Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
The biggest Influence is out West little kids,Been that way since California surpassed N.y as a state in the 60s.Plus California is in talks of being it's own country it's so powerful. By itself has the 7th or 8th biggest economy on earth.

And both cities & state play a huge part in the world, If New york was in Arkansas or L.A in Alabama nobody would care but Los Angeles is located in the top dog of the nation, The biggest melting pot in the America by far,Once the high speed rail is complete and Los Angeles is Connected to San Francisco to Vegas to Diego i would like to see how that influences the country.
If New York was in Arkansas or LA or Alabama - and that was the only change at all - it would not have lost its influence because it has so many of the most influential financial businesses in the world. Also, See New Orleans until the Civil War. The city was probably the most influential city in the country at that time (4th richest city in the world, in fact) and it was in Louisiana (still is). States don't mean squat.

And *spit* to your little podunk town, buddy! Yeah I said it - podunk. I don't care if you live in LA or Atlanta or whatever city you live in. We do our own thang and still have more fun and eat better tasting food than you do. And you little snot faced jerks come here and kick off your shoes to have a good time and are more worried about us retaining our culture than we are.

Louisiana is the most filmed state in the nation by the way. We took Hollywood. So kiss the ring!

And the rest of the stuff isn't even worth entertaining. I'll close by saying: How is Atlanta more influential than New York City? That one you're gonna need to back up before anybody can even take you seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:17 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Too busy being the world capital of media & entertainment to worry about finance. Nothing influential or anything.
You jest, good sir! Finance is incredibly crucial! Banks and shareholders pretty much own everything. And if it weren't for financial institutions granting loans, our world would cease to function. "Debt" is viewed very negatively, but the truth of the matter is that "debt" and secured transactions are the lifeblood of our world. So NYC's financial stronghold is incredibly relevant for nearly all faucets of life.

Meanwhile, LA has been loosing a hold on its film production industry. States like Louisiana and Georgia have attracted many filmmakers due to its generous tax breaks, and New York State has also attracted quite a lot of business through the film industry. Canada, in particular, is a major competitor when it comes to attracting filmmakers. LA is simply not a financially wise place to do business in.

However, everything I said has to do with production of films. While production is generally being done in other locations, LA still retains great influence in the actual decision-making process. The general system in the film industry is that in order to get into the industry, you go to LA. Once you're actually working on a film, you usually leave LA to travel all over the country for the production of that film.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:11 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Louisiana is the most filmed state in the nation by the way. We took Hollywood. So kiss the ring!
Louisiana has not "taken Hollywood." I actually laughed when I read this. The legacy and reputation established by California, specifically Los Angeles in terms of Hollywood, that is film, television, and music, cannot be replaced or "taken." Hollywood encompasses more than just filming movies. No matter how many films are made in Louisiana, Georgia, or any other state for that matter, California will remain the entertainment mecca. Hollywood has not gone anywhere, and it won't be. You can't take Hollywood out of California, and I don't mean that literally.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,672,662 times
Where did Louisiana come from in this lol

And Cj ,this is how you shoot yourself in the foot without doing any research sir, Hollywood is not even apart of the city of Los Angeles smfh,Los Angeles functions as a city & a county sir and as a county Venice,Santa monica, Beverly hills, Hollywood and alot more cities are 1 unit ,So next time do research please.

And Downtown L.A skyline isn't meant to be like a Manhattan or Chicago due to the earthquake faults in California.City officials are still optimistic about building so high .But Downtown Los Angeles has the largest jewelry & fashion district in the nation, Its revitalization process is incredible. And your from Texas so i understand the California jealousy, i go through Texas and feel like im in Forrest Gump farmland lol

Old 05-14-2015, 08:16 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,672,662 times
Hey Gatsby,you do know movies about New york city are still filmed in Los Angeles right ? Parts of Los Angeles have a Manhattan look to it & Hollywood filmmakers are able to duplicate the scene like it's really in N.y.c when it's not.

And why are you turning this into a Louisiana vs California war when alot of family ties are between those states smh .

Not to toot your horn but Louisiana is nowhere on California level in media or films .Stick to cooking catfish & jazz festivals and have a seat hater.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Louisiana has not "taken Hollywood." I actually laughed when I read this. The legacy and reputation established by California, specifically Los Angeles in terms of Hollywood, that is film, television, and music, cannot be replaced or "taken." Hollywood encompasses more than just filming movies. No matter how many films are made in Louisiana, Georgia, or any other state for that matter, California will remain the entertainment mecca. Hollywood has not gone anywhere, and it won't be. You can't take Hollywood out of California, and I don't mean that literally.
You don't say?

It was a silly response to another silly post with a bunch of silly logic in it.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Hey Gatsby,you do know movies about New york city are still filmed in Los Angeles right ? Parts of Los Angeles have a Manhattan look to it & Hollywood filmmakers are able to duplicate the scene like it's really in N.y.c when it's not.

And why are you turning this into a Louisiana vs California war when alot of family ties are between those states smh .

Not to toot your horn but Louisiana is nowhere on California level in media or films .Stick to cooking catfish & jazz festivals and have a seat hater.
How about we take our state and go back to France. We'll take 33% of the nations energy production. Then we can put a toll on every single good this country put on this river. All those oil pipelines below Louisiana? Our shores have enough oil piping to wrap the globe a few times. They're coming with us. I'd be willing to bet the USA would start a war just as quickly as losing any other state, including precious drought riddled Cali who won't even build a water pipeline to save their own life. Your tone that states are beneath California is what brought it on. Watch your words if you don't want a response.

How is Atlanta more influential than NYC?

I vote NYC

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 05-14-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Quote:

LA has a "Manhattan look to it?"

... Yeah I'm done with this thread.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
LA has a "Manhattan look to it?"

... Yeah I'm done with this thread.
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ... this guy is off his handle. He literally said Atlanta is more influential to the USA than NYC.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
But Downtown Los Angeles has the largest jewelry & fashion district in the nation
Is this going by land area? That's a pretty dubious distinction. The diamond district in NYC sells in a week what the LA jewelry district sells in a year.

Sales numbers:
LA Jewelry district: $3 billion per year
NYC Diamond district: $2.8 billion per week

I am pretty sure all of the precious stones in LA and California had to be bought from NYC first.

Last edited by Gantz; 05-14-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City