Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
LOL..

New York is by far the wealthiest city in the United States and the 2nd wealthiest in the world (right behind Tokyo 1.6 trillion vs 1.56 trillion GDP) and Upstate New York is poor and in dire need of help.

If it weren't for NYC the entire state would crumble. The only reason the rest of the state is still operating is from the welfare it receives from NYC.

That is so right. NYC is the largest city of the whole US. Almost all the companies or all major companies are located in NYC. So of course that Upstate NY benefits from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
New York City is not going to reign much longer as THE world financial capital. This recession/depression/whatever it is is going to finish those glory days off. It will go the way of Amsterdam and London - both cities that were once "THE FINANCIAL CAPITAL" of the Western world but now are just "important cities." It's essentially over. Wall Street will never be what it was.

So keep laughing into your beer... time is gaining on you.

For that reason alone, Upstate needs to find its own feet and break away. Pretty soon, New York City won't even be able to take care of itself. Time for "RATS ON THE WESTSIDE, BEDBUGS UPTOWN" again! (which, by the way, Upstate bailed YOU out of in the '70s)
NYC will always be " The Finacial Capital" of the Western world. Wall st is all about money. In Wall st. you can find NYSE, Nasdaq, Nymex, and NYBOT. These are stock exchanges. The Manhatta Financial District is one of the largest business districts in the United States.

New York's gross state product in 2007 was $1.1 trillion, ranking third in size behind the larger states of California and Texas.

If New York were an independent nation, it would rank as the 16th largest economy in the world behind Turkey.

NYC will collapse only if we have another great depression. However if not, NYC will remain standing tall.

Financial districts worldwide

http://www.wallstreetpost.com/gpage6.html I do not see NY state on that list. However I see Wall st, which is in NYC.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 07-28-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
New York City is not going to reign much longer as THE world financial capital. This recession/depression/whatever it is is going to finish those glory days off. It will go the way of Amsterdam and London - both cities that were once "THE FINANCIAL CAPITAL" of the Western world but now are just "important cities." It's essentially over. Wall Street will never be what it was.

So keep laughing into your beer... time is gaining on you.

For that reason alone, Upstate needs to find its own feet and break away. Pretty soon, New York City won't even be able to take care of itself. Time for "RATS ON THE WESTSIDE, BEDBUGS UPTOWN" again! (which, by the way, Upstate bailed YOU out of in the '70s)
LOL, that's just wishful hoping on your part. Every few years a group of idiot back office "economists" proclaim that ____ is dead and will never come back. Silicon Valley, anyone?

New York City will always be a major financial capital and quite honestly, it doesn't need to be the absolute be all end all financial capital of the world to sustain its immense wealth. Don't some consider London to be the financial capital? New York City is still wealthier.

New York State (sans NYC) is poor and quite frankly a worthless state with severe population issues. You might as well live in Alabama. It's about time to get that through your head and control your obvious jealousy. Shouldn't you be grateful of that big fat welfare check sent upstate via the Big Apple? You certainly don't seem like it.

Last edited by Americanboy; 07-28-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC will always be " The Finacial Capital" of the Western world. Wall st is all about money. In Wall st. you can find NYSE, Nasdaq, Nymex, and NYBOT. These are stock exchanges. The Manhatta Financial District is one of the largest business districts in the United States.

New York's gross state product in 2007 was $1.1 trillion, ranking third in size behind the larger states of California and Texas.

If New York were an independent nation, it would rank as the 16th largest economy in the world behind Turkey.

NYC will collapse only if we have another great depression. However if not, NYC will remain standing tall.
I agree, NYC will one way or another continue to grow. It is one of the United States treasures and I highly doubt the government will allow a city of this magnitude to fall. Even if NYC was affected by the depression, the cities own depression will not last. The city will prosper and continue to grow even after the area of the 70's were to return.

Buffalo and Syracuse continue to lose a large amount of population. Rochester on the other hand has the same problems, but more unique industries. Rochester has its blindfolds up when it comes to the east and west. I grew up in Buffalo and now live in Rochester. Rochester looks newer, has good jobs. But has the same problems as every other upstate city. If the optical/imaging industry were to take another huge hit, so would Rochester.

If NYC and Upstate NY are to continue as one. We need to reduce government upstate, reduce tax and reduce the labor unions. Certain politics would need segregation, such as the NYC schools already are. The jobs are what drove people to Buffalo, and the jobs are what are now driving people away. Most people will tolerate almost anything if their wallet is fat.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 PM

57 posts, read 199,099 times
Quote:
LOL, that's just wishful hoping on your part. Every few years a group of idiot back office "economists" proclaim that ____ is dead and will never come back. Silicon Valley, anyone?

New York City will always be a major financial capital and quite honestly, it doesn't need to be the absolute be all end all financial capital of the world to sustain its immense wealth. Don't some consider London to be the financial capital? New York City is still wealthier.

