Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well, as predicted, this thread is close to self-destruction. It's really not that serious, people. There's so much to appreciate about all of these cities, but it seems like it's really hard for some people to admit that.

Not to mention, using tacky insults to express one's preferences really brings down the quality of conversation fast.
Agreed.

Just for the record I never insulted anyone or any city.

My only crime? Apparently defending Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Agreed.

Just for the record I never insulted anyone or any city.

My only crime? Apparently defending Philadelphia.
I'm really not trying to point fingers or sound like the conversation police, but I just wish some there was more of a sense of decorum in general in these types of threads.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe we should bed bugs as this dialouge has hit pretty close to bottom at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well, as predicted, this thread is close to self-destruction. It's really not that serious, people. There's so much to appreciate about all of these cities, but it seems like it's really hard for some people to admit that.

Not to mention, using tacky insults to express one's preferences really brings down the quality of conversation fast.
I come to these forums to learn facts, gain insight from people who share their perspectives and (truth me told), enjoy the occasion CLEVER smackdown. When it degenerates into name calling, I'm outta here.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Actually Healthcare is one area where Philadelphie is clearly in the lead; Boston and SF do very well in Biotech; Philly no sloutch either but Philly/NJ is the center of healthcare for the world; seriously
A ridiculous post; Boston is a health care mecca, with Mass General, Brigham, Beth Israel, Dana Farber Cancer Inst., Harvard Medical School, etc..

Philly is behind Boston in this category, without a doubt..and I'm not the ultimate Boston booster, either...since I voted for SF/Bay in this poll...

Last edited by MassVt; 03-10-2011 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
A ridiculous post; Boston is a health care mecca, with Mass General, Brigham, Beth Israel, Dana Farber Cancer Inst., Harvard Medical School, etc..

Philly is behind Boston in this category, without a doubt..and I'm not the ultimate Boston booster, either...since I voted for SF/Bay in this poll...

Well honestly the Hospitals in Philly can go head to to toe (UPenn, CHOP, Jeff, Hahneman, Fox Chase, Pennsylvania, Temple, Dupont Childrens etc.) Not to mention med schools also.

In my context is also on Pharmaceutucals, and although Boston has excellent companies and research in Cambridge and Waltham and even out to Marlborough but in comparison to Philly, no - Boston is a great Hospital city no doubt but in the larger realm of Healthcare Boston is most definately behind Philly in this regard; but a fairly wide margin when including all the associated elements

Quite honestly as a consultant to the Helathcare industry I find your post with a reference to mine being rediculous either totally uneducated to the industry or only looking at one single aspect; of which just purely on hospitals there is no way to make a bold statement in the first place. On hospitals alone as UPenn and Fox Chase can go head to to toe with any Boston Hospital and CHOP is and has been the BEST childrens hospital in the World and has been for decades and that is no knock against Bostons Childrens Hospital; also a fabulous and highly ranked/regarded facility. BTW Hopkins in Baltimore is better overall than any non ped hospital in Philly or Boston

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Well honestly the Hospitals in Philly can go head to to toe (UPenn, CHOP, Jeff, Hahneman, Fox Chase, Pennsylvania, Temple, Dupont Childrens etc.) Not to mention med schools also.

In my context is also on Pharmaceutucals, and although Boston has excellent companies and research in Cambridge and Waltham and even out to Marlborough but in comparison to Philly, no - Boston is a great Hospital city no doubt but in the larger realm of Healthcare Boston is most definately behind Philly in this regard; but a fairly wide margin when including all the associated elements

Quite honestly as a consultant to the Helathcare industry I find your post with a reference to mine being rediculous either totally uneducated to the industry or only looking at one single aspect; of which just purely on hospitals there is no way to make a bold statement in the first place. On hospitals alone as UPenn and Fox Chase can go head to to toe with any Boston Hospital and CHOP is and has been the BEST childrens hospital in the World and has been for decades and that is no knock against Bostons Childrens Hospital; also a fabulous and highly ranked/regarded facility. BTW Hopkins in Baltimore is better overall than any non ped hospital in Philly or Boston

I've been in the Healthcare sector for 30 years, 25 of which have been spent in Boston, so I think I have a fairly good grasp of the industry, thank you..

