Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most like to live in? Why?
Boston 60 10.15%
Chicago 96 16.24%
Dallas 47 7.95%
Houston 46 7.78%
Las Vegas 40 6.77%
Los Angeles 65 11.00%
Miami 28 4.74%
New York City 66 11.17%
Phoenix 28 4.74%
Philly 64 10.83%
San Fran 51 8.63%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Oh absolutely...but that's the thing: I don't necessarily think Dallas is growing because it's a great city, I think it's mainly because it's cheap and there are great job opportunities there.
Well there's another thing too, some may consider Dallas a great city. You don't but others might.

And another part of it is due to tax reasons, state constitutions prohibits and controls increases and prohibits certain types entirely.

Great cities are always argued, some may not feel Boston to be one you know.

Didn't mean to sound harsh though. But the essence that everyday common people don't do what City-Data people do when deciding where to live, we're all on this site because we have an above average interest in urban planning. Those normal people describe the essence of what they view as a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,467,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
Well there's another thing too, some may consider Dallas a great city. You don't but others might.

And another part of it is due to tax reasons, state constitutions prohibits and controls increases and prohibits certain types entirely.

Great cities are always argued, some may not feel Boston to be one you know.

Didn't mean to sound harsh though. But the essence that everyday common people don't do what City-Data people do when deciding where to live, we're all on this site because we have an above average interest in urban planning. Those normal people describe the essence of what they view as a great city.
Yea it's definitely different strokes for different folks...I'm sure plenty of people are moving to Dallas b/c they like it...but at the same time I think many people are moving there b/c of the job opportunities present in the city.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea it's definitely different strokes for different folks...I'm sure plenty of people are moving to Dallas b/c they like it...but at the same time I think many people are moving there b/c of the job opportunities present in the city.
Definitely true on a 100% account. Nice call.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
I voted for Chicago because I am in love with a woman from there.

Gnutella city rankings

1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Houston
4. Dallas
5. Phoenix
6. Los Angeles
7. New York
8. Miami
9. Boston
10. Las Vegas
11. San Francisco

Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,926,035 times
Out of those cities, I voted New York City, but San Francisco, and Chicago werent far behind.

But some of the arrogance some people express about NYC truly disgusts me.

Some people can love a place without being arrogant about it... As well as not being narrow minded about it. I love NYC, but not some of the attitudes some people have about it.

Some(definitely not all thankfully) people that like NYC dont seem to realize other places can offer some things NYC offers and most places have their positives and things to appreciate in general.

There are nice things about all of those cities in the poll, except for Las Vegas and maybe Phoenix.

I hate Las Vegas and its one of the few places that is hard for me to say anything nice about.
However, if I meet someone cool from Las Vegas, I will respect them and not discriminate. Im sure there are some nice people in Las Vegas, but I hate Las Vegas itself.

There are many great New Yorkers and great people from there(Just like there are many great people from many places) but some New Yorkers I meet are just so nasty, stuck up, arrogant, full of themselves, narrow minded, and other negative things...And it makes me wish NYC didnt influence someone to become any of those negative things.

Last edited by ; 07-29-2010 at 04:23 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 04:33 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,924,648 times
If I had to move tomorrow:

(L.A. n/a)

1. Philadelphia
2. Miami
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. New York
6. Dallas
7. Boston
8. Houston
9. Phoenix
10. Las Vegas

I've been really attracted to the idea of living in Philly lately. Moving to Miami would be such and adventure for me. Chicago would be urban, cheap, and awesome I think. San Francisco same as Chicago, cept its on the west coast where I want to leave. New York would be my first choice if it weren't so expensive, and a little cliche. I could like the idea of living in Dallas because I have friends there, its not supposed to be as humid as other places and it just seems chill. I don't really know Boston that well and don't really have a desire to know more - I just have no personal fascination with the place. Houston (see: Boston). Phoenix seems like a lesser hell than Vegas. Vegas seems like pure hell, though maybe fun for a year or so.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
New York City is it. The only problem is the extremely high COL.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM

546 posts, read 1,177,733 times
I looked at the poll and was surprised that New York wasn't winning like 70% of all votes. I want to live in NYC if I was rich. I want to live in NYC because it is the Capital of All That Is.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,526 times
1.Phoenix
2.Houston
3.Dallas
4.Miami

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
1. NYC - where I was born and raised
2. Boston - I love New England states
3. Philly - I like the surrounding areas
4. Chicago - been there many times as a kid.
5. SF - very pretty city and the surrounding area is nice, but too far away from my family.

The rest of the list, although I would like to visit LA, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City