Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:39 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
I'd like to know which atl forumer or forumers are rigging the poll. Atl is known for doing this in other threads. Frankly I'm seriously surprised atl has a slight lead, but I know it's rigged. How bout the same poll but with forum member names listed?

Even then no guarantee of the validity, but at least you would see if a bunch of newly registered accounts voted.
COMON Man! D.C. is considered hot by people in DMV, some in Philly and a few in NYC, NJ. A-T-L is recognized as a hot party spot by people nation wide and even some overseas.

Did you see all the events listed in the post just above? That was all just last year. You couldn't post that many parties of that magnitude taking place in D.C. if I gave you a 3 or 4 year span to cover.

The only reason D.C. is even in the contest is because this is City Data and most people on this forum tend to favor urban North Eastern cities.

If this was a poll of just regular American folks on the street, D.C. would be getting blown away completely. It would take a miracle for it to hang with the A.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
COMON Man! D.C. is considered hot by people in DMV, some in Philly and a few in NYC, NJ. A-T-L is recognized as a hot party spot by people nation wide and even some overseas.

Did you see all the events listed in the post just above? That was all just last year. You couldn't post that many parties of that magnitude taking place in D.C. if I gave you a 3 or 4 year span to cover.

The only reason D.C. is even in the contest is because this is City Data and most people on this forum tend to favor urban North Eastern cities.

If this was a poll of just regular American folks on the street, D.C. would be getting blown away completely. It would take a miracle for it to hang with the A.
I think you're going overboard. No one flies or comes to ATL from all over the nation just to party. It's no Miami, Las Vegas or New Orleans. Those videos could have easily been anywhere; ya'll post all these videos but they aren't showing anything unique or amazing.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Slim,

People outside of Atlanta think you are country. Stop sicing yourself up. I like the A, but its not on DC's level in terms of sophistication. If we are talking about fried chicken and beer, then the A has it. LOL. (Note the reference to Luda). As for the nightlife, people here recognize that DC is that beast. Whe Atlanta gets party districts like DC has, let me know. Atlanta has no answer for U Street or Adams Morgan. I won't bring up DC's Chinatown or Georgetown because it wouldn't be fair. Let's keep it strickly for the AA crowd.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default mydayoff

I'm convinced the ATL folks on this page have DC convoluted...I don't doubt ATL scene is poppin but to think DC is not at least on the same level...u say DC couldn't handle those events?..World figures fly into DC all the time and DC gets them in and out without a hitch...DC handles things like the inauguration which is millions of ppl on the street....matter fact did some1 just say DC would get blown out by the number of ppl on the street...I know ATL but do Yall honestly know theDC I'm speaking of..or to u just watch news broadcast?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Right! DC has something going on every weekend. From tourist to festivals to embassy parties to Carnival to protests, people are always in the city doing something. A million on the streets? We almost have a million on our subways each day? WTF!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As a 17-year old, I would have voted Atlanta. Now that I'm almost 30, I am voting for DC. Atlanta is too much of a club city for my taste. I've been tired of that scene since 2004. There's nothing in Atlanta comparable to Marvin on a Monday night. The perfect night for me is throwing on a button up, a blazer, and heading to the POV lounge in the W Hotel for a drink and looking out at the Washington Monument while listening to some cool jazz and house music. It's not going to some club and yelling in some chick's ear over the latest Young Jeezy song.

My two favorite places in Atlanta were Cafe Intermezzo and Yin Yang. Not sure if either is there anymore. Last time I was down there about a year ago, I saw guys walking into clubs off Peachtree with sneakers, chains and baggy jeans. I'll keep it real...I'm too bougie for that. I don't want to hear any dirty south music coming out of a club. I want some Fela Kuti, Diana Ross, The Black Keys, Kanye West, Kid Cudi and Jay-Z.

Cafe Intermezzo is still around. I just called them. There is a location in Brookwood and Downtown too. I went there. I like the atmosphere there.

I'm a bit like you. I'm not into the dirty south stuff. I don't do baggy jeans, chains, and the like. I've only been to one club in Atlanta, Primal. Didn't like it and never want to go there. I'm not into clubs either. Screaming just to be able to talk, and cigarette smoke is trapped indoors all the time, so it isn't easy on the sinuses. Sadly that is alot of what I see. I never new Cafe Intermezzo existed until my 25th birthday(which was 7 weeks ago). Loved the place.

Mainly, my normal night life consists of going to Starbucks and staying there. I live in Cobb County and I can't get to Atlanta due to lack of a car. If I do go to Atlanta on the transit, I won't get back into Atlanta until the next morning, or if it's Sunday, I'll be stuck in Atlanta until Monday(Cobb COunty's transit system doesn't run on Sunday. At least in DC the metro goes into Virginia's suburbs).

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People outside of Atlanta think you are country.
No.

Quote:
Stop sicing yourself up.
LOL! You know that's not how that word is spelled, right? Yet you are calling people country. {pat on the head}

Quote:
I like the A, but its not on DC's level in terms of sophistication.
Hmm, qualify that.

Quote:
If we are talking about fried chicken and beer, then the A has it. LOL. (Note the reference to Luda).
What, black folks in DC don't like chicken and beer? Stop acting, slim.

Quote:
As for the nightlife, people here recognize that DC is that beast.
Well apparently people in DC consider the nightlife there is a beast (I guess that's what you meant).

Quote:
Whe Atlanta gets party districts like DC has, let me know. Atlanta has no answer for U Street or Adams Morgan. I won't bring up DC's Chinatown or Georgetown because it wouldn't be fair.

Countless times on this thread people posted the various party districts in Atlanta. They would be Virigina-Highland, Atkins Park, L5P, EAV, Castleberry Hill, Crescent Avenue just to name a few. Yet, you continue to act like no one has mentioned these.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in Cobb County and I can't get to Atlanta due to lack of a car. If I do go to Atlanta on the transit, I won't get back into Atlanta until the next morning, or if it's Sunday, I'll be stuck in Atlanta until Monday(Cobb COunty's transit system doesn't run on Sunday. At least in DC the metro goes into Virginia's suburbs).
If you were in DC, you'd be in a similar situation. WMATA shuts down at 12am (an hour earlier than MARTA) and starts at 5:30 am Monday thru Friday. On Friday Night and Saturday it closes at 2am and doesn't start until 8am Saturday and Sunday morning ()

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If you were in DC, you'd be in a similar situation. WMATA shuts down at 12am (an hour earlier than MARTA) and starts at 5:30 am Monday thru Friday. On Friday Night and Saturday it closes at 2am and doesn't start until 8am Saturday and Sunday morning ()
Similar, but not the same. The only way to get from Cobb County(Kennesaw specifically) to Atlanta is to take 2 buses to a MARTA station and then take MARTA rail. At least WMAT runs on Sunday. CCT doesn't run on Sunday. I would be stuck.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Similar, but not the same. The only way to get from Cobb County(Kennesaw specifically) to Atlanta is to take 2 buses to a MARTA station and then take MARTA rail. At least WMAT runs on Sunday. CCT doesn't run on Sunday. I would be stuck.
Solution to that: Don't live in Cobb County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City