Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The results of the poll show that many here know what they are talking about, are not homers and are willing to give credit where credit is due.

Your remarks show that you have issues with New York not winning this poll, period. You are also coming across as very geographically ignorant.
I agree. I voted for Michigan because I have visited many times and im very impressed with their lakes. Its not just the great lakes either. They have many great inland lakes too. I don't see why topogrophy should play a role anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
KidCann, those are a bit better. But still you leave me unimpressed because 1) those are average little hills that do not phase anybody and 2) they are nothing compared to states that should be winning like Alaska, New York, California, Montana, and Maine.
IF this were a thread discussing which State had bigger hills, then you MIGHT have something to argue about. Seeing how it is a thread dealing with LAKES, you don't have a leg to stand on. I've lived in the Northeast for 20 years, been all through NY, ME (lived there), and the other New England States. Have family in MT, so I have spent some time there as well. For clean, clear lakes none of them can touch the Great Lakes region. Period.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

All of these are in Northern MN. Sure, not giant huge mountians, but the topography here is anything but 'flat'.
Great pics. I didn't know that existed in MN.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
IF this were a thread discussing which State had bigger hills, then you MIGHT have something to argue about. Seeing how it is a thread dealing with LAKES, you don't have a leg to stand on. I've lived in the Northeast for 20 years, been all through NY, ME (lived there), and the other New England States. Have family in MT, so I have spent some time there as well.For clean, clear lakes none of them can touch the Great Lakes region. Period.
Topography plays a major role in determining a nice lake. You can not be serious saying the lake surroundings what you see do not matter. Minnesota has the highest boat per person ratio in the country, which equals boat exhaust pollution, leaks, and toxic antifouling paint.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
West Michigan is in the midwest.
It's in the midwest, but it's nothing like what you were describing (a prairie land with shallow muddy waters.) What's funny is that LI is full of shallow muddy marshland waters, as is Miami, so expressing your disliking of these types of lakes is pretty ironic.

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-16-2010 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Does that mean that the ocean near Long Island isn't nice, since LI is mostly flat?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Does that mean that the ocean near Long Island isn't nice, since LI is mostly flat?
It is not that nice, just a sliver towards Montauk and parts of the northern part of the island where there are decent smaller cliffs. If it had palm trees though, that would help make up for it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

All of these are in Northern MN. Sure, not giant huge mountians, but the topography here is anything but 'flat'.
What's interesting about Minnesota is the highest point above sea level is near Lake Superior, which shows there is quite a divergence of terrain. That area, by the way, is near Rt 61, in the upper, northeast corner of Minnesota that slides into Ontario. Many make the mistake that Minnesota is a flat state, but the aforementioned area is an exception, as many of these pictures prove.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Topography plays a major role in determining a nice lake. You can not be serious saying the lake surroundings what you see do not matter. Minnesota has the highest boat per person ratio in the country, which equals boat exhaust pollution, leaks, and toxic antifouling paint.
In fresh water you don't have to use anti-fouling paint. As for numbers of boats per person, that is meaningless. What would be a better indicator of pollution from boats would be the number of boats per square mile of water. Where did you get the information with the boat/person ratio? I would like to look at that site, and haven't been able to find a reliable source for that information.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
In fresh water you don't have to use anti-fouling paint. As for numbers of boats per person, that is meaningless. What would be a better indicator of pollution from boats would be the number of boats per square mile of water. Where did you get the information with the boat/person ratio? I would like to look at that site, and haven't been able to find a reliable source for that information.
Boating in Minnesota: Minnesota DNR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City