Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times

Advertisements

Plumbing, Electrical and framing inspections are done, brick is up, I'm sheetrocking next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 13,549 times
We attended the Builders Expo a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed speaking with the builders there, and seeing a bunch of homes. Would certainly appreciate any recommendations for a builder, in the "guild" or not. Looking to build a home of ~2800 sq. ft., single story with bonus room above 2-car garage.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Redbullsfan, scroll back a few pages to Post # 1116, I gave my thoughts on the subject.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 13,549 times
Thanks, Stonecreek! I respect your opinion, as your career was in construction here in NJ.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,604 times
Default how's the fishing ?

Just finished reading most of the posts on SJP and found this forum to be very informative. My wife and I are both young retirees currently living in RI, near the coast, and trying to decide if we should move farther south for the long haul.
Sounds like the lifestyle at SJP would fit our personalities, but one thing I didn't see in any of the posts ( OK, I didn't read every one ...) is what the options are for fishing . I currently have a 21 ' boat kept at a marina, and frequently head out to the ocean for sport fishing trips. I have also done a lot of freshwater bass fishing . If we do decide to move, I would definitely need some fishing nearby to keep me busy .
We don't golf or play tennis, so those amenities are not a big draw for us, but I would have to have my fishing.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the fishing/boating opportunities? I know there is a big marina with wet and dry slips, but is there good fishing down there ? I usually don't like to run the boat more than 45 minutes to get to a location ; where can you go from the marina in this time frame ?
Also, do any resales come with boat slips ? I think the slip is purchased at SJP, but I would imagine there must be wet slip rentals as well ? We pay $3000 per season up here for a 21' boat.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM

Do they fish down here ? Let me see now..... why yes, as a matter of fact they do.

The town of Southport is a quaint, sleepy little fishing village 10 minutes from the gate. Boats are everywhere you look, can't drive down the street or highways without seeing boats everywhere. Can't get anything done on Friday afternoons, everyone has gone fishing. Banks and many businesses are closed on Saturdays... everyone has gone fishing. They fish in the intracoastal waterway ( where our marina is ), they fish off the ocean beach on Oak Island 15 minutes away, they fish off the ocean piers on Oak Island, the fish off the pier at the Southport waterfront on the Cape Fear river, they just had the Mackeral competition two weeks ago in Southport, I'm told it is one of the largest in the country. 350 boat indoor dry stack ( full ) at our marina with another 100 in the water in slips, many for rent and/or sale. when you get here they ask two questions, do you golf and do you fish..... then somebody invites you to... guess what.... go fishing. Several other marinas in Southport. The St James fishing club is quite large and very active with dinners, BBQ's, gatherings and outings all the time.

So, do they fish down here? Why yes, I believe they do.

Oak Island Fishing Pier

https://www.fishsouthport.com/

Southport/Oak Island | Fishermans Post

Offshore Fishing out of Southport NC 1.1 - YouTube

Carolina Fishing TV - Southport, NC - Wintertime Shallow water Redfish - YouTube

Southport NC A day of Fishing Pier blue fishing - YouTube

Southport Fishing Charters-Popular Southport NC Charter Boats

Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks, Stonecreek !
This looks great.....since no one had mentioned fishing in any of the many posts I had read, I wasn't sure if the marina was geared more to pleasure boaters. I will have to check out more info on SJP ; the links you provided will be a good start.
Sounds like I can get my fishing fix at SJP and be able to enjoy a nice community at the same time. Nice to know there is even a Fishing Club of members....

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Plenty to do here, we only play golf on a very rare occasion, in fact they tell me that upwards of 60% of the residents rarely play golf. Boating and fishing are biggies and the fishing club is very popular.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Another question...When you buy a home/homesite, are you allowed to alter the landscape by putting in a large koi pond ? ( assuming lot is big enough so that this does not encroach on any lot line issues ) . When I looked at listings for the homes for sale, I didn't see any with water features in the backyards. Are there landscaping restrictions ?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM

You can landscape your yard almost any way you care to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina