Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
How about we take our state and go back to France. We'll take 33% of the nations energy production. Then we can put a toll on every single good this country put on this river. All those oil pipelines below Louisiana? Our shores have enough oil piping to wrap the globe a few times.
Sure, take your dirty energy back

Long term, my bets on solar. You know, the stuff companies like SolarCity (California) helps to harness and companies like Tesla (California) help store and utilize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Los Angeles destroyed America with what we know as Hollywood. New York has kept it real since Day 1.

Everything from Beiber, to Miley, to Kardashians, to every other lame pop artist/actress that's out is thanks to L.A.

The only things Los Angeles does good at : Weed , women (although lots of fake/plastic/anorexic), weather, scenery, rap music (90s)

I'll take Long Beach if I had to choose living in the west coast. I can't stand Hollywood and all the fakeness, plus the air quality is a joke.
Hollywood is simply giving the idiots what they want. If substance made money, then we would be seeing Hollywood producing less brainless content. Don't assume that because this filth is produced here that people around here are into it - at least any more than anywhere else in the US (including NYC).

Anyways, to equate the entire city (but for some reason excusing Long Beach) with a niche industry (albeit its most famous industry) is like disliking people in the Bronx and Queens because of Wall Street elites.

Not much critical thinking goes on here, I see.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
California cant even find enough water to support its crops, let alone be its own country. California is top dog for now but Texas is making a big run for it, population wise. New York is also very diverse in fact I believe Queens county is the most diverse county in the nation. What are you talking about when you say you broke down every borough and on their own are not a Alpha world city ? Brooklyn by its self would be the third or fourth largest city in the US on its own. How would LA be if it was split into different parts ? Would LA be a world class city if it loss Hollywood ? What do you mean NYC is small at its core compared to LA ? LA has a tiny downtown comparable to a smaller city like Dallas. When i was in downtown LA i was surprised on how small the skyline was, maybe it was hiding in the smog ? And about the street gang thing, yeah stupidity is everywhere....

EDIT: I love LA And NYC, and just about every big US city,except Tulsa
Do you mean the neighborhood or the industry?

While LA would certainly lose some standing if it completely lost the industry, it would still be a world-class city.

Losing Hollywood the neighborhood would have little bearing on its world class status, besides losing one of its more urban neighborhoods that is full of a lot of interesting amenities.

There was talk of Los Angeles splitting into two parts, and it even went to ballot (it lost). If the San Fernando Valley was split from Los Angeles, both cities would be in the top 5 in the United States in population.

Also, Downtown LA and Downtown Dallas are not in the same league at all. Maybe by skyline (even that is doubtful) but the jobs, amenities and vibrancy of DTLA is no match for any Texas city.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Where did Louisiana come from in this lol

And Cj ,this is how you shoot yourself in the foot without doing any research sir, Hollywood is not even apart of the city of Los Angeles smfh,Los Angeles functions as a city & a county sir and as a county Venice,Santa monica, Beverly hills, Hollywood and alot more cities are 1 unit ,So next time do research please.

And Downtown L.A skyline isn't meant to be like a Manhattan or Chicago due to the earthquake faults in California.City officials are still optimistic about building so high .But Downtown Los Angeles has the largest jewelry & fashion district in the nation, Its revitalization process is incredible. And your from Texas so i understand the California jealousy, i go through Texas and feel like im in Forrest Gump farmland lol
Yeesh dude. Maybe you should stop posting in defense of LA if you don't know that Hollywood and Venice are part of the city of Los Angeles.

Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are not.

It seems like this thread is a lot of arguing between people that don't live here. And I think most people (even Angelinos) think NYC is the most influential. It seems like its devolved into a bunch of bashing.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Is this going by land area? That's a pretty dubious distinction. The diamond district in NYC sells in a week what the LA jewelry district sells in a year.

Sales numbers:
LA Jewelry district: $3 billion per year
NYC Diamond district: $2.8 billion per week

I am pretty sure all of the precious stones in LA and California had to be bought from NYC first.
That is pretty impressive. Our Jewelry District is fading with new development/adaptive reuse replacing those jewelry stores at a nice clip.

I will say that I do not think there is anything in Manhattan that resembles our Fashion District. That is a pretty unique place in the United States.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Sure, take your dirty energy back

Long term, my bets on solar. You know, the stuff companies like SolarCity (California) helps to harness and companies like Tesla (California) help store and utilize.
LOL.. yeah, good luck with that. You still need oil to make plastic with, and as of today going without 1/3 of the nations domestic energy would bring this nation to its knees. California gets 60% of its energy production from natural gas by the way, while solar is only 2% of your energy generation as of 2013

Total Electricity System Power

Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hollywood is simply giving the idiots what they want. If substance made money, then we would be seeing Hollywood producing less brainless content. Don't assume that because this filth is produced here that people around here are into it - at least any more than anywhere else in the US (including NYC).
^ This. Its not like filmmakers here don't have brains in their head or all have terrible taste. They do what they do for the Hollywood machine because that's what makes money, because the vast majority of Americans are morons. Sorry, but that's the hard truth.

A lot writers, directors, actors also do indie films on the side- the vast majority of which are produced here in LA as well. They do the Hollywood garbage to pay the bills, and do the indie stuff to feed their souls. This is generally a highly creative and artistic city, a fact which anyone who actually lives here understands and a fact which even the NY Times seems to be catching on to as of late. But don't tell CityData posters that.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 05-14-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
LOL.. yeah, good luck with that. You still need oil to make plastic with, and as of today going without 1/3 of the nations domestic energy would bring this nation to its knees. California gets 60% of its energy production from natural gas by the way, while solar is only 2% of your energy generation as of 2013

Total Electricity System Power
As of 2015, renewable capacity is growing at a faster rate than fossil fuel capacity. Just a matter of time before total renewable capacity exceeds fossil fuel capacity. I'd put my life savings on it happening during my lifetime.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
To answer the original question, both New York City and Los Angeles contribute to the image and essence of this country, along with other cities.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:06 PM

696 posts, read 1,171,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Anyways, to equate the entire city (but for some reason excusing Long Beach) with a niche industry (albeit its most famous industry) is like disliking people in the Bronx and Queens because of Wall Street elites.

Not much critical thinking goes on here, I see.
The difference is New York doesn't stand based on Wall Street alone.

New York is diversification at it's finest, a true melting pot, that has multiple big things happening.

Los Angeles on the other hand if it didn't have Hollywood it would be another San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City