Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 PM

20 posts, read 44,654 times

Advertisements

Gatorbyter it looks great...and yes I am jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM

10 posts, read 23,647 times
Hi All,
We visited St. James in May and were very impressed. Highly likely we will end up there in a few years. We very much liked the new Legacy Park neighborhood under development (among others) and were considering selecting a lot once the development is officially approved. This process seems to have been delayed by a few months from the developer's original intended schedule. Apparently there is some protest about lot sizes underway and some incorrect paperwork was filed originally, all of which has contributed to the delay. There was supposed to be a community meeting last Thursday about this topic, and I was wondering if anyone on this board knows anything about this situation and has any perspective on when it might be resolved. While we are not able to build immediately, we would like to secure a lot now, and if Legacy Park is not going to happen, we would look elsewhere.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 AM

158 posts, read 315,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper709 View Post
Hi All,
We visited St. James in May and were very impressed. Highly likely we will end up there in a few years. We very much liked the new Legacy Park neighborhood under development (among others) and were considering selecting a lot once the development is officially approved. This process seems to have been delayed by a few months from the developer's original intended schedule. Apparently there is some protest about lot sizes underway and some incorrect paperwork was filed originally, all of which has contributed to the delay. There was supposed to be a community meeting last Thursday about this topic, and I was wondering if anyone on this board knows anything about this situation and has any perspective on when it might be resolved. While we are not able to build immediately, we would like to secure a lot now, and if Legacy Park is not going to happen, we would look elsewhere.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Hi Skipper,

An early welcome to SJP!

During my last visit to SJP I took a drive through the Legacy Park neighborhood. It looks nice, however I did notice how close some of the lots are to the Saint James Volunteer Fire Department. Looking at the developers web site

Legacy Park Map - St. James Plantation Real Estate

you will see a couple of brown shapes there. One is marked as the "Chapel" the other one is not marked. It is the fire station, which may or may not be a negative or positive factor for you especially if you buy lots 6-11.

I believe part of the issue with the lots is that they do not require the same sized set-backs as the typical of other lots in SJP (allowing more homes in to a smaller area).

There was an article in the Wilmington Star News on July 16th:

Attorneys duel over St. James appeal | StarNewsOnline.com

Good luck with your lot buying adventure!!

Paul

Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
I believe part of the issue with the lots is that they do not require the same sized set-backs as the typical of other lots in SJP (allowing more homes in to a smaller area).

There was an article in the Wilmington Star News on July 16th:

Attorneys duel over St. James appeal | StarNewsOnline.com
Thanks Paul. The article talks about 5 foot setbacks from the lot lines. That would mean potentially 10 feet between houses. Would anyone want to be that close to neighbors in a luxury development? I really hope it does not succeed with those setbacks.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 23,647 times
Thanks Paul - the article was helpful. We actually are holding a lot which backs up to the pond - and I appreciate your heads up about the Firehouse. Backing up to a service building would not be our choice. The point about the setbacks is one I will have to watch closely - 10 feet between homes seems awfully tight. Since the development wasn't formally platted, it was difficult to get a final look at how the lots will lay out. Regardless of whether we end up in Legacy Park or one of the other neighborhoods, we are really looking forward to it. The residents we met on our short visit were super, the amenities first class, and the overall feel of the place, just terrific.
I appreciate your quick replies guys.
thanks
Skip

Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM

158 posts, read 315,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Thanks Paul. The article talks about 5 foot setbacks from the lot lines. That would mean potentially 10 feet between houses. Would anyone want to be that close to neighbors in a luxury development? I really hope it does not succeed with those setbacks.
Quote:
Thanks Paul - the article was helpful. We actually are holding a lot which backs up to the pond - and I appreciate your heads up about the Firehouse. Backing up to a service building would not be our choice. The point about the setbacks is one I will have to watch closely - 10 feet between homes seems awfully tight. Since the development wasn't formally platted, it was difficult to get a final look at how the lots will lay out. Regardless of whether we end up in Legacy Park or one of the other neighborhoods, we are really looking forward to it. The residents we met on our short visit were super, the amenities first class, and the overall feel of the place, just terrific.
thanks
Skip
You are both quite welcome!

So far, the people I have met at SJP all seem amazing friendly.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Does anyone have information about the indoor pool at St James? How large is it? Olympic size? How crowded does it get in the winter? Does anyone have a picture?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM

140 posts, read 317,462 times
I can't speak about the pool in St.James but I swim four times a week at the Brunswick Community College pool. It's an eight lane 25 yard pool and has a companion warm water therapy pool. Between the two pools they have a least a dozen exercise classes a week. The complex is only 15 minutes from St. James

The lap pool is rarely crowded and getting a lane to yourself for lap swimming is never a problem. Every fall they start up the masters swim team program so if your an intermediate swimmer or above its a great way to improve your speed and teqnique.

Within the pool complex is a large weight room with both free weights and machines.

Ron W

Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 PM

383 posts, read 892,163 times
Ok, a couple notes about recent posts. Regarding Legacy Park, I heard that the setback are the issue. I will note that 5ft setback lines is not unique to St. James neighborhoods. I believe with the exception of the Reserve, the other communities have 5 ft. setbacks left to right. In terms of Legacy Park when you look at the lots you have to consider that some are close to the pumping station, which IMHO is not desirable.

On another note, is are any City-Data friend going to be down at SJP the week leading up to Labor day? We should plan an event at TT.

Pony

Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
thanks
Skip
We own a golf course pond lot in Ocean Ridge Plantation and our lot set back is 50 feet (for the actual home itself - not the back yard) !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina