Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times

Advertisements

Also, I do not see the relationship between downtown office space and vibrancy. 9-5 maybe, but weekday evenings and weekends, how does that matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Prelude,

I don't believe you can easily find a parking spot in DT DC! That's some str8 bs.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Prelude,

I don't believe you can easily find a parking spot in DT DC! That's some str8 bs.
Believe what you want, Im telling you from my own experience. I drive into downtown at least 2x a week to visit customers, driving 100% of the time, never had an issue parking.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
At street level, how are Manhattan and D.C. different in their downtown's other than there being less people? Both have urban canyons for miles and grand boulevards without surface street parking.
You are making a terrible mistake here. Downtown DC is a lot like Chicago's Loop. It's a very impersonal, full of offices and people in suits.

Manhattan is NOT like that. Midtown, at least, is FULL of high end retail, theater district, restaurants, bars, nightclubs meshed in a business district. Manhattan does not give that impersonal corporate feel like DC and Chicago does. Center City is more similar to Manhattan than DC is...I've been to all 3, and its true.

They don't call Center City a mini-Manhattan for no reason.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
You are making a terrible mistake here. Downtown DC is a lot like Chicago's Loop. It's a very impersonal, full of offices and people in suits.
You mean kinda like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXQoz...eature=related

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
DC has miles of office canyons block after block, something Philly does not have. Only NYC and Chicago have this.
What is wrong with you?

From Locust to Arch Streets is a continuous urban canyon from 2nd Street to 40th.
4 Miles from E-W and 1 - 1 1/2 miles from N-S.

Walnut Street 18th Street looking East towards 2nd St. If tou turned around you would have the same view looking West towards University City which ends around 45th Street. An interrupted stretch of buildings ranging from 100' to 500'.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
What is wrong with you?

From Locust to Arch Streets is a continuous urban canyon from 2nd Street to 40th.
4 Miles from E-W and 1 - 1 1/2 miles from N-S.

Walnut Street 18th Street looking East towards 2nd St. If tou turned around you would have the same view looking West towards University City which ends around 45th Street. An interrupted stretch of buildings ranging from 100' to 500'.

Look, I love Philadelphia. This thread is only in fun for comparison on this lovely city stat site we all love. However, center city isn't even in the same breath as NYC or D.C. when it comes to urban canyons. If people want to say center city is more vibrant than downtown DC, that's another conversation but center city is not an urban canyon downtown. It's not big enough.

Rules for urban canyons:

-you can't have two or three story buildings downtown

-you can't have a lot of surface parking lots

-you can't break street level development at eye level meaning buildings need to be built high enough that they are out of eye level

-possess multiple streets north, south, east, and west of the center of downtown with continuance development at street level

Buildings all have to be tall enough that at street level they connect at eye view. I know you thought by showing the center most built up part of center city, you would prove Philly has urban canyons but it doesn't for the most part. Two streets north and south of that picture don't have urban canyons. Philly has a lot of two to four story buildings in and around center city and a lot of surface parking.

Here are a few examples in Philly that show the lack of urban canyons downtown

19th and Chestnut in Philly
center city philadelphia pa - Google Maps

And three streets north of that street already out of urban canyons

N 19th st. and Cuthbert st.
center city philadelphia pa - Google Maps

Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Nah, MD is ok! Why do people have problem with MD hyping up DC? Philly bammas do it every other thread. They are just upset because he constantly sh&ts on them with his facts. And when I see post claiming that DT DC is suburban, I tend to laugh. DC has miles of office canyons block after block, something Philly does not have. Only NYC and Chicago have this.

Anyway you slice it, DT DC is growing at an enormous rate and it kills tiny CC. DT DC will soon surpass the Loop. What puzzels me is that, you people keep harping on vibrancy. If DT DC is not vibrant, why is parking such a major issue on nights and weekends DT?
You have no idea what you are talking about. You are almost as delusional as durf lol.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Nobody's delusional! CC has a tiny foot print. DC does in fact have miles of office canyons. Are you still upset that Philly people come to DC to party on the weekends? You have to get over that son!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Office canyons? Who cares? In what way is DT DC superior to CC Philly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City