Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,672,662 times

Advertisements

New York had the 19th century and now it's California /Los Angeles time at the top today,No big deal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,466 times
I love LA and have lived in SoCal almost all my life. That said, the answer ti the OP's question is NYC and it's not even really close.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:44 PM

But we have to take our hats off to New York, it reached it's peak 100 years ago & has made it's stamp in history as one of the greatest world cities of the 19th century.Its a new day people, Hip hop has shifted to Atlanta, L.A gangs took over New york streets,The N.Y.P.D has the city on lock like a military system, But it doesn't taints N.y legacy as top dog, it's just a new era where Los Angeles /California is King .

Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Ive met plenty of New Yorkers who moved to Los Angeles & loved it here,California is just that much of a melting pot that on its own it has the 7th highest economic rating in the world.

The old New york has passed away & like i said i give it the 19th century all day right along with London.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Wow, great insight by Kobe here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puh3VxlmlRs

Old 05-15-2015, 12:50 AM

78 posts, read 123,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Do you mean the neighborhood or the industry?

While LA would certainly lose some standing if it completely lost the industry, it would still be a world-class city.

Losing Hollywood the neighborhood would have little bearing on its world class status, besides losing one of its more urban neighborhoods that is full of a lot of interesting amenities.

There was talk of Los Angeles splitting into two parts, and it even went to ballot (it lost). If the San Fernando Valley was split from Los Angeles, both cities would be in the top 5 in the United States in population.

Also, Downtown LA and Downtown Dallas are not in the same league at all. Maybe by skyline (even that is doubtful) but the jobs, amenities and vibrancy of DTLA is no match for any Texas city.
The Industry, when I think of LA one of the main things that comes to mind is Hollywood and all that movie stuff you know, of course LA would be a world class city, just like NYC, even if both cities were split up they would still be better than most US cities. I was just trying to figure out what that Kobe guy is talking about since he apparently does not even know his own city. And I meant Skyline wise, LA definitely beats every city in Texas for vibrancy in downtown or any neighborhood.

I was just messing with Kobe, that guy is insane.....in the membrane!!!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:53 AM

No need to get emotional Cj,aren't you from Kansas ?

Why are you involved in this thread anyway ?

This is about Influence & i clearly gave New york credit for being top dog in the 19th century but today things are different, California /Los Angeles is on top now & in modern times is more influential than New york & of course it's just my personal opinion, Have you even been to New York or Los Angeles to make a claim or are you just trolling ?

Ive actually been to New York & i gave Los Angeles the bigger influenced based on New Yorkers emulating Los Angeles street gangs in the 5 boroughs, I mean this is about who has more Influence right ?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:29 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Kobe, I'm willing to bet you don't even know the 19th century means 1800s-1900's, not 1900's-2000's.

Also, If you think ghetto influence is more important than financial influence, then yeah, okay, LA wins.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 AM

Mwah,Why are you sucking N.y off ? Aren't you from New Orleans lol

And what you mean i don't know centuries ? We're in tha 21st century now you idiot, Ive stated plenty of times that New york had the 19th century & thats because it been around that long as a powerhouse for the country,the 20th century to me was a tossup in the beginning between New york & Chicago but around the 60s is where I believe California /Los Angeles grew some steam and eventually took over firmly from the 80s till now .

Old 05-15-2015, 05:37 AM

And the thread wasn't about what influence is more important because i still give New york the edge in Finance, Buisness, Transportation, but on an overall scale i take all things into context & street culture is very important to the inner cities of America, New York City & it's 5 boroughs have been emulating Los Angeles street gangs since the 90s & to me that's where Los Angeles takes it over New York far as influence, New York is big enough & important enough to have their own gangs but i believe after the death of rap star Notorious b.i.g, the city of New York lost it's pride & identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City