains framing the backdrop to hundreds of other lakes within the Gem State. The only other state that would give Idaho a run for its money concerning lakes is Alaska.

Polls on this forum are often determined by how many people from a particular state or region vote for what they are familier with, thus these polls are often flawed.

No one disputes the beauty of the western states. The mountains there are spectacular. However the beauty of the states of the upper midwest is unknown to most of the nation. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan hardly ever get the credit they deserve for natural beauty. I met an older couple from out west last summer in Upper Michigan. They told me they were completly shocked at how beautiful the state was. They had no idea about what was up here, and never expected to find what they did. Many of the lakes up here are isolated, and very private. Much of the great lakes shorline is also quite unspoiled. There is no where in the USA like the upper midwest, it is unique. Isle Royal, Sleeping bear dunes, Apostle Islands, Door peninusla, Arrowhead area of Minnesota, these places are all very unique and beautiful. Alot of people on the east and west coasts think the midwest is only flat farmlands that stretch for miles, frozen for half the year. I guess it is thier loss.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM

648 posts, read 1,617,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I said none of the lakes around here were swampy, didn't say a thing about MN. I'm nowhere near MN. Nice try, but FAIL.
Big difference. The midwest is a prairie and generally the lakes are just little dips in the grass filled water, they are muddy and almost like sinking sand (the ground under the water that is). A friend of mine went on a boating trip to Wisconsin and putting his boat into the water (not the Great Lakes) he had his foot stuck and lost a shoe from the mud in the lakes up there.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Big difference. The midwest is a prairie and generally the lakes are just little dips in the grass filled with rain and snow melt water, they are muddy and almost like sinking sand.
None of them I have been to in MN or WI on vacations were like what you say they are. Most were fairly deep, rocky, and crystal clear. You are mixing up the upper Great Lakes region with the Great Plains region.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Big difference. The midwest is a prairie and generally the lakes are just little dips in the grass filled with rain and snow melt water, they are muddy and almost like sinking sand.
His location says "West Michigan"
I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talkin about.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
His location says "West Michigan"
I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talkin about.
West Michigan is in the midwest.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
None of them I have been to in MN or WI on vacations were like what you say they are. Most were fairly deep, rocky, and crystal clear. You are mixing up the upper Great Lakes region with the Great Plains region.
Do you have photos? So where are all these rocks and outside of the water up there? Because the land is a fairly flat prairie... and as a Long Island resident I know what flat land turns into when it gets very wet.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Kiddie pools. A 3 foot deep puddle in a prairie is not a lake.
Superior is deeper than any lake in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City