Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More culturally black city? Chicago or New York City
Chicago 63 75.00%
New York City 21 25.00%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,374 times

Advertisements

I prefer to look at us as a collective. Our collective mentality was a lot different back in the day. We had an us/ we/ our mentality. It didn't matter one bit that Marcus Garvey was from Jamaican and based in NYC. He was ours! His accomplishments were for our collective betterment.

I don't know what "Black" culture is. Whatever it is, it does not function to build us up. The contrary seems to be the case.

Dr. Amos Wilson says that culture must solve problems and meet the needs of the people. When the culture can't do this, that culture must be transformed. Culture must be measured by these parameters.

We have way too much divisiveness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
It's kind of a broad topic, but basically this: Which city's black population has affected local city culture more? Music, arts, food, speech, religion, neighborhoods, politics, economy, social interaction, etc.

Broad, yes. But it should serve as an impetus to having a lively discussion. Use any criteria you want, considering culture is a pretty loose concept.

And yes, blacks includes all blacks, including foreign blacks, native blacks, etc.
Ok if you are talking about all blacks. New York City wins easily. New York City has a very diverse black population.

So many blacks from Jamaica, Haitian, Trinidad, Nigeria, Ghana.

We have little Senegal in Harlem, little Liberia in park hill staten. Nostrand ave is little Haiti etc.

Chicago for the most part is black southern.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM

320 posts, read 578,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
His company was based in Chicago. That's what ThreeSides was saying.

Edit: And I'm not seeing anything about George Johnson being from Arkansas. His bios state he was born in Mississippi and moved to Chicago as a child.
John H. Johnson was born January 19, 1918 in Arkansas City, Arkansas. He was the Chairman & CEO of Johnson Publishing Company. He was the founder of the Company.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Which was more real?

Good Times or Cosby Show?
Family Matters changed everything. I love me some Cosby and Good Times, but I grew up watching Family Matters and wished it was my family, they even looked like my family lol. Such a great show.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

If we are talking all groups of blacks then a lot of cities come before Chicago. DC, Philly, Atlanta, Boston have more diverse black populations.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM

905 posts, read 791,733 times
If you are in Manhattan, black is barely on the radar due to the "disneyification" of that borough. Outside of there it's much more even but I'll say Chicago.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 PM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I'll say NYC due to not only its diverse and bigger Black population, but is an older Black community as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
If you are in Manhattan, black is barely on the radar due to the "disneyification" of that borough. Outside of there it's much more even but I'll say Chicago.
It's funny because the little black population in Harlem is still overall more diverse then whole entire chicagos black population.

Black Americans, Africans from all over west Africa, Jamaicans Haitians, black Americans and black Dominicans, Puerto Ricans.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 PM

408 posts, read 581,455 times
I'm going with Chicago on this.

NYC is going to have more Caribbeanm African influences though.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,953 times
Nyc is sex in the city yuppies and immigrants. Chicago is the real chocolate city. The **** outta here with that fake ass nyc bull ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City