Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Until the recent past it DID have more rooms, buddy. And it has been noted that New York is experiencing a hotel boom.

For a place of Atlanta's size to have over 90,000 rooms is impressive, no need to feel threatened by it.
Did . . . is past tense. You spoke as if Atlanta HAS more rooms than NYC currently, which is false. Just own up to your mistake. Hotel boom or not Atlanta doesn't have as many rooms as NYC. Increase your international tourist numbers up a bit and then reply back.

Threatened by Atlanta. . . . .
LOL! You're funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Did . . . is past tense. You spoke as if Atlanta HAS more rooms than NYC currently, which is false. Just own up to your mistake. Hotel boom or not Atlanta doesn't have as many rooms as NYC. Increase your international tourist numbers up a bit and then reply back.

Threatened by Atlanta. . . . .
LOL! You're funny.
Did he say that Atlanta has more hotel rooms than NYC? I can't find it if he did.

It was a response to this little gem: "Lastly to the person who thought Atlanta had more rooms or it was fairly close to NYC in this regard. . . . LOL. Wake up. It's not 1996. The Olympics are over buddy." Atlanta actually is fairly close to NYC in number of hotel rooms, but NYC has more.

The tone of some of the posts is what makes it seem like some people are "threatened" by any comparison between NYC and Atlanta. A civil discussion would make it seem less so.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
First thing, a Canadian person calling another person boring is like a German criticizing another for being serious or an Italian criticizing another for being disorganized or a Japanese criticizing another for being conformist. That is a definite LOL.

And no, I'm no troll, but you are an insane homer if you think that Toronto and Vancouver and the like are among the most desirable cities on earth. You seriously think someone would rather live in some random Canadian city over Paris, Rome and the like?

Detroit over Boston for young professionals! Who knew?
lots of people would rather live in Toronto or Vancouver over some European cities, just like lots of people would rather live in some European cities over Canadian ones. Just because you have something against Canada, doesn't mean everyone does, lol.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM

282 posts, read 350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Did he say that Atlanta has more hotel rooms than NYC? I can't find it if he did.

It was a response to this little gem: "Lastly to the person who thought Atlanta had more rooms or it was fairly close to NYC in this regard. . . . LOL. Wake up. It's not 1996. The Olympics are over buddy." Atlanta actually is fairly close to NYC in number of hotel rooms, but NYC has more.

The tone of some of the posts is what makes it seem like some people are "threatened" by any comparison between NYC and Atlanta. A civil discussion would make it seem less so.
Wishful thinking .

Quite amusing that one could think anyone in the mighty NYC could possibly feel "threatened" by Atlanta? Surely, the only place NYC could feel "threatened" by are cities on its level - like London?

It's like Queen Elizabeth feeling threatened by Honey Boo Boo. LOL.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Wishful thinking .

Quite amusing that one could think anyone in the mighty NYC could possibly feel "threatened" by Atlanta? Surely, the only place NYC could feel "threatened" by are cities on its level - like London?

It's like Queen Elizabeth feeling threatened by Honey Boo Boo. LOL.
It wasn't NYC being threatened by Atlanta...not sure how one city could feel threatened by another anyway. It was that some city-data members have seemed threatened by a comparison to Atlanta, and that was just judging by the resentful/angry tone in their comments. I agree - it is silly to react in such a way...but people do, much more so on this site than in real life.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:07 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
It wasn't NYC being threatened by Atlanta...not sure how one city could feel threatened by another anyway. It was that some city-data members have seemed threatened by a comparison to Atlanta, and that was just judging by the resentful/angry tone in their comments. I agree - it is silly to react in such a way...but people do, much more so on this site than in real life.
No, it's that some people haven't got a clue, and really would try and argue that Atlanta has more hotel rooms than NYC, which, at face value, is an absurd claim. That's all. The fact that you're still arguing over this and making excuses basically confirms the ridiculousness.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
No one outside of the United States cares about Atlanta. Atlanta has a lot of hotel rooms because Atlanta is a big convention center. Other than that, not many people go to Atlanta just to go to Atlanta. Atlanta isn't New York or Los Angeles lol.

Most visited cities by overseas travelers:
New York City 9,500,000
Miami 4,000,000
Los Angeles 3,800,000
Orlando 3,700,000
San Francisco 3,005,000
Las Vegas 2,850,000
Honolulu 2,560,000
D.C. 1,700,000
Chicago 1,400,000
Boston 1,300,000
San Diego 883,000
Houston 801,000
Philadelphia 673,000
Atlanta 557,000

Atlanta was also one of the only two cities that posted decline in visitors. And it was a double-digit decrease.

Atlanta only has a 1.3% share of all leisure travelers to the U.S.A. last year:

Cities with highest % of total leisure travelers to the U.S.:
NYC: 35.9%.
Orlando 15.9%
Miami 15.7%
Honolulu: 13.1%
Las Vegas 12.9%
Los Angeles 11.8%
San Francisco 10.9%
Washington DC 5%
Boston - 3.6%
Chicago - 3%
San Diego 2.7%
Houston 1.5%
Atlanta 1.3%

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf
I was being facetious. I thought for sure, the Rome, GA comment would have made that clear. Sorry about that.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, it's that some people haven't got a clue, and really would try and argue that Atlanta has more hotel rooms than NYC, which, at face value, is an absurd claim. That's all. The fact that you're still arguing over this and making excuses basically confirms the ridiculousness.
You are somewhere in left field. Making excuse? Didn't make any excuses. Arguing? Just responding to a comment without going over the top. I was the one promoting a civil discussion, not an argument. How did this thread get on this topic anyway...who even cares how many hotel rooms are in Atlanta vs. NYC?

The facts already posted in this thread show that the number of hotel rooms in Atlanta isn't far behind the number in NYC...not MORE than NYC, but not significantly less. It's too bad if facts make some people uncomfortable. No one said that Atlanta is better than NYC in any way or has more than NYC of anything.

Here is a list ranking number of hotel rooms in U.S. cities...NYC is 5th, Atlanta is 7th. NYC has more.

1. Las Vegas
2. Orlando
3. Chicago
4. Washington DC
5. NYC
6. Los Angeles
7. Atlanta
8. Dallas
9. Houston
10. Phoenix
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....y-hotel-rooms/

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-01-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 03:37 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am sorry you didn't get my sarcasm thats my fault lol
I think i'm just stressed out, I dread commuting and moving about Houston in general these days, and it shows in my previous post. Sorry!!!

Old 05-01-2015, 05:57 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:

Before you chime into a discussion please have your facts checked first. . . . . Here you go:

Quote:
Perhaps there really is a reason for us being # 3 in the U.S. for number of Hotel rooms behind Orlando & Las Vegas, at over 90,000?
Then another poster asked and made a very true statement. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Atlanta has more hotel rooms than New York City? I find that hard to believe, even if they did host the olympics recently.
Then he replied, so confidently. . . .

Quote:
Yes, and has for years. Look it up.
So Joe, thank you for playing! Furthermore, "threatened" is the last word that comes to my mind when it comes to Atlanta and New York. The ONLY point it has over NYC is that it hosted the Olympics. Ironically, that's also probably the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta. Please, for your sake and city let's move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City