What I find "objectionable" is the ridiculous Philly boosterism coming from several PA-based posters here; if you truly believed everything said by them, you'd have thought that life itself was "created" in Philly, along with the air we breathe, the multiplying of the loaves and fish, the parting of the seas...the nonsense just never ends....

There have been countless polls in CD asking readers to rank the Top5, Top 10, etc cities in the US for all categories, and Philly, much to its boosters' dismay, never cracks the Top 5; I would certainly give credance to Philly being in the Top 10, but no more than that..and to claim that Philly rises in importance above both the Bay Area and Boston is ludicrous..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I'd say in terms of medical research, Boston has the clear lead while Philadelphia has the clear lead in pharmaceuticals.

Hospitals-wise, it's tough to beat Boston. Philadelphia has a fantastic lineup, but I'm not sure it matches up against Mass General, Beth Israel, Brigham and Women's, Dana Farber, Mass Ear & Eye, Joslin Diabetes, Tufts Medical Center, Boston Medical Center, Children's Hospital Boston, etc.

However, I think it's inarguable that Boston and Philadelphia have the two best childrens' hospitals in the world.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've been in the Healthcare sector for 30 years, 25 of which have been spent in Boston, so I think I have a fairly good grasp of the industry, thank you..

What I find "objectionable" is the ridiculous Philly boosterism coming from several PA-based posters here; if you truly believed everything said by them, you'd have thought that life itself was "created" in Philly, along with the air we breathe, the multiplying of the loaves and fish, the parting of the seas...the nonsense just never ends....

There have been countless polls in CD asking readers to rank the Top5, Top 10, etc cities in the US for all categories, and Philly, much to its boosters' dismay, never cracks the Top 5; I would certainly give credance to Philly being in the Top 10, but no more than that..and to claim that Philly rises in importance above both the Bay Area and Boston is ludicrous..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd say in terms of medical research, Boston has the clear lead while Philadelphia has the clear lead in pharmaceuticals.

Hospitals-wise, it's tough to beat Boston. Philadelphia has a fantastic lineup, but I'm not sure it matches up against Mass General, Beth Israel, Brigham and Women's, Dana Farber, Mass Ear & Eye, Joslin Diabetes, Tufts Medical Center, Boston Medical Center, Children's Hospital Boston, etc.

However, I think it's inarguable that Boston and Philadelphia have the two best childrens' hospitals in the world.
I think that's a very objective assessment. Both cities are home to top-notch medical institutions, but Boston has two "powerhouse" medical institutions (Mass General and Brigham & Women's), whereas Philadelphia is only home to one such institution -- UPenn Hospital. In my opinion, that alone should definitely give Boston the medicine edge:

Best Hospitals 2010-11: The Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I am curious. Do you have any examples of this San fran "accent"? Btw I find san franciscans to sound neutral or in other words generic
I don't think i need to provide examples of something so obvious. Do native San Franciscans sound like native Bostonians, Philadelphians, New Yorkers, Atlantans, etc, etc, etc? No, they don't...therefore they have a "distinct accent" . No, it's not nearly as "distinct" or obvious in general as various southern and east coast accents (as i said it blends in mostly with the general CA accent), but it obviously exists, and it is obviously different from a whole lot of places. Everyone has an accent of some sort according to anyone from anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt
I swear some of these Philly boosters act like their city crapped out the moon, the stars, and jesus himself.

Also, in terms of medical stuff, i think people are overlooking the Bay Area bit, which has some very good medical schools and hospitals. A lot of medical research gets done here as well, if i'm not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City