Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami (South FL) energy or Los Angeles energy
Miami 49 54.44%
Los Angeles 41 45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Not true. In Miami you are getting a compact easier to navigate city than you would get in LA.

In Miami you are not only getting better nightlife, better air, better navigation, but you are also getting a better vibrant city.

Los Angeles is too spread out, and it's main core isn't very happening or vibrant I wouldn't say.

Los Angeles is a suburban city, its urban center (downtown) is not it's most vibrant thing, it's metro is.

With that also comes bad traffic, bad air, having to use a car everywhere, more headaches.. etc..

Miami is so much more fun, been to both, no contest.
You can say the same thing about Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You can say the same thing about Miami.
True that both have suburbs, but the reality is there is no escaping suburbia outside the "city".

When people go to the "city" (urban core) they are expecting the urban experience
-- > Meaning walkability , everything at your fingertips, easy to navigate w/ or w/o a car.

When people go to a suburban city, they are "near" the city , but typically they have to drive everywhere and need a car from place to place to be apart of the "action" freeways are often very popular in places like these, because of that , that causes horrible traffic, and horrible air quality. Also Many of the residents live in a SFH or garden style apartment complex.

A lot of people in LA think they are really living in the "city" when realistically, all they are living in are a bunch of densely populated suburbs.

Los Angeles urban center for being the 2nd largest "city" is not impressive at all.

The main reason being :

The primary focus in Miami is it's downtown
The primary focus in Los Angeles is it's metro.

There are two different types of a "cities"

An urban city as I call it , is the core of the city, where it's primary focus is on an urban setting, downtown is the highlight, people are living in high rises with everything at your fingertips. An urban city walkable, vibrant, active, and is one of the primary things people want to visit when they go.

Examples include Philly , Chicago, Miami, NYC, SF

A suburban city on the other hand has some of the same characteristics of an urban city, I mean it does have a "downtown" but the biggest difference here is that in a suburban city, the urban core isn't the main highlight of the city, but instead the metro and surroundings is. That is EXACTLY what Los Angeles is, except on steroids. Other example of suburban cities include but not limited to : San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, etc.

See the difference?

Last edited by cityKing; 01-17-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
The main reason being :

The primary focus in Miami is it's downtown
The primary focus in Los Angeles is it's metro.

There are two different types of a "cities"
The primary focus of Miami is the beaches (in the metro area).

Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
No offense, but isn't downtown Miami mostly condos?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
The primary focus of Miami is the beaches (in the metro area).
There is a bay in Miami, but not a beach, that is Miami Beach you are talking about, get your facts right (lol)

The actual city of Miami is the one with skyscrapers, and big buildings, just incase you didn't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Condos/Dining/Nightlife/ everything you can imagine is downtown, that right there is a true city experience.

The best part it is actually happening and vibrant and fun. and it feels alive when you go there unlike it's counterpart LA.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's cute how urban he thinks Miami is.

Oh I hate to break it to you CityKing, but most people in Los Angeles live in multifamily dwellings.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
Delusions of grandeur

Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It's cute how urban he thinks Miami is.

Oh I hate to break it to you CityKing, but most people in Los Angeles live in multifamily dwellings.
I think it is very cute, that LA is the second largest "city" in the United States, but has a mediocre urban setting at best, and when people refer to "LA" they are really referring to the entire county and not the actual "city" itself.. Aww..how cute.. it tries at least!

Oh I hate to break it you MunchItUp, but most people in "Los Angeles" live in SFH and garden style apartments, sounds pretty suburban to me.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
I think it is very cute, that LA is the second largest "city" in the United States, but has a mediocre urban setting at best, and when people refer to "LA" they are really referring to the entire county and not the actual "city" itself.. Aww..how cute.. it tries at least!

Oh I hate to break it you MunchItUp, but most people in "Los Angeles" live in SFH and garden style apartments, sounds pretty suburban to me.
No statistically the majority live in multifamily housing.

From this site:
Detached houses in 2009 (21.0% of all units)

Townhouses or other attached units in 2009 (14.7% of all units)

Housing units in 2-unit structures in 2009 (7.0% of all units)

Housing units in 3-to-4-unit structures (12.4% of all units)

Housing units in 5-or-more-unit structures
(44.6% of all units)

I'd love to see some of these garden style apartments everyone in LA supposedly lives in. I wonder how Miami compares....

Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No statistically the majority live in multifamily housing.

From this site:
Detached houses in 2009 (21.0% of all units)

Townhouses or other attached units in 2009 (14.7% of all units)

Housing units in 2-unit structures in 2009 (7.0% of all units)

Housing units in 3-to-4-unit structures (12.4% of all units)

Housing units in 5-or-more-unit structures
(44.6% of all units)

I'd love to see some of these garden style apartments everyone in LA supposedly lives in.
Just because it is a multi-family apartment complex does not mean it is not a garden style apartment. (lol). You can literally have 2000 people living in a garden style apartment complex. All a "garden style" really means is that it is a commercial multifamily apartment complex located in the suburbs and not in the actual urban core itself, that's all it means, it's pretty common sense, nothing more , nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City