New York State (sans NYC) is poor and quite frankly a worthless state with severe population issues. You might as well live in Alabama. It's about time to get that through your head and control your obvious jealousy. Shouldn't you be grateful of that big fat welfare check sent upstate via the Big Apple? You certainly don't seem like it.
You know, you make a lot of sense in your first 2 paragraphs, but the 3rd is just ridiculous and I think you know it.

NYC is the financial capital of the US and probably always will be. It's a fantastic, affluent city.

Still, what is your definition of poor when you talk about upstate?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
After reading through alot of good posts I figured I would add my two cents.

1. Some people are blaming NYC or Albany for the high real estate taxes. But I am looking at a newsletter from my town called "Babylon Update" that specifically says that SCHOOL taxes, which are LOCAL, account for a whopping 66.29% of the average Babylon taxpayers tax bill. The other third goes to everything from the Town, the County, highways and fire districts. No real estate taxes goes to NYC or Albany.

2. For those who say that Upstate would "crumble" if it were separated I can only point to other states that seem to get by with only smaller cities or sometimes no real cities at all.

3. Finally this is for those in Western New York who blame NYC or Albany for their problems. Look around at the other states who border the Great Lakes, its not just New York. Is Albany or NYC responsible for the so called "Free Trade" and the the factories moving overseas? Is Albany responsible for what happened to parts of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania etc.?

I don't think so! I think you should look further south to the D.C. area for the real villians.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Who said anything about not wanting to go or live in NYC?
And plenty of people love living in upstate. Some people like living in rural areas. Some people like living in mid sized cities. Some people like living in mountains, etc. Some people don't like paying super high real estate prices. You are not the spokesperson for most peole.
And what do your ramblings have anything to do with my post about the business/tax climate?
My point is simply Tax breaks aren't going to dramatically alter the condition of upstate NY. Taxes are not the cause of the decline of Upstate NY, snow is. People are just moving away from snow and they aren't coming back. And they are taking their businesses with them. Upstate was nationally relevant during the Erie/Barge Canal era as the center of the country, but it's just not anymore. My opin is just that a mere tax break is not going to attract Bloomberg to move his financial network to Albany to save 5%. He and others like him feel is is well worth the extra money to live their lives in the thriving culture of NYC. NYC is worth the money, Upsate is not worth the savings. If they want to save 5% they can do that in Dallas or Atlanta where at least they don't have to shovel.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:54 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Upstate was nationally relevant during the Erie/Barge Canal era as the center of the country, but it's just not anymore.
Yes, Buffalo = the UPS store of the 1800-early 1900's. The Erie canal is no longer relavant. The government went ahead with the Eisenhower interstate projects and invested in airports instead of railways. Coal and nuclear power plants can be set up anywhere so Niagrara Falls is not important anymore. Mix that will increasing labor costs, taxes, regulations, NAFTA, and the St. Lawrence seaway and you have todays Buffalo. Buffalo was relavant because it was in the center of the industrial cities and made shipping to and from these cities easy. Buffalo simply does not have the position in the trade and industrial world it once did.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
My point is simply Tax breaks aren't going to dramatically alter the condition of upstate NY. Taxes are not the cause of the decline of Upstate NY, snow is. People are just moving away from snow and they aren't coming back. And they are taking their businesses with them. Upstate was nationally relevant during the Erie/Barge Canal era as the center of the country, but it's just not anymore. My opin is just that a mere tax break is not going to attract Bloomberg to move his financial network to Albany to save 5%. He and others like him feel is is well worth the extra money to live their lives in the thriving culture of NYC. NYC is worth the money, Upsate is not worth the savings. If they want to save 5% they can do that in Dallas or Atlanta where at least they don't have to shovel.
You couldn't be more wrong. Most people aren't moving because of snow. They move because of jobs. People go where jobs are. If snow were the case, then places like Boston, Toronto or Minneapolis wouldn't be flourishing. The businesses move because of taxes and cost of doing business. This has been pretty well documented. Look at Tom Golisano. He is moving out of upstate because of taxes, not the snow.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:

I don't think you have ever been upstate judging by this extremely ignorant, inaccurate post. To paint the state as poor shows your lack of knowledge. There are thousands and thousands of people with well paying jobs who own large homes in my area. I am not jealous of anything.
To say that the rest of the state is worthless proves you have no clue what you are talking about. There is a large amount of agriculture upstate. There are the wineries. There are top tier colleges. There are important tech jobs in each upstate metro.
Perhaps you should do some research into why so much money is sent up here. It is because of policies put forth by downstate politicians(this point has been brought up several times). The people upstate did not ask for the policies that create the atmosphere that gets the money sent up here. People like Sheldon Silver have a large amount of influence and helps a great deal into creating the policy that dictates as to why we have these high taxes and cost of doing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City