Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 PM

40 posts, read 229,907 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are planning to visit Wilmington at the end of Jan. and hopefully move up by March. We are currently in South Beach, Miami, via NYC and are looking for a more affordable city to settle in. We are both mid 30's, no kids, and heard/read that Wilmington is an upcoming city. I have a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

*I heard about an area called the Brooklyn Arts District. Can someone please tell me what is it like, size of the area, types of businesses?

*Is there an area in between downtown and the beach with food/coffee in walking distance. (Besides Mayfaire)

*How far are the closest mountains from Wilmington?

*Is Wilmington considered to be a dog friendly city?

*Any thoughts on art and fashion in Wilmington?

We are by no means looking for a "mini New York City" but don't want to get stuck in a place with no culture......which is why Wilmington sounds good.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 71,749 times
Hi Dogluvr

Wilmington definitely has culture and is a dog loving town. There are many dog friendly areas, especially the loop at Wrightsville Beach.

You mentioned the Brooklyn Arts District. It is an up and coming area. It is located on 4th Street, on the North side of Downtown. There are several Condo developments and several more coming. It is not the only area to buy in historic downtown. There is really alot that is planned for downtown that you can't see. Several projects are in the planning stages right now. There also many restored lofts over the various stores downtown. You won't find these advertised in a magazine (excluding local re mags). Some of them are located in very old buildings, but once you get inside, they are very luxurious and right on the water. Then there are many amazing historic homes that have been restored with picture perfect entry ways and garden courtyards in the back - all within walking distance of the many shops and restaurants.

Besides Mayfaire, Lumina Station is a very cool local shopping area with excellent restaurants and boutique clothing stores. There are a few residential areas in walking distance. Lumina Station is right on the other side (Wilmington side) of Wrightsville Beach. But this isn't a mixed planned development like Mayfaire. Autumn Hall is mixed planned development (where comercial and residential real estate co-exist) that has just broken dirt. I am not sure if they have a projected date for completition yet.

As far as art and fashion, check out these sites (Wilmington has a growing art and fashion community - as well as a strong film industry presence):
Focus on the Coast Magazine
Currents
Creative Wilmington
Encore

Mountains? 6 or so hours.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!

Last edited by WaltDowdy; 12-31-2007 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The links were very helpful. The downtown area seems to be more our style than a mixed plan development but they look like nice places to shop.

I spent some summers in Asheville as a kid and know how beautiful the mountains are there. I guess I thought there would be mountainous areas somewhat closer than 6 hours. You have to keep in mind that small hills seem wonderful to me though since I've lived in a concrete jungle for so long.
Have a very Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 37,840 times
Question Why Wilmington?

Asheville is great. I've been both places and are wondering why you would choose Wilmington over Asheville?

Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Well, mostly the beach. After living in Miami and being able to walk a few blocks to the beach, it would be hard to give up. Plus Wilmington seems to have a creative industry with the film studio and several art galleries. I haven't been yet so it's hard to give much input.....which is why I'm asking for some insight.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM

83 posts, read 367,620 times
Default Wilmington vs Asheville in respect to the arts...

...are you kidding? Wilmington arts and culture...only if you consider a "hate fest" arts and culture. You need to do a quick search on Asheville arts but some of the highlights are:
The Biltmore Estate
The Grove Park Inn
The Folk Art Center
The Grove Arcade
The Blue Ridge Parkway
The Southerh Highlands Craft Guild
Wall Street (Downtown)
These are just a few.

As a dog lover...it took us forever to find a competent and dependable Vet. A new place finally opened up...Wilmington Animal Healthcare which is great. We still haven't found a competent groomer for our cocker. We thought we had found one but the last time I called her she never returned my call...this after giving her a $20 tip! See my previous post about competent/reliable repairmen.

If you have a choice...please strongly consider Asheville.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Wilmington Animal Health care........Excellent, I'll make a note of it!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM

7 posts, read 47,987 times
Default Culture????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are planning to visit Wilmington at the end of Jan. and hopefully move up by March. We are currently in South Beach, Miami, via NYC and are looking for a more affordable city to settle in. We are both mid 30's, no kids, and heard/read that Wilmington is an upcoming city. I have a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

*I heard about an area called the Brooklyn Arts District. Can someone please tell me what is it like, size of the area, types of businesses?

*Is there an area in between downtown and the beach with food/coffee in walking distance. (Besides Mayfaire)

*How far are the closest mountains from Wilmington?

*Is Wilmington considered to be a dog friendly city?

*Any thoughts on art and fashion in Wilmington?

We are by no means looking for a "mini New York City" but don't want to get stuck in a place with no culture......which is why Wilmington sounds good.
Thanks!
Do yourself a favor and by-pass Wilmington. I'm sure I'll get hammered for this, but I will give you my opinion. I'am in my mid-30's, wife & one small child, I'm also a small business owner here in Wilmington, right up from the Mayfair actually. Most people that enjoy wilmington are the older, more fortunate transplants, that leave the north east with there wad of cash from there $700,000 home sale, find a quaint neighborhood, spend $350k on a house, and relax on the rest, never leave there little area, life is good, they may golf, but thats it! They think its WONDERFUL!!! What a croc!! Wilmington is a drug infested, crime haven, filled with weirdo natives, racial tension, and terrible schools. The beach?? Old red-neck fisherman or wild drunk collage kids in the summer. 4th street?? Great if your a crack addict or looking for people wanting crack. Don't believe me?? Check out city comparisions on sperlings best places to live.net. Its all there. One of the highest crime areas per-capita in the US. The only town worse than here is maybe myrtle beach. Need cultrure? Better head way up I-95 NORTH!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 AM

83 posts, read 367,620 times
OLSkOO72 you won't get hammered when you speak the truth. You are exactly right. The only people who like it...for now... are the transplants from the north with a wad of cash. In my opinion they are what make this place a hate fest. Everyone is on the defensive from the streets to the shops. You go into a place like Lowes and the staff has been worked over by a condescending arrogant smuck with the wad of cash and holier than thou attitude. You are patient and nice but they are already beaten and you get rotten service and attitude. I feel for those people. Same thing with common courtesy...you hold the door for one person they say thanks...the next one here has the attitude of why don't you wash my car while you are at it? Same thing on the streets...if you let one person out in traffic more try to take advantage of it. I hate that it has come to this...but as a rule I don't hold the door or let anyone out in traffic here anymore.
You are spot on regarding the crime...something going on daily and growing. Infrastructure is horrible...how about all the sewer problems in Wilmington. Outside of town many places still do not have city or county water where you are relegated to an iron laced well that is probably contaminated from pig farms (Smithfield) upstream. And the job market...I will save that for a seperate post. Hope to talk to you more olskool...I am thinking about starting a website to inform people more. www.wilmingtonblows.com (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,487 times
Hi Dogluvr. I, myself am a huge dog lover as well I encourage you to visit Wilmington and decide for yourself. I am not a transplant. I am an NC native who has lived here for 13 years and I love it. I am in my early 30's as well and think it's a great place to be. My husband is in his mid-30's. He relocated down here from Boston 13 years ago and he absolutely loves it too. From what it sounds like you are looking for, I think you will really like the area. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina