Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And you guys wonder why you get clowned
As if that could ever happen-by you much less....Ha!

It appears that once again, people don't want to look at actual proof, but rely on their own opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post

i challenge any of the bay area posters to name all their "ethnic" diversity not racial.
I challenge you and your fellow cheerleaders to do the research and provide real numbers instead of speaking out of your @ss. Please, simply telling us something is meaningless.

In the meantime, the Bay Area remains more racially diverse than New York and there is NOTHING you can do or say to refute that. Period.

Next.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I challenge you and your fellow cheerleaders to do the research and provide real numbers instead of speaking out of your @ss. Please, simply telling us something is meaningless.

In the meantime, the Bay Area remains more racially diverse than New York and there is NOTHING you can do or say to refute that. Period.

Next.
racially means nothing , how many ethnic groups do you have backing up your races?

answer that...o yea you cant

NEXT

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
why are these bay area bloggers in denial about their cities poor ethnic diversity??? they want so much credit that they think race means diversity

not all whites are a like , not all blacks are alike , not all hispanics are alike

last time i checked Haitians , and African Americans are black then again Haitians speak creole , and African Americans speak English , so much for racial diversity huh

Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Why do people insist on calling it San Fran......is it really that hard to type the extra 5 letters? It's like leaving the ago off Chicago.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
ok as i read this thread i am noticing that the bar area posters or the defenders of the bay cant actually name their diversity but are showing ridiculous sources that don't back up anything they say.
Hmmm. Good observation. So where are YOUR sources that back up what YOU say since you're the one running your mouth here?

Quote:
bay area once again only has ethnical diversity in its asian population(nyc does to)

but what about all the other races??

Why speak when you don't know what you're even talking about? I went to high school in a part of the Bay that wasn't even considered particularly diverse by our area's standards, and there were over 60 languages spoken in it. In a majority-white school of about 1,300 there were substantial groups of (aside from regular white or black Americans who don't identify by ethnicity) Chinese, Filipinos, Armenians, Mexicans, Tongans, Nicaraguans, Guatamalens, Salvadorans, Japanese, Koreans, Fijian-Indians, and Russians, and immigrants from Austria, Ireland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Israel, Iran, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, mainland China, India, Egypt, Bolivia, Palestine, Jordan, and the Ukraine.

Not to mention several ethnic Hawaiians and people of various Native American descent, or white kids who DID identify by their ethnicity such as Irish, Italian, French, Swiss, Estonian, etc. There were also kids I knew at my school who were of various other ancestry like Chamorro, Maorian, Basque, Portuguese, Trinidadian, Puerto Rican, Chilean and Samoan. There were even a couple kids from Africa, though I can't recall which countries they were from. (If it helps I'm currently in school with people who are Eritrean, Ghanaian, Nigerian and one dude from Cameroon.) I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but these were what I could remember off the top of my head.

That was just my high school in the mid-90's. I could write an essay listing all the different ethnic groups I've been exposed to at work, school, through friends, met at random, or kicked it with over the years since then. I could name you (mostly Asian) ethnic groups out here that I'd bet money you've never even heard of before.

But the Bay only has diversity in its Asian population though, right??

(Just fyi, I'm neither BS-ing nor exaggerating. I literally listed the ethnicities of folks I knew in high school that I could recall. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that my high school is not even considered diverse for this area, or that what I listed was just the tip of the iceberg.)

Quote:
does the bay area black population have over 20 groups of different countries representing it?
Representing it in force? No. Representing it at all? Yeah, of course it does! There may not be too many Afro-Caribbean blacks here, but they do exist. Although they are very likely outnumbered by Africans. I've come across way more Nigerians, Ghanaians, Ethiopians, Eritreans and other African ethnicities than I have Caribbeans out here. But they all exist here to some degree. Hell, my homegirl's mom is Jamaican and my buddy's brother-in-law is Nigerian!
Quote:
does the bay area hispanic population has nearly all the hispanic countries representing it? or how about the white population??? no it does not
Now you're just talking out your a$$. What do you know about the Bay's ethnic makeup? Obviously not a whole lot. I've already addressed this above, but just to clarify, I knew Guatamalens and Nicaraguans before I knew a lot of Mexicans. I've run into Puerto Ricans out here throughout my life. I currently have more Salvadoran friends than I do Mexicans. A program I'm using right now on this same computer I got from my buddy from Venezuela. I've known more Brazilians out here than I can count, and I've known quite a few Argentinians as well. There are still cultural centers in my local area for Irish, Italians, Portuguese, Basque, and other European ethnic groups. One of my buddies has to speak Italian to his parents and translate for us b/c don't even speak English. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

Seriously man, check your facts before running your mouth.

Quote:
i challenge any of the bay area posters to name all their "ethnic" diversity not racial.
Challenge accepted. See above.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
another thing how are you going to say stats dont show nyc is that much ethnically diverse? is this a joke?? i think we need to have a ethnic challenge instead of using dear old technology

name all the white, Hispanic , and black elasticities in san fran, and we will compare it to nyc

san fran only has asian ethnicity over nyc , while nyc has over 15 - 20 groups representing all of our races.
Where the hell is "san fran?" You don't see us calling NYC "new-yo" or something else lame like that, so why you gotta do us like that? What's so difficult about just calling it SF?

And elasticities? What are you even talking about here? If you wanna keep challenging people why don't you come with some facts, or at least something better than just listing off a bunch of tiny islands that are extremely similar and have a collective population of a small suburb as NYC's answer to diversity. I could just as easily say that "new-yo" ONLY has Caribbean ethnic groups providing its "diversity," but I'm not an idiot.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
racially means nothing , how many ethnic groups do you have backing up your races?

NEXT
How does racial diversity mean NOTHING? So if NYC was 100% black but had its black population divided between St. Lucian's and Bajans and the like it would still be super-diverse??

Think before you speak.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
NYC without a doubt.

New York/New Jersey has a large population of South American/African/Carribean immigrants which the Bay Area lacks, in addition to a large Asian & Central American community. That being said the Bay Area has a much larger Mexican/Vietnamese/Salvadorean/Polynesian population than the Tri State Area.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
why are these bay area bloggers in denial about their cities poor ethnic diversity??? they want so much credit that they think race means diversity
Why are some of these NY posters so immensely thick-headed??? You guys want so much credit that you think having a bunch of tiny nations with total populations of barely over 25 people counts for more than the various ethnic groups that come out of the largest and most populous continent in the world?

Quote:
not all whites are a like , not all blacks are alike , not all hispanics are alike
DUUUUUUUHHHHHH.

Hey guess what. NOT ALL ASIANS OR PACIFIC ISLANDERS ARE ALIKE EITHER!!!!!

Quote:
last time i checked Haitians , and African Americans are black then again Haitians speak creole , and African Americans speak English , so much for racial diversity huh

Last edited by jman650; 05-18-2010 